PDA

View Full Version : satellite installer job?

anthony240
09-05-2005, 07:42 PM
so, I got offered a job at Direct TV, to install dishes.
has anyone had experience? know anyone with?
I need to know how busy it gets, cause it pays by the job.
and if you don't post what you think, I'd like to hear some opinions

Jessi
09-07-2005, 01:14 PM
It sounds like a fun job. My boyfriend went to school to install car audio and stuff like that. He could have gotten a job like the one you were offered but didn't take it. Only because we live in Arizona and that's a lot of working outside. It gets hot. I don't have expirence, but I just thought I would share with you an opinion. I'm sure it makes good money as well.

Good luck on your decision!

Father Time
09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
depends on your area. best thing to do is talk to the other employees. I do wireless networking, so ill have to do some of the same stuff time to time. weather sucks and ive follen off 2 ladders, 1 scaffolding, down a stair case with a 10 foot ladder and a box of cat 5, and fell through 1 ceiling grid. make sure they offer a good health package.

240silvia
09-07-2005, 01:59 PM
damn, now that guy is an accident waiting to happen. Be careful man. I did HVAC for 2 years and now I work in a Nuclear plant, in the A/C, making twice as much as I did doing HVAC. What job do you do now? If it's inside, odds are you will get tried of the elements outside pretty quick.

anthony240
09-07-2005, 11:55 PM
thanks, I didn't wanna hear about falling off ladders, haha.

I appreciate the replies, the job is busy...they kept asking me about overtime and they looked shorthanded, which I actually like cuz I'd rather be busy than not doing anything.

right now i fix copy machines on location. it's hella easy, but my knees are starting to hurt from crouching, and i have about 50 grams of toner in my lungs...haha. and this new job will pay me double what i earn now. I think I might take it.

Stock-S13
09-09-2005, 12:15 AM
DO IT!

And when you doi send some P4 cards my way.

BrokenHeart
09-09-2005, 12:34 AM
My dad owns a private install company with Direct TV and Dish Network so i'll do my best to help out.

Every job has its own ease and difficulties...
Basic install would include driving to customers house, checking for a line of site to 110 and 148 (may just be the local ones) if they both hit get a dish together and mount it. NEVER MOUNT ABOVE A LIVING SPACE...EVER or you'll be in some deep deep shit. Run cat 5 to whatever head you got on it (verying on how many recievers there are you may have to diplex the line). Run the line/s through a wall, crawl space, or attic to where the recievers are going to be located. Power the reciever up and run a check switch. Get your paperwork signed and call in the job to Direct, Dish, or where ever. Drive to the next job.
Sorry if I forgot anything in there its kinda late and i need to get some sleep, but i'll correct it later.

The difficult parts come in dealing with customers.
You get a bunch of dicks who want their dish somewhere where there is no possible line of sight, tell them politly where it can go if they want tv. DON'T EVER MOUNT A DISH ABOVE A LIVING SPACE. This could lead to water damage and then your kinda fucked.

Hours can be brutal though. During the summer when I worked for the company my day usually started at 6a.m. till about 8p.m. but the pay is good.

Sorry if this isn't enough info. it's like 11:30 and it just took me three tries to type 11:30 so im kinda out of it. Post up anymore questions if you have any and i'll do my best to help out.

95Blue240sx
09-09-2005, 09:47 AM
I think you should take it Antdawwwg. I mean first of all you will be moving out of Tracy, why are you living there in the first place. Second look at your job right now, you spend most the time driving to different places. I know you dont like driving your car or that sentra around to all kinds of different locations. Third youll be closer to a more populated area, meaning youll have more than enough to keep you busy. The last and most important reason, the money. Youll be making so much more that i wont have to pay you all that money i owe you =D

Anyways dont you want to move on? Im not trying to bash you like i usually do. Im just saying ive been at my job for almost 3 years and i feel like i never have enough money, because its the truth.

Right now im looking for another job too. What Id like to try out is something home/small business networking. Ive been searching craigslist and shit but its hard to find a job that doesnt require tons of expirence. Ive also tried to apply at sbc and comcast to see if i can get a job installing dsl/cable, but nothing on their sites. Luckily i have a friend that works at comcast so im going to ask him if he can help me out. Yeah im still in school and youre not so you should be making more than me. Im moving along in my school and I think i can qualify for some kind of job rather than selling car parts to dumb ass chevy/ford guys all day long.

MOVE ON!!!!

anthony240
09-09-2005, 08:31 PM
yea I'm takin it. I been working with my current job for 2 years.
bj, you ain't gettin off that easy! I had an interview with a telephone company about installing DSL. I was gonna take it but they told me I'd have to dig/climb poles if the customer doesn't have a tel. line. that's also what I read about Cable installs, you gotta dig if they don't have a line to the house.

theicecreamdan
09-10-2005, 01:18 AM
digging trenches to run electrical/cable etc SUCKS, it usually has to be about 6 inches deeper than the solid layer of rock you encounter...