PDA

View Full Version : Shops to buy a KA in SoCal??

dacalac
08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
ok before I get flamed for this let me give you the quick background on why I'm looking for a shop and not a local seller.

My dad is paying for the KA and he wants something that has a warranty. The reason he is paying is because we need to get the car up and running as quickly as possible and my funds are limited right now. I'm trying to get the car up and running so I can sell my current car and eliminate all my current debt. And yes he will be payed back. =O)

Now I know that Gspeedcorp.com has a KA for $850 which comes with a 6 month, unlimited mile warranty. Are there any other shops that you know of that have KA's + warranty?

And once they KA is purchased, anyone wanna help throw it in? Beer + pizza would be provided!

:coold:

ALTRNTV
08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
$850 for a stock KA? I can buy 3-4 KA's for that price! Even with the warranty, it's not worth the $850.

Where are you located?

dacalac
08-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Pasadena/Alhambra area.

I know it's a high price, that's why I'm trying to shop around.

kazuo
08-30-2005, 02:52 PM
I dont think you're going to be able to get a KA with a warranty unless its brand new.

Gspeed might be the best bet since you don't want to spend a lot of money, and it has a warranty.

TAMTANIUM
08-30-2005, 03:02 PM
I would go with Gspeed

dacalac
08-30-2005, 04:00 PM
yeah I'll most likely end up going with them. I've dealt with them before for other stuff and they are pretty cool there.

So who wants to help me swap it in??

I'll provide Newcastle and Pizza!

:yum:

A Spec Products
08-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Instead of $850 for a KA from G Speed (even though yes, they are good guys and good product), why not just buy KA off a private seller, then just get a gasket kit, hoses, belts, rebuild, etc?

Price would come out less than $850 and you'd have a motor that you know the background on and one in "better" condition than a used one from anywhere else.

dacalac
08-30-2005, 04:27 PM
I'd be willing to spend the extra money to get an engine with a warranty that I can throw in now rather than take a chance on an unknown and take the time to rebuild.

This is along the lines of "ahhh crap I'm going to need an engine ASAP" situations.

I've been looking all over for a KA but no real luck on the forums.

:(

A Spec Products
08-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I'd be willing to spend the extra money to get an engine with a warranty that I can throw in now rather than take a chance on an unknown and take the time to rebuild.

This is along the lines of "ahhh crap I'm going to need an engine ASAP" situations.

I've been looking all over for a KA but no real luck on the forums.

:(

Yeah, up to you. But even with a warranty, if the engine goes bad, then you'd have to take it out anyway / do major work, right? So if you don't want to take a chance, then why not prep it as best as possible with a rebuild?

There are a lot of KA's but yeah, none of recently it looks like. If you didn't already, post a thread in WTB.

Call up shops that do SR swaps, they might have some used KA lying around...sometimes they are in great condition.

m0rex
08-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Yeah dude. Look around its cali. There should be a lot of alright condition KAs around. Unless everyone beats the shit out of them before they swap it out which actually if they took care of it it wouldnt matter that much.

chlatboy
09-01-2005, 03:21 AM
If you want to pay more for a KA just for a warranty then its up to you. But then agian, you cant blame us if we call you stupid.

dacalac
09-01-2005, 02:50 PM
If you want to pay more for a KA just for a warranty then its up to you. But then agian, you cant blame us if we call you stupid.

Hell I just want to find a KA period. That's the thing. There seems to be a bit of a dry spell going on right now locally and I need one ASAP. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

As far as the stupid comment. No matter what anyone does to/for their car someone out there will call it stupid. It's a fact of life. I could care less what people say about me online.

:bigok:

ALTRNTV
09-01-2005, 03:21 PM
If you want to spend $850 on a stock KA, why not just spend a little more and get an SR?

dacalac
09-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Because I wouldn't have that much to pay back to my Dad. Besides I want to be able to smog it and register it. Plus I know police are getting smart to tell what a SR engine looks like.

I wouldn't want to hurt my chances for application later this year. :x:

I might as well boost the KA.

xtreme_s14
09-02-2005, 02:43 AM
if you're planning on getting one from gspeed and their motors come with a warranty.. find a turbo kit and install it along with your "new" motor.. give it a good run, boost 2-3 bars, blow it up, return it and say the motor was NO GOOD..!

VRTMiKe
09-13-2005, 11:38 PM
i have a single cam ready for pick up in sd. $100 and its yours. had 150,xxx miles on it untill a tree decited to fall and land ontop of my 13. i was the second owner and i took very good care of it. it ran very clean and NEVER had a problem smogging it.

VRT MiKe
VRT Cali
Team Hinga

Omega47
09-15-2005, 02:38 AM
mmmmm Newcastle. :rawk: :yum:

!Zar!
09-15-2005, 02:47 AM
I say go for a privately owned one. What does the warranty cover anyways. Being as how if it was me I'd dog the hell out of it on the last monty the warranty covered so I could get a new one. I'm not calling anyone shady or anything but what's the fine print of the warranty and what exactly does it cover?

FRpilot
09-15-2005, 12:14 PM
dont local auto stores like kragen offer rebuilt engines? wouldnt it be safely to buy a rebuilt ka from a national chain?

SochBAT
09-21-2005, 11:18 PM
I've got a SOHC engine sitting on my yard, COME GET IT, its free!!!

fliprayzin240sx
09-24-2005, 02:03 AM
mmmmm Newcastle. :rawk: :yum:

Since when did socal got fucking new castle??? Ahhh....that shiets nasty!!! Mini-burger with cardboard holder on it, taste like the cardboard itself!!!!

Anyways back to the topic...yah id just look around for a local seller. Ask around and you could prolly find one for way cheaper. I mean ive seen people ditching KAs with less than 100k miles on it for $100, complete swap minus harness.

SOLDIER [X]
10-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Since when did socal got fucking new castle??? Ahhh....that shiets nasty!!! Mini-burger with cardboard holder on it, taste like the cardboard itself!!!!

Anyways back to the topic...yah id just look around for a local seller. Ask around and you could prolly find one for way cheaper. I mean ive seen people ditching KAs with less than 100k miles on it for $100, complete swap minus harness.

You are thinking white castle, new castle is a beer.