PDA

View Full Version : attn: Paypal Users, New paypal scam out..

mistaanime
09-09-2005, 09:06 AM
FYI, if you guys use paypal be careful of scammers out there on the internet. I recieved this email and it they make it seem very real. Not only does it make you think your logging on to the account to lift your suspension but also asks for your credit card number to confirm. I just wanted to point this out to you guys. Better safe than sorry.

The subject title will probaly along the lines of: "PayPal Account Suspension Notice - PayPal Account Limited"

Simon

[email protected] wrote:

Dear (my cousin's paypal account),

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your PayPal account may
have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security
of your account and of the PayPal network is our primary concern.
Therefore, as a prevention measure, we have temporarely limited access to
sensitive PayPal account features.
Please click on the link below to confirm your information:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

For more information about how to protect your account, please visit
PayPal's Security Center, accessible via the "Security Center" link located
at the bottom of each page of the PayPal website.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your
assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire PayPal
system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

The PayPal Fraud Management Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.
Copyright © 2005 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

i just got it in the mail and thought that i should pass it on since most of us use paypal..anyway..i tried to post exactly how it is on my email..but this is the best i can do..becareful you guys..

chlatboy
09-09-2005, 09:32 AM
you linked me directly to paypal. Where is the fraud website you were talking about?

Ritz S14
09-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Ok. First of all NEVER click to a direct link from your email to paypal.

If I'm suspicious of ANYTHING, that concerns my Paypal account, I manually type in the web address, and go from there. IF something IS wrong with your account paypal will alert you.

justinhustle
09-09-2005, 10:04 AM
report it to paypal

DRFT
09-09-2005, 12:51 PM
old news just updated with 2005

sw20>>s14
09-09-2005, 04:06 PM
paypal and other big companies also state that they will NEVER request your cc numbers or any other pertinent info in emails...so its good to remember that when your carelessly clicking away at your emails...

theicecreamdan
09-10-2005, 01:13 AM
there was another one I just got,

it sends you a "receipt" of a payment of some amount to somebody, and when you think back you say "but I never paid that much to that guy for a rolex watch" and you see the link that says "if this is an unauthorized payment" you think that its a good idea to report it. But then I realized that the URL for the link is a bunch of gobbledee gook, so I manually log in to paypal, and no such transaction.

91CRXsiR
09-10-2005, 04:50 AM
goto ebay download the ebay toolbar and that will protect you against fake ebay/paypal sites also you can forward the email to [email protected] / [email protected] and if it comesback real then u know it is..

most the time its not

MoK
09-10-2005, 06:18 AM
I got scamed through a fake ebay one. they got in and changed the password and tried changing the email address, but i went through ebay and talked to the security team to get it reseted. fcukin wasted my time!

Andrew Bohan
09-10-2005, 12:26 PM
phishing doesn't work if you're paying attention.

theicecreamdan
09-10-2005, 09:46 PM
at the bottom of the screen when you have the mouse over the link it shows where it will send you. If you see something like lkagdoahsgoajsgw.sdoiew.295325t2.3292js.dkasgt.htm don't click it

Redsunz916
09-10-2005, 11:42 PM
just dont respond to any paypal emails, if u do recieve them sign on to paypal, and if its real it will ask the same info, if it doesnt ask for the info, then send the email to paypal.