PDA

View Full Version : brake shims

Silvia1EightySX
08-27-2005, 10:50 PM
i'm not sure if this is the place but does anybody know where i can get just the brake shims? i've been searching but cant find em. the lil thin metal piece between the caliper and brake pads, brake shims, right? i'm so sick of hearin them squeak all the time. and i havent found any for the rear brakes at junk yards or anything. i've tried calling some places but they dont carry them as well. i've got em for the front brakes at a junkyard but all the rares are always gone. the calipers and so are always gone before i get there. is there anywhere online i can get them?

aznpoopy
08-27-2005, 11:10 PM
i dont run them.

my brakes make no noise. they just clatter a bit.

just use your old ones + some anti squeal

Silvia1EightySX
08-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Will that permanently make it go away? Or will I have to spray it every once in awhile?

aznpoopy
08-29-2005, 10:24 AM
oh, i should've mentioned...

brake shims don't typically cause your brakes to squeal, at least not in my experience.

i've also never used anti squeal... my brakes don't squeal at all. it could be the pads you are using. some less street friendly pads squeal alot.

if you are hearing a horrid metal on metal grating noise; that typically means your pads need to be replaced.

crioten
08-29-2005, 10:56 AM
cheaper pads will tend to spueal more than say a decently priced pad...

you get what you pay for

docrice
08-29-2005, 06:26 PM
cheaper pads will tend to spueal more than say a decently priced pad...

you get what you pay for

unless of course you run race pads...my friend runs the expensive axis pads on his road race car and all they do is squeal...and grab like a mofo.

crioten
08-29-2005, 07:35 PM
unless of course you run race pads...my friend runs the expensive axis pads on his road race car and all they do is squeal...and grab like a mofo.

of course...

i should have said for regular street use...

and let me add by what i mean by street use, not some kid thinking he has a racecar kinda shit

frozencoconutz
08-29-2005, 11:05 PM
i'm not sure if this is the place but does anybody know where i can get just the brake shims? i've been searching but cant find em. the lil thin metal piece between the caliper and brake pads, brake shims, right? i'm so sick of hearin them squeak all the time. and i havent found any for the rear brakes at junk yards or anything. i've tried calling some places but they dont carry them as well. i've got em for the front brakes at a junkyard but all the rares are always gone. the calipers and so are always gone before i get there. is there anywhere online i can get them?

you can buy them from the dealer. i bought some rear ones but i also had to buy extra hardware because it came as a pack. i think it was $35

theronin
08-31-2005, 06:17 PM
havent run shimms since i swapped for z brakes 2.5 yrs ago, never had a problem without them.