PDA

View Full Version : Coil overs = back problems?

Ritz S14
08-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Well, I've had my coilovers for probably 3k miles. Megan Racing spring rate 8/6.. 225/40/18 tires.

So, just about few days ago.. my back has been hurting pretty bad. I feel like an old man. I'm 23, 50% of the time I'm at my desk, other 50% of the time I'm walking around. I'm not too sure what's going on. My sleeping habbits haven't changed, I did get a new pillow ~2-3 months ago. I think it could be my worn ass shoes from 3 years ago which I wear for work. I have 4-5 sets of new shoes, that I switch from when I go out. I have read about how C/Os can fuck up your back on a long drive, but I really don't do that much driving in my car overall. My brother caught me slouching the other day(I'm 6'1 lightweight), and told me to situp, cause slouching can F up my back as well. But when I walk, I don't slouch..just when I set. I also ordered some shoe sole inserts(Shock Doctor Ultra 2 footbeds) from Eastern Mountain Sports(EMS),susposedly the best on the market. They'll be here on the 17th...

So yeah..what do you guys think it could be?

kandyflip445
08-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Do some more sit-ups and go to the gym and do some deadlifts. It'll help a lot.

EDIT: Good place as any. http://exrx.net/Exercise.html ;) Enjoy.

Giant Robot
08-13-2005, 11:47 PM
coilovers wont mess up your back....
you need to find a better seating position...i run 10/8 coilovers on my S14 in bucket seats and my back is fine....as with all my other friends with similar setup......

or your spine may be fucked up to begin with....

wootwoot
08-14-2005, 01:05 AM
I highly recommend yoga and all of the cute girls in the class will be stoked you're there. If anyone says yoga is gay you just dont know.

SochBAT
08-14-2005, 02:11 AM
Yoga = chickmagnet, esp. when they accidentally notice 'something'

Bucket seat? I think the the molding of the backsupport of buckets can do damage or something. Exercize, and drink milk. Breastmilk, ratmilk, anything with calcium. I started gettin those pains, and im 19. But i know why im gettin mines. Improper support for my lowerback when i lift crap, or change rims and crap. Last time, i just got up kinda fast, and i felt a jolting pain thru my lower back. I felt like the oldest man ever.

Get well Sir.

kandyflip445
08-14-2005, 02:35 AM
Your body has natural support for your lower back. Your abs on the front, the obliques, and the lower back tense up to hold the lower back in place. If your muscles are weak, any of them, then you are compromising the support for you back. Just do the sit ups/curl ups and the dead lifts. It will help with back problems A LOT.

anthony240
08-14-2005, 09:58 PM
i believe it's the coilovers. I have hks 10/7 and had to daily drive my car for about 3 months when my other car took a crap. any sudden leans/bends/stretches and i can't move, I had to go to the doctor and she said it's most likely the car, i told her I went drifting haha. she gave me painkillers that's all. now that i drive my other car again, no more backpains, sometimes they come back but they go away without the medicine.

Ian
08-14-2005, 10:18 PM
i have an irregular curvature of my back, to the point that i can lean up against a bare wall w/ the small of my back against the ground, and i am not uncomfortable...

it's pretty bad, if i dont pay attention to it, it can get very bad

i stretch every day, i also do situps to keep it from hurting constantly.

back pain can be alleviated by stretching most of the time

Ritz S14
08-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Hmm. Thanks guys. I'll take all of your thoughts into consideration. But I hear back pain starts from the feet, and works its way up.

wootwoot
08-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Just try yoga out a couple of times, I was skeptical but I think I'm addicted now. Just consider it paying 9 dollars to meet cute girls

junkilo
08-15-2005, 01:12 AM
Just try yoga out a couple of times, I was skeptical but I think I'm addicted now. Just consider it paying 9 dollars to meet cute girls

yoga plus judo/aikido would be a great recipe for functional muscle and circulation.

Drunk Bastard
08-15-2005, 03:36 AM
i've been daily driving on my tein he's(8/6) for about year now...and no problems

V, definitly drink more milk, stretch and exercise often.

TurDz
08-15-2005, 04:59 AM
Hey V, thanks again for the smog check. Yeah, I think getting new insoles will help a lot, I know it did for me.

Stock-S13
08-15-2005, 05:27 AM
Aikido defintley helps! All the strecthing and pulling of other muscles makes any back aches feel miniscule, haha. Seriously though it helps, I took it last quarter. Fun, but had no hot girls.

yoga plus judo/aikido would be a great recipe for functional muscle and circulation.

420sx
08-15-2005, 10:27 AM
yea like it was said, you need to work out. specifically your back. especially deadlifts and lower back raises.

420sx
08-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Your body has natural support for your lower back. Your abs on the front, the obliques, and the lower back tense up to hold the lower back in place. If your muscles are weak, any of them, then you are compromising the support for you back. Just do the sit ups/curl ups and the dead lifts. It will help with back problems A LOT.
+1
exactly. thats why you need to follow the rule of opposition. if u work out ur back, work out your chest and etc.

u lower back's function is to extend, abs - to flex your back. you ned to do both and should help you alot.

crioten
08-15-2005, 11:41 AM
you might want to see a chiropractor...

a few years back i fell off of a 15" tennis court fence, and landed right on my ass and i compressed 2 of my vertebre... hurt like hell, worst pain of my life... i couldnt move, i thought i was paralised (actually im really lucky im not)

i couldnt even stand up to take a piss or anything without someones help (pretty embarassing lol)

i went to a chiropractor and within a week (i shit you not) he had me walking with a little pain and about a month after that, i was totally pain free and have been ever since (only time it bothers me is if i lay on my back on the floor for more than 5 min lol)

most places will do what they call "adjustments" for like $40, and it feels great and it might help you with your problem

just something you might want to check out

dct223
08-15-2005, 12:02 PM
sit back in the chair and lean back a little so your back is supported, instead of slouching... I found myself slouching in my car all the time.

Ritz S14
08-15-2005, 12:29 PM
you might want to see a chiropractor...

a few years back i fell off of a 15" tennis court fence, and landed right on my ass and i compressed 2 of my vertebre... hurt like hell, worst pain of my life... i couldnt move, i thought i was paralised (actually im really lucky im not)

i couldnt even stand up to take a piss or anything without someones help (pretty embarassing lol)

i went to a chiropractor and within a week (i shit you not) he had me walking with a little pain and about a month after that, i was totally pain free and have been ever since (only time it bothers me is if i lay on my back on the floor for more than 5 min lol)

most places will do what they call "adjustments" for like $40, and it feels great and it might help you with your problem

just something you might want to check out

The thing about chiropractors that I'm afraid of is that, sometimes they "adjust" you to come back every week/month.
:bite:

420sx
08-15-2005, 08:39 PM
sit back in the chair and lean back a little so your back is supported, instead of slouching... I found myself slouching in my car all the time.

thats why u adjust ur seat to sit straight:D

ZK
08-15-2005, 10:39 PM
If you have the stock S13 seats, the sitting position is not very good and usually on a car that old, the seat cushions are worn out already.

I replaced the S13 seats with like-new S14 ones and I usually use a back cushion on drives longer than 30 minutes and I feel a lot better. But then I'm older than most you guys. :p

420sx
08-15-2005, 11:06 PM
how old are you? haha im almost 23

Drunk Bastard
08-16-2005, 01:12 AM
he has s14 seats and he's about ur age^^^

why i'm answering for him?...i dunno... :wiggle: :wiggle:

ZK
08-16-2005, 12:08 PM
how old are you? haha im almost 23

I'm 28. The S13 and S14 don't have good lumbar support. S14 is a lot better but still not as good as on other cars. The back lumbar support cushion is a little wedge behind the back. It really helps and worth $20 to feel more comfortable on long drives.