PDA

View Full Version : Ticket for no front plates WTF

OdessaS13
08-20-2005, 01:18 AM
well i got a dpt ticket for no front plates...how do i find out if its a fix it ticket or do i have to go to dpt and bitch at them. btw i had my front plate showing through front windshield , can they still give "no plates" tickets for that.

Irukandji
08-20-2005, 01:25 AM
yeah front plate needs to be around a 90 degree angle with the road so that cameras and cops and see em when theyre passin u...when its slanted on ur windshield it can be a fix it ticket.

iggy
08-20-2005, 01:29 AM
yea, its a fix-it ticket.. just put your plate on your front bumper and get it signed off. i think you pay like $10 after that.

OdessaS13
08-20-2005, 01:30 AM
so i just put my plate back on, find a cop and have him sign the ticket or do i have to pull over one of those retarded metermaids to have it signed.

OdessaS13
08-20-2005, 01:31 AM
sorry for last post, didnt see iggys post, tnx for help
latez

Phlip
08-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I am so glad that I live in a state with only rear plates

TurDz
08-21-2005, 06:36 PM
It happened to me once and I told them that someone stole it.....haha

And he asked me if I reordered yet and I said yes. Well, in reality, I didn't lose it, and I didn't order anything...luckly I got off without a fix-it ticket.

wingsnthangs
08-21-2005, 06:53 PM
According to the California Vehicle Code, you have to have a front plate mounted on the "frontmost part" of your car, aka your front bumper. It must be mounted securely at a certain range of height above the ground too. In other words, the plate-behind-the-windshield thing is 100% illegal, and probably draws even more attention than if you didnt have a front plate at all.

And yeah, $10 if you fix it, I believe $45 if you don't. And if you need to re-order a plate from the DMV, I think it costs $25-30.

EDIT: Refer to CVC 5200 regarding front plates.

S_14.5
08-21-2005, 07:18 PM
same crap happened to me...i had my plate behind my windshield...he pulls me over...tellss me that I need to "bolt" my license plate onto my front bumper.

I started to laugh....

only b/c he told me to bolt my plate to the front mesh on my bumper.....hahahaha.

Anyways, made a bracket and bolted it onto the aftermarket bumper...just got a warning. only in cali...

OdessaS13
08-22-2005, 12:59 AM
yeah i ended up pulling over a bike cop and he signed my tik. told him my car overheats and i moved the plate to cool my radiator better, anyways he was cool about it and signed it. so yeah i guess its Gov-1 s13-0, i feel like DPT is out to get me :axe:

Got Sileighty?
08-23-2005, 11:49 AM
i read somewhere that the front plate is required 'cause its what the cops use to reflect back the signals sent by their speed radars. its such a stupid requirement, especially since its not required by all the states.

Var
08-23-2005, 12:25 PM
My car doesnt even come with one from the factory and i can still technically get a ticket for it.

http://www.916cars.com/Images_Inventory/Medium/1G1YY12S725116407_1.jpg

420sx
08-23-2005, 12:44 PM
yea but with a vette you should have money to cover tickets dude :) plus cops have more respect for people driving upscale cars, who knows it might be a lawyer! haha

Jessi
08-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Front plate laws suck, but are very helpful in hit and run incidents and other things. Arizona doesn't have the front plate law, but Wisconsin did. So, my front plates are still on my car. I'm too lazy to take them off.

Having a front plate on your car isn't going to kill ya.

rancid240
08-23-2005, 03:11 PM
i read somewhere that the front plate is required 'cause its what the cops use to reflect back the signals sent by their speed radars. its such a stupid requirement, especially since its not required by all the states.
Didnt they disprove that in mythbusters?
I know they did some kind of radar test on an old caddy

A Spec Products
08-23-2005, 04:33 PM
just leave your front plate on.

it is the law, so no need to break it. i know how you feel, like when you get a speeding ticket for doing 10 mph over...yeah, it sucks but technically you were speeding so you gotta face the consequences. i'd rather have it attached to my bumper rather than have it be a flying projectile in a collision.

cool points aren't THAT high to take it off. if anything just mount it offset on the bumper.

mC_YoTo
08-23-2005, 09:01 PM
well i got a dpt ticket for no front plates...how do i find out if its a fix it ticket or do i have to go to dpt and bitch at them. btw i had my front plate showing through front windshield , can they still give "no plates" tickets for that.

Don't feel too bad, I just got a fix-it ticket for no license plate on the front like an hour ago from the Highway Patrol [on South 280 BTW] - along with a fix-it for my exhaust. I was cool with all that until the Patrol dude wants me to get a friggin smog. Can he do that? I felt like I got owned.

*sigh* time to part/sell my car...Any1 interested in an N1 Exhaust[s14]?? =)

Mervyn
08-23-2005, 09:04 PM
It doesnt matter wether you put your plates on the left or right side of the bumper, does it?

dvdevo
08-23-2005, 09:22 PM
when i got my fixit ticket, i just went to the dc police and the lady signed it off without seeing the plate.

mooboy
08-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah I don't have a front license plate holder either. :P

http://myspace-922.vo.llnwd.net/00155/22/92/155632922_l.jpg

MoK
08-24-2005, 09:50 PM
i got a ticket for it! i put the plate back on and had a pig sign it, then took it right off. :fawk2:

knightrider
08-24-2005, 10:46 PM
it doesnt matter if your car didnt come with a holder, or didnt come with one, if it was bought in a state that requires a front plate, the dealer, or you is supposed to install one(iirc the corvette has a holder that goes where it says corvette one the front, and the bmw has one that goes right in the middle and replaced that removable section on the bumper), also, if you dont have a front plate, and you get a ticket, just goto the dmv and give them your old rear plate, pay 8$ and get 2 new plates with dif numbers, its cheaper than reordering a new matching plate.

undercoverdjay
08-27-2005, 09:09 AM
My car doesnt even come with one from the factory and i can still technically get a ticket for it.

http://www.916cars.com/Images_Inventory/Medium/1G1YY12S725116407_1.jpg

Give me a couple days and I can get you a picture of a white C5 that drives around with a front plate, the panel that says "CORVETTE" is removed and the plate sits behind the bumper and where the panel was, the plate is now displayed. tough to explain but I'll grab a picture of it. And in regards to the E36, no I wouldnt put a front plate on there, however my friend has a 328is with M3 bumpers and such with a european plate that reads "ORAL SEX" when looked at through a mirror

S14DB
08-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Front plate, interesting concept. So that's why there are 2 bolts in my front bumper...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/Grill.jpg

statik
08-27-2005, 10:55 AM
haven't gotten pulled over once =]
http://www.teamhpi.org/photo_shoot/images/DSCN1824.jpg

Project D
08-27-2005, 11:52 AM
The front plate law is kinda whack. I know we have it in CO, but back home acroos in the mountains I would never get pulled over for it. Now in Denver, I will bet that I would get pulled over quite a bit. Some cops are assholes,, that's just how the world works.

anyotherone
08-30-2005, 02:46 PM
I just got a written warning for this last week. I was doing the speed limit in a 55mph work zone with people passing me left and right... state trooper passes a long line of cars real slow (I was on a two-lane two-way highway) and lo-and-behold, I was the last in line. He busted a u-turn and pulled me over for not having a front plate. I told him that the car didn't have a plate when I bought it, plus I've never heard of that law - what about the hundreds of cars that I see every day without them? He just said, "we can't get them all".

I was pissed off... because I know he pulled me over because I look young and I drive a sporty car. He sniffed inside my car too... probably wanted to know if I had weed or something. Of course, then he got real pissed off when I handed him my CHL with my driver's license. He asked, "how old are you son?" I just smiled and said, "old enough to pack heat in Texas... rookie."

He stomped off to his car and called for backup... and made me sit there for an hour. :-/

Var
08-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Give me a couple days and I can get you a picture of a white C5 that drives around with a front plate, the panel that says "CORVETTE" is removed and the plate sits behind the bumper and where the panel was, the plate is now displayed. tough to explain but I'll grab a picture of it.

I THINK i've seen one of those before and it looked like puke. But i guess it's cool that you dont have to drill visible holes in the bumper cause you can cover them up again. But my point was, they dont come with a front plate from the dealerships. My front plate was in the trunk when i bought my car.

anyotherone
08-30-2005, 03:34 PM
I would believe it... the Mercedes dealership near where I live doesn't put front plates on any of their vehicles unless requested.

P_s14
08-30-2005, 10:25 PM
I zip-strip my plate to my passenger sunvisor thingy... Haven't gotten pulled over since. I always tell them the bolts rusted off of the front and I was headed to pick some up hehe :)

Muzzy
08-30-2005, 10:35 PM
lol i jus got a ticket for that shit sunday...but just a waring..i had it in my window. oh well. i've been driving like that for 2 years til some pos security guard on base want to fuk with me. super gay...now i gotta zip tie it to a gill.

MakotoS13
08-30-2005, 10:47 PM
http://www.makotoseven.com/240/2402.jpg
with plate

http://www.makotoseven.com/240/level1/ktsday5.jpg
sans plate

the law is stupid and if a cop chooses to write me up for it he can. i'm not putting a plate on that bumper.

S14DB
08-31-2005, 12:22 PM
Yea! we all know where Makoto lives now.

MakotoS13
08-31-2005, 01:28 PM
that's the previous owner's plates. i have new ones :)

lucky7
08-31-2005, 02:05 PM
you guys have some crazy laws and shit. i live an hour north of detroit. i only own 1 license plate. i dont own a cat. my front lip is like 3" off the ground. i have never met a person that has gotten a "fix it" ticket. no emissions testing or, "smog" as some of you call it. my exhaust is loud as balls, but nobody cares. hell, the average michigan driver drives about 15mph over the speed limit all the time. we dont get hassled for much here. my last ticket was for 75/45 zone. he said, "you were driving a little fast. just slow down a little bit next time, nobody will bother you". haha. classic. anyhow, good luck with all your run-ins with the cops.

Chernobyl
08-31-2005, 02:13 PM
The front plate law is kinda whack. I know we have it in CO, but back home acroos in the mountains I would never get pulled over for it. Now in Denver, I will bet that I would get pulled over quite a bit. Some cops are assholes,, that's just how the world works.

Just don't park at a parking meter downtown with no front plate. My friend and I both got tickets for that. Otherwise, I drive all over denver without a front plate, and never had a problem.

Yuri
08-31-2005, 02:24 PM
you guys have some crazy laws and shit. i live an hour north of detroit. i only own 1 license plate. i dont own a cat. my front lip is like 3" off the ground. i have never met a person that has gotten a "fix it" ticket. no emissions testing or, "smog" as some of you call it. my exhaust is loud as balls, but nobody cares. hell, the average michigan driver drives about 15mph over the speed limit all the time. we dont get hassled for much here. my last ticket was for 75/45 zone. he said, "you were driving a little fast. just slow down a little bit next time, nobody will bother you". haha. classic. anyhow, good luck with all your run-ins with the cops.

Yeah, living in Detroit rocked. On the freeways south of 8mile, I could race Porsches with my Supra at 135mph, and drive at about 100 and have detroit cops pass me without even a glance.

wingsnthangs
08-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Damn Makoto, you cleaned up your car really well. Did you repaint? New bumper? Fill in the holes?

Yeah I don't rock the front plate either. I don't mean to be rebellious or anything, I just think the plate looks really awkward on the design of the S13. I'm also careful where I park and how I park, not too worried about getting ticketed (knock on wood).

lucky7
08-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Yeah, living in Detroit rocked. On the freeways south of 8mile, I could race Porsches with my Supra at 135mph, and drive at about 100 and have detroit cops pass me without even a glance.

so true. ive been passed by cops when im doing 20mph over. made me a bit nervous, but the cops never even look over. hell, in detroit stopsigns dont mean anything. :wiggle: . i lived in cincinatti, and holy hell. you cant yawn while driving without getting pulled over.

but overall, its a simple rule to follow. the less obvious illegal things, the more inconspicous you will be. a license plate is so minor in the scheme of things. if you can just follow the rules and slap one on the front, you wont be hassled for it. you choose not to follow the rules, you get pulled over/ticketed, nobody wants to hear the complaining :hammer: . same shit with window tints.