PDA

View Full Version : HDMI vs Component video

Red Square
09-20-2005, 07:23 PM
who has used both HDMI and Component video cables on a LCD television? i just want to know if there is a big/noticeable difference in clearity between the two.

pwave16
09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
There is no connection currently available that is better than hdmi. If you have high-def calbe or satellite the difference is amazing. Also, if you have a quality dvd player there will be a noticable differece. HDMI is hands down better in our shop we run one feed off HDMI and one Component - Lcd, plasma, DLP all benefit greatly from HDMI.

zero.counter
09-20-2005, 07:44 PM
From component to HDMI, thus far seems negligible...MO however. High definition cable looks slightly better, but I think to most, the placebo kicks in.

Red Square
09-20-2005, 07:56 PM
There is no connection currently available that is better than hdmi. If you have high-def calbe or satellite the difference is amazing. Also, if you have a quality dvd player there will be a noticable differece. HDMI is hands down better in our shop we run one feed off HDMI and one Component - Lcd, plasma, DLP all benefit greatly from HDMI.

cool.... that what i was told.

but now, if i get a dvd player with HDMI (samsung DVD-HD850). do you think the HDMI cable it comes with is good enough or should i get a Monster HDMI cable? is there going to be a noticeable difference with a $90 Monster Cable?

theicecreamdan
09-20-2005, 08:59 PM
are you HARDCORE audio video guy? if not I doubt a $90 cable would be justifiable. But if you cream yourself over all that stuff, then maybe it would be worth it.

Jeff240sx
09-20-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm agreeing here. HD television is many times better than basic low-def television. But from there.. I can't agree with spending so much more on a cable.
-Jeff

S14DB
09-20-2005, 10:23 PM
I would compare it to the difference between VGA and a DVI connection on a computer LCD.

pwave16
09-21-2005, 07:15 AM
For most people the HDMI cable that comes with the DVD player is fine. The Monster Cable HDMI is a better cable, but is it $90 better? Hard call, I'd probably say no.

S14DB
09-21-2005, 11:10 AM
A high quality Component cable would be worth it cause it's Analog and signal degradation is more progressive. But, HDMI is a digital cable and there is just a threshold of it ether works or doesn't. I doubt you would get a interference issue with a short run from the box to the TV.

bp057
09-21-2005, 03:24 PM
The cable with the DVD should be plenty. Take the 90 and get yourself a decent power filter, or at least surge protector.

crioten
09-21-2005, 07:00 PM
are you HARDCORE audio video guy? if not I doubt a $90 cable would be justifiable. But if you cream yourself over all that stuff, then maybe it would be worth it.

lol, look at where he lives...

last time i checked, they are all pretty rich there :)

$90 to him probably is like $1 to us regular joes who make $10 an hour :)

Nan Desu Ka?!
09-22-2005, 01:45 AM
wows.... ok im here to save the day.

p.s. i work at good guys, i know this shit.

HDMI is WAAAAAAAAAAY better than component. All digital, no Dig. to Analog conversion = better picture AND SOUND! remeber HDMI supports dolby digital. Also, you will be able to take advantage of progressive scan on ur dvd player. the DVDHD850 is ok, the LG (LGDVB418) is better, and sony's new one... umm shit cant remeber the model but it is like 199$ (i just order one for a customer too =/) is even better with more featurs/settings.

NO THE CABLE IT COMES WITH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH! for fucks sake ppl, if you buy a 3k+ LCD tv, 200$ dvd player and whatever other components you have WHY do u want to skimp on the ONE thing that connects all those great components together?? i really dont get it. do it right the first time! 90-100$ for an all digital connection is worth it hands down. u WILL notice a difference, i know i do. then again i look at this shit all day... but still its noticable.

as far as interconnects go, u cant go wrong with monster... ever. gold connectors, one peice design, awsome shielding. its an obvious choice.

hope this helps. oh yeah and on the up-converting dvd players, remeber, you have to SET it to display at 1080i, it doesnt come that way outta the box. i have soooooo many people mess that one up.

if you have ANY q's let me know. i live this shit everyday lol.

Nan Desu Ka?!
09-22-2005, 01:49 AM
The cable with the DVD should be plenty. Take the 90 and get yourself a decent power filter, or at least surge protector.

p.s. he is right about the surge/power filter/conditioner

get something with digital filtration for all those spiffy new digital components. digital noise in ur system sucks :(

i would recomend looking into either the Monster MPHTS3500, MPHTS3600 (which is EXACTLY the same as the 3500 only it has a digital voltage readout. the 3500 has an analogue and the 3500 is 100$ less), or even the MPHTS5100 if you have 2 or more all digital devices like a sat or cable reciever, dvd player, game system, etc.

rancid240
09-22-2005, 11:00 AM
HDMI is WAAAAAAAAAAY better than component. All digital, no Dig. to Analog conversion = better picture AND SOUND! remeber HDMI supports dolby digital. Also, you will be able to take advantage of progressive scan on ur dvd player. the

Component doesnt support progressive?

S14DB
09-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Component doesn't support progressive?
Yeah, It does. I'm running it now. Sounds like a salesman not an expert to me. I hate going to those superstores and having the guy rattle off features he's memorized.

pwave16
09-22-2005, 03:02 PM
HDMI supports more lines of resolution than component -period-. HDMI is THE best cable offered as of yet and is the only one that will TRULY run 720p 108I. This is not some bullshit trying to sell you response, this is the honest 100% factual truth. I deal with this stuff everyday and I can assure you my answer is unbiased.

Thats not to say that component will not give you a great picture. I am personally using component in my house. Why?? Not because it is better, but because I cannot afford a DVD player that upconverts to HD, a high def satellite or cable box+programming, nor a tv or reciever that accepts HDMI. One day when I can I will surely upgrade to this and if you are running any type of high end theater or want the absolute best quality-this is the only way to go.

boosteds13
09-22-2005, 03:31 PM
...keeping my mouth shut.

S14DB
09-22-2005, 03:40 PM
p.s. he is right about the surge/power filter/conditioner

get something with digital filtration for all those spiffy new digital components. digital noise in ur system sucks :(

i would recommend looking into either the Monster MPHTS3500, MPHTS3600 (which is EXACTLY the same as the 3500 only it has a digital voltage readout. the 3500 has an analogue and the 3500 is 100$ less), or even the MPHTS5100 if you have 2 or more all digital devices like a sat or cable receiver, dvd player, game system, etc.
How do you get Digital Noise thru and AC line? Isn't that a Sine Wave? :bowrofl:

The "surge/power filter/conditioner" are to supply the AC-DC converters in the Amps a constant level power so they feed a constant DC power and you don't get any distortion from any power fluctuation.

If you don't even know the difference between Analog and Digital how can you comprehend anything else?

pwave16
09-22-2005, 04:09 PM
To whomever wrote "you sell this bs everyday" on my reputation. If you know what you are talking about and present it honestly there is no need to b.s. I have NEVER sold anyone anything that was unneccessary or did not benefit them in achieving the systems they want. I am sorry that you must have had bad experiences with people selling you sh*t you did not need, but do not put that tag on all salespeople. I work for a custom shop and we try to help those of you who have been F*cked by all the big box stores. Thats why when this man asked a question I told him there is a difference and gave him my recommendation and did not say something to the effect of "Hey I can sell you one for $xx.xx

SochBAT
09-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Not a grievence forum. Wootage!

Im not much of a TV guy, but better def is always better! We've got these HUGE plasmas at work that i am thinkin of commandeering for my own personal use for lack of gettin paid on time.

Nan Desu Ka?!
10-05-2005, 07:42 PM
How do you get Digital Noise thru and AC line? Isn't that a Sine Wave? :bowrofl:

The "surge/power filter/conditioner" are to supply the AC-DC converters in the Amps a constant level power so they feed a constant DC power and you don't get any distortion from any power fluctuation.

If you don't even know the difference between Analog and Digital how can you comprehend anything else?

wrong dumbass, a power conditioner is NOT a voltage stabalizer, they are completely different. conditioners take EMI, radio frequencies, group loop noise and yes digital noise (most new digital tv's and such dont even have a grounded power cord... only 2 prongs). when you plug in any digital device into a shared power souce/strip it WILL transfer that noise to any other components hooked to the same line.

im not trying to sell anything, just informing. and when the shit did i say component DOESNT support progressive scan? yeah, thats what i thought. dont put words in my mouth.

and if you dont think monster knows what it doing ask yourself this: do you really think Noel Lee (creator/owner/master engineer) doesnt know what hes doing? he and his company have won NUMEROUS electrical engineering awards. what have you done lately besides give me negative rep becuase u THINK you know what ur talking about. :newbie:

peace.

pwave16
10-05-2005, 08:37 PM
^^^ Very stern way of putting it, but he is correct!

S14DB
10-05-2005, 10:00 PM
wrong dumbass, a power conditioner is NOT a voltage stabalizer, they are completely different. conditioners take EMI, radio frequencies, group loop noise and yes digital noise (most new digital tv's and such dont even have a grounded power cord... only 2 prongs). when you plug in any digital device into a shared power souce/strip it WILL transfer that noise to any other components hooked to the same line.How can you have digital noise on a analog source? Ground plug is for surge control not noise.

im not trying to sell anything, just informing. and when the shit did i say component DOESNT support progressive scan? yeah, thats what i thought. dont put words in my mouth.You didn't dumbass. rancid240 did. When did I say you did?

and if you dont think monster knows what it doing ask yourself this: do you really think Noel Lee (creator/owner/master engineer) doesnt know what hes doing? he and his company have won NUMEROUS electrical engineering awards. what have you done lately besides give me negative rep becuase u THINK you know what ur talking about. :newbie:

peace.
So you go to swinging off his nut sack? He has done a lot to get people off using shitty lamp cord. Lately his prices and products have gotten insane.

All I see is you re-spewing what you have heard from others. unless you know how digital switching power supplies work. I don't expect you to get my point.

Nan Desu Ka?!
10-05-2005, 11:22 PM
im suprised you think you know so much about this but have never heard of ground noise?

anyway im sure noel lee and his company know what they are doing or so many audio/video magazines wouldnt praise him so much. I have hooked up countless systems at customer's houses and you hear a definate difference b/w conditioned power and unconditioned power. especially in the audio. so no, im not just regurgitating shit i learned, im talking from experience.

if you dont belive it fine but dont try and tell me im wrong. agree to dissagree. done.

p.s. thanks for not being immature and pinking me.