PDA

View Full Version : Toyota?

bboyt3nsk
08-14-2005, 07:48 PM
What is goin on with Toyota now?!
Their all about the weak ass "less energy" emissions awareness cars now.
And they just phased out the MR-S and celica. I really liked those two cars. and now they have NOTHING! the corolla S but that cars a joke it just has a lip on the bumper.
Would anyone happen to know if Toyota is coming out with something in the near future?

xka24detx
08-14-2005, 07:51 PM
yeah i used to be a toyota fan too.. but its just slowly down the drain.. i even used to browse everythingcelica.com until the isaac decided to shut it down with no notice, i remember hearing about a new concept supra or something like that...

wootwoot
08-14-2005, 08:59 PM
They do not have one sports car in production currently and frankly it pisses me off. Give it time though because Toyota is shredding in most major motorsports. They are also possibly making a return to the WRC and you know what that means. Toyota will begin to manufacture performance vehicles soon enough, they are just taking some weird sort of break that sucks ass.

zenki240sx
08-14-2005, 09:09 PM
the supra is supposed to come out pretty soon, it should be in the next la auto show

OptionZero
08-14-2005, 09:13 PM
says who? I've read that there's no supra in the works at all.

zenki240sx
08-14-2005, 09:17 PM
http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101005
http://autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=213118

zenki240sx
08-14-2005, 09:18 PM
search toyota super car

wootwoot
08-14-2005, 10:22 PM
I cant remember where I read all of this, probably mutiple publications but I remember it not being some shady guess type a deal. 3 performance cars that are coming from Toyota soonish.(1) AWD Turbocharged Corolla with 250-300hp. (2) the car that is going to be the 100k car is going to be a Lexus I heard since Americans are sketch about paying that much for a Toyota. Basically all of their roadracing experience going into that with a rumored 5.0 liter v10 making around 500hp. That will be their European exotic attack. (3) a RWD possibly v8 powered lower end car with a v6 option as well. This will basically be the replacement for the Supra.

I think I got all of that right. I distinctly remember them saying a v8 and v6 version of the Supra though

SimpleSexy180
08-14-2005, 10:25 PM
skyline > supra

SilviaDriver
08-14-2005, 10:32 PM
" Pricing will be in excess of $100,000 for one of an estimated 12,000 that Toyota plans to produce."

wootwoot
08-14-2005, 10:43 PM
skyline > supra

The car that the Skyline GTR will be fighting against will not be a Supra. The Supra is a car that will fight against the 350z and possibly Corvette(if they do that engine choice deal)

JtWo
08-15-2005, 07:13 PM
The upcoming supra isn't going to be under the name of the supra. I forgot what it is called, but it's price range is supposed to be over $120,000. Also a V8 that puts out over 500hp. I saw it somewhere on supra forums, but too lazy to find the thread.

I think toyota is trying to help out the world with all the polution and gas. Their performance peak ended when they stopped the supra, but people don't know that the performance still carries on in the lexus'. The V8's like the 1UZ and 3UZ are alot more powerful and potent than the 2JZ in my opinion(putting out more hp than the 2J without turbo, while having the same bullet proof bottom end.)

Wei240
08-16-2005, 01:19 AM
lexus = toyota,
there's some lexus' that i like old and new,
then there's scion for the younger crowd,
they've segmented their brands so much that there's nothing left...
as far as toyota it self.. bah.. boring..
wished they brought over the mark series, that's one cool car...

exitspeed
08-16-2005, 09:56 AM
I read in Speed Magazine that Toyota may buy and AWD system from Honda to produce the car and kep price down.

I'll be willing to bet that Toyota will have a new Supra debut THIS year at the aut shows and it will be out be 2007 as a 2008 model. They don't want to let Nissan and Madza make all this money off of a segment that failed so misirably just 10 years ago and is now rawking...

FaLKoN240
08-16-2005, 10:13 AM
I wish that all the import companies would start making RWD cars again. . .but I don't think that will happen.

OptionZero
08-16-2005, 10:19 AM
subaru and mitsubishi never made a RWD car (as far as I know), and they are doing fine.

Toyota won't see a non-truck RWD for a while

if you want RWD go nissan (power) or mazda (handling)

420sx
08-16-2005, 10:21 AM
yea its all about reducing emmissions and lowering polution levels hoping that will prevent the polar ice caps from melting, which already started. ahaha. we are all gonna die hehe

RiversideS13
08-16-2005, 10:27 AM
toyota is going at the direction of comfortable family cars. It is the Fact that toyota sells more corolla and camry than celica and mr2. Even Solara is getting discontinue at 06. Scion is the line targeting the young buyer market and TC is selling very well. if you have driven the new camry, solara, or avalon; you will be surprised how comfortable it is (just like lexus).

i think tacoma x-runner is a great performance car too. (cornering rate at 0.9g). there was a magazine even used a x-runner to spank a 350z on the track.

Here is 07 camry, power output will be about 280-295hp (current avalon motor)
http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/771

Yoshi
08-16-2005, 10:28 AM
since when is the IS300 not a performance car platform?
Lexus still = Toyota
In fact, isn't there a new gen IS300 out/coming out?

wootwoot
08-16-2005, 10:30 AM
subaru and mitsubishi never made a RWD car (as far as I know), and they are doing fine.

Every Subaru is laid out in a rwd manner. Mitsubishi made the Starion and had pick up trucks as well. Mitsubishi also isnt doing that well and the main thing keeping Subaru around is the fact they use AWD with a longitudal mounted engine since it is more durable. You will see a RWD performance rather Toyota soon. Nissan is power? There fastest car tuns a 14.0.
The car all of you keep talking about, the " 100k Supra" isnt going to be a supra. If you dont believe the stuff I typed go read some auto magazines because thats where I got the majority of it from.

mjjstang
08-16-2005, 11:43 AM
well since gas has hit the 3.xx mark in some places. I think Toyota is playing it very smart.

RiversideS13
08-16-2005, 11:51 AM

isnt almost all of the lexus line are rwd beside ES330 and RX330? as right now, Toyota/lexus had more rwd cars line up then nissan/infiniti and mazda in US market

lexus
IS300
LS430
SC430
GS430/GS330

infiniti
G35
M45
Q45

mazda
RX-8

here is the official info of new lexus IS 250 and IS 350

http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/index.html?s_ocid=10849

http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/assets/isPreview_img_photo_5.jpg

420sx
08-16-2005, 12:01 PM
from that pic it looks like it has meaaat in the back haha

Yoshi
08-16-2005, 12:06 PM
here is the official info of new lexus IS 250 and IS 350

http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/index.html?s_ocid=10849

http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/assets/isPreview_img_photo_5.jpg

yeah, that's exactly what I was talkin about.
I was VERY tempted to sell my 240 and get an 05 IS300.

I HATE how toyota designers have decided that the tall-ass-door look is the best. FUGLY. Literally. Makes the car look like it has no windows... just what we need, more cars with shite visibility so bad drivers have THAT much easier of a time hitting things... like MY CAR!
http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/assets/isPreview_img_photo_1.jpg
Look at that! door is 2x taller than the window.
The whole side of that car will be riddled with tiny dents from other ppl's doors, and they'll be accentuated, cuz the door is so tall and w/o any design variations...typical boooooring (and in this case, stupidly impractical) toyota design
I like hte original Altezza body style :)

ZK
08-16-2005, 12:18 PM
What is goin on with Toyota now?!
Their all about the weak ass "less energy" emissions awareness cars now.
And they just phased out the MR-S and celica. I really liked those two cars. and now they have NOTHING! the corolla S but that cars a joke it just has a lip on the bumper.
Would anyone happen to know if Toyota is coming out with something in the near future?

A lot of people don't know this but they have the Corolla XRS. 170hp high revving 2zz motor with 6 speed manual transmission, "sport" lowered suspension, all disc brakes, 16" alloys for 17K. A little sleeper no one will notice.

But yeah, they need a sports car again.

wootwoot
08-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Yoshi, as soon as you pointed that out the doors looked like absolute monsters to me. I suspect Toyota will soon be using direct injection in there soon to be released performance cars which will keep them in their 0 emissions blah blah stuff whatevs and help increase gas mileage.

RiversideS13
08-18-2005, 10:57 AM
celica is coming back...
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106827

WanganRunner
08-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Every Subaru is laid out in a rwd manner.

Wrong.

Subies are not RWD-based AWD cars, like the GT-R is. This is why you can't just cut a wire on a Subaru and have RWD, like you can on the GT-R.

OptionZero
08-18-2005, 11:28 AM
i think he may mean that the engine is laid out longitutidnally, not transversely

all of those lexus cars are not remotely sport, the IS300 was a watered down overweight Altezza, everything higher than that didn't even come with a manual transmission

hell, does the is350 (not 250) even come in a 6spd?

wootwoot
08-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Wrong.

Subies are not RWD-based AWD cars, like the GT-R is. This is why you can't just cut a wire on a Subaru and have RWD, like you can on the GT-R.

Dont tell me I'm wrong when you dont know what I'm talking about. Subarus have longitudial mounted engines with the transmission behind the engine, you know, like every rwd car there is? The only reason you cant just "cut a wire" to make them rwd is because they are awd 50/50 split. This ofcourse is not true for the newer crazy differentials Subaru is using now(as well as Mitsubishi and other people have used for a while). A GT-R is basically rwd with fwd assist whenever it detects the rear wheels slipping but I still think it sends 20% to the front but up to 100% in the rear. I dont know much about them since I havent read much. They dont cover the GT-R to much in American magazines. Back on topic, Toyota needs to quit dicking around and do what they do good.

OptionZero
08-18-2005, 03:51 PM
the GT-R is 100% rwd until slippage

neither Subie nor Mitsu ever send 100% (or anything close to that) do the rears.

TOYOTA needs a rwd sports car to fight the Z, even something to fight the miata and rx-8 would be nice.

But I guess they are leaving performance to future scions and lexii, and making toyota exclusively the clean brand

wootwoot
08-18-2005, 04:02 PM
I think the new crazy diff Evo MR and STI can send up to 75% to the rear now but dont quote me on that. I know that the system used by VW can send up to 50% to the rear wheels with 100% being at the front otherwise. BMW uses a system that sends 100% to the rear wheels and under slippage can do 50% to the front wheels.