PDA

View Full Version : Honda bandwagon?

vinhisbored
08-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Wow I know that getting a 240 and going 'drifting' is the new bandwagon.. but I don't know. I had a talk with a couple of friends earlier, and they say that Nissan's are becoming played out, and they want honda's now. What's up with that? Sure, less 240's, but all I have to say is wow! My friend that said he wants an "EG" (92-95 hatchback I believe) and right now, he's in the process of an RB25DET swap. Everything's installed, but now he's just waiting on supporting mods like electric fans/radiator, and the wiring. I don't know, I don't get it. Haha sorry, thought I'd share my opinions.

randyjordan
08-12-2005, 03:02 PM
if he really loves his 240 he shouldnt care that other ppl get or buy 240's..plus..i'd rather drive a FR anyday..ff's kinda suck

Flybert
08-12-2005, 03:02 PM
So you are basing this new bandwagon off of the opinion of "a few of your friends"? You are going to want to gather opinions from a larger group of people to even suggest what the new bandwagon might be. If you really want to jump on the current bandwagon, go look in one of the many "tuner" magazines. I'm sure you'll find it there.

420sx
08-12-2005, 03:18 PM
well i dont see anything wrong with trying new things. im sure he'll change his mind once he drives a honda. i myself never owned one so i dont know whats all his "hype" about. oh well....

wingsnthangs
08-12-2005, 03:39 PM
With gas prices this high, ain't nothin wrong with switching to a car that gets better gas mileage.

TheSquidd
08-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Let them leave, more spare 240's for me. The fact that they change their mind because it's "played out" shows that they should own a Honda anyway.

blue109
08-12-2005, 06:41 PM
i love EG an EK hatches. twin cam swap and a decent shock/spring combo and those cars are so much fun in the twisties.

RiversideS13
08-12-2005, 06:47 PM
I brought a EG6 hatch because everyone was jumping on the 240sx bandwagon. I couldnt find any good deal on the 240sx. the advantage of hondas areparts are easy to locate and cheaper. Also, honda engine swap could be legalized because most of them were aviliable in the state (you just have to have the emision stuffs intact and matching with right cpu). however, i switching back to 240sx again just becasue i love the FR with good torque.

integra and MR2 is getting popular as well.

FaLKoN240
08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
I brought a EG6 hatch because everyone was jumping on the 240sx bandwagon. I couldnt find any good deal on the 240sx. the advantage of hondas areparts are easy to locate and cheaper. Also, honda engine swap could be legalized because most of them were aviliable in the state (you just have to have the emision stuffs intact and matching with right cpu). however, i switching back to 240sx again just becasue i love the FR with good torque.

integra and MR2 is getting popular as well.

Very fobby english. . .but anyways. . .

I had a Honda, and I HATED IT. It is a fucking lemon car, and because of that, I refuse to replace my broke ass S13 for it. Just thinking about driving that car makes me mad. I put so much money into that Honda. . .grrr.

I wanted a 240sx before I even knew what drifting was, or how well these cars can handle. I used to be a Honduh Boi and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

kognition
08-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Thats the problem with opinion polling in America. Americans are so conditioned to calling something a "trend" or viewing something as "played out". How could we expect any less from a throw away buy a new one country. To me (and i happen to like Hondas as well as my Nissan), it is a simple choice of FWD or RWD. They both have their place. It is an evolving lifestyle just as much as we
are still evolving as a species. Do what feels good, thats all that matters!

vinhisbored
08-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Well I am not technically basing it on just some friend's, but I've seen it happen with a number of people in the city. Oh yeah, and if anyone thinks I'm hating on Honda's, I'm not. I respect them because one of my good friend's has showed me some of it's potential. I do believe that yes, it's their choice, but I don't understand it. Anyhow, I used to love honda's when I first starting getting to cars.. but I guess somewhere I changed my mind when I saw so many honda's.. then added in the fact that I saw how nice 240's were, I just had to get one. I love my kouki s14.

aznpoopy
08-12-2005, 08:02 PM
i love the old civic hatchbacks as well. i would rock one if i had infinite time and money to waste.

zaneithan
08-12-2005, 08:48 PM
i loved my crx SI's but i definitely enjoy my 240sx more

chlatboy
08-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Never did like my sisters honda. So i bought two 240s instead.

91CRXsiR
08-13-2005, 03:11 AM
i got mine

nrg
08-13-2005, 04:54 AM
if you're a good friend, you would let him do what ever he wants.

m0rex
08-13-2005, 12:10 PM
My friend is also getting a eg hatch after not finding a s13. I test drove it and it wasent that bad. Alright handling and alright acceleration i guess its because its pretty light. For looks they dont look that bad though. I wouldnt ever consider putting money on something fwd though well i cant imagine myself doing so.

Ritz S14
08-13-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm selling my Nissan for a Toyota truck. :) I need something that can take me fishing :keke:

m0rex
08-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I got a toyota truck it takes me fishing but with a hefty price tag. Then again it can take me around the twisties pretty damn fast.

kandyflip445
08-13-2005, 02:43 PM
To each his own. If you bash him then you aren't a very good friend.

CleanS14
08-13-2005, 03:37 PM
I have both... my EG is my daily driver it's completely stock auto with AC... don't worry what other people think... just do what you like even if it's rice style haha... well just don't do that to a 240 =P

OMGWTFBBQ
08-13-2005, 06:08 PM
if these guys miss their honda's already it seems like they are bandwagoners themselves and they left honda for the wrong reasons

Jessi
08-13-2005, 06:12 PM
I didn't buy my 240 to go drifting and to hop on some retarded bandwagon. I bought mine because it was cute.

fliprayzin240sx
08-13-2005, 06:15 PM
I wish theyd push that CRV rwd conversion to more Honda owners so they'd get off the 240 bandwagon....go HonDuH!!!!!

blue109
08-13-2005, 06:46 PM
everyone who uses the word "bandwagon" is a tool.

Flybert
08-13-2005, 06:53 PM
I have both... my EG is my daily driver it's completely stock auto with AC... don't worry what other people think... just do what you like even if it's rice style haha... well just don't do that to a 240 =P

That's what I'm talking about. My daily is my 240 but I also have my first car, a 97 civic EX stock automatic with AC. I call it my luxury mobile. My mom needs it at the moment but as soon as I get it back, I'm gonna be driving it everywhere.

Phlip
08-13-2005, 07:02 PM
In any car enthusiast's group(s) there will be the assholishly anal individuals who sit and bash "nooBs" for being "bandwagoners." Situations like this, on the other hand, come from someone who has tired of the "bandwagon" on which he is currently located, and now decides that he will go and get a honda. The problem, though, is that the "Honda bandwagon" IS NOT FUCKING NEW. Read your favorite homo tuner magazine from... say 3-5 years ago and look what they were ricing.

sncs14
08-13-2005, 07:23 PM
i was thinking about an ek hatch a couple months ago, but they still cost too much for a decent one. a friend of mine had an ek and he was thinking of getting a s14 when i bought my 97' s14. i'll never get rid of the 240, but i still would like to geta civic hatch to take my dog with me and be able to throw my bike in the back.

FaLKoN240
08-13-2005, 07:46 PM

+1 to that. I get tired of hearing all this stupid bandwagon talk. 240s are nice. They're cool, and they're fun to drive, you'd have to be stupid not to want one. :D

Phlip
08-13-2005, 08:02 PM
+1 to that. I get tired of hearing all this stupid bandwagon talk. 240s are nice. They're cool, and they're fun to drive, you'd have to be stupid not to want one. :D
Are you aware how subjective and inaccurate this statement is? You are aware that we, as 240SX owners and even more so as car enthusiasts, are a MINORITY and that saying that people who have kids and need space, don't want an increasing-aged and decreasing-reliability car, people who care about comfort, people who don't know (or care) what drifting is enough to want one, or people who just plain don't give a piss about sportscars are all stupid?
Shit, sometimes I wonder why I DO desire to keep this car as much as I do.

kandyflip445
08-13-2005, 10:14 PM

HAHA! You're a tool!!!!

FaLKoN240
08-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Are you aware how subjective and inaccurate this statement is? You are aware that we, as 240SX owners and even more so as car enthusiasts, are a MINORITY and that saying that people who have kids and need space, don't want an increasing-aged and decreasing-reliability car, people who care about comfort, people who don't know (or care) what drifting is enough to want one, or people who just plain don't give a piss about sportscars are all stupid?
Shit, sometimes I wonder why I DO desire to keep this car as much as I do.

I'm aware how foolish my statement is. . .it was a joke.

Notice how I said you'd have to be stupid to not want one. (Inserts obnoxiously large smiley at end.)

I always think about how stupid I am for keeping a car like an S13 for a daily driver, but then again. I can't imagine what it would be like having to drive my stupid Civic all the time instead. I'd probably end myself.

As much as a pain in the ass this car is, I wouldn't sell it unless I had to, or I could sell it for a ridiculous amount of money.

ALTRNTV
08-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Tell David to hurry up and finish his swap! I wouldn't mind a EK or EG as a daily driver though.

aznpoopy
08-14-2005, 12:52 AM
The problem, though, is that the "Honda bandwagon" IS NOT FUCKING NEW.

has it been so long that we have to explain this to the younger generation?

i'm getting old... :wtc:

SochBAT
08-14-2005, 02:05 AM
And the cool thing is, (Insert Make here) Forums are having this exact same thread, slightly reworded, maybe reflamed, etc etc. Bandwagons, to me, are a doubled edged sword. Brings more parts to the market, yet destroys amount of vehicles to purchase due to lack of driving/drift/touge/drag skills or whatever. Im sure we've had this kinda thread before. So i propose a lock to be rocked.

And whats so wrong about wanting to save gas?

ciGARRETTsRbad4u
08-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Being young and driving a 'fixed up' honda = me pulled over. not to say that it doesnt happen to our nissans.
owning a honda sucks... my brother just picked one up for a daily driver a couple weeks ago and it alredy got broken into in our freaking driveway... ahh time to set up the cameras....

RiversideS13
08-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Being young and driving a 'fixed up' honda = me pulled over. not to say that it doesnt happen to our nissans.
owning a honda sucks... my brother just picked one up for a daily driver a couple weeks ago and it alredy got broken into in our freaking driveway... ahh time to set up the cameras....

I believe if you had your nissan park outside, samething might happen too. i dont think they pick cars, but they tend pick up cars that has no sercurity system

Irukandji
08-17-2005, 01:10 AM
those who are true, will stay true,
or
to put simply,

those who like 240's because theyre 240's, will always like 240's no matter what mainstream america has to say about them.

those who like 240's for the whole "fad" will come and go as fads change

chlatboy
08-17-2005, 02:20 AM
those who like 240's for the whole "fad" will come and go as fads change

And thats why we call them bandwagoners. Their first post is always, "I just got a s13 240sx and i wanna know the difference [insert questions here]. Im not new to tuning cars. I use to own a honda [model here]. I got a 240 because I wanna be the next DRIFT KING."

Dont you think they should have known the potential of the 240 when they were into their hondas? Or maybe its just that drifting is mainstream. :fawk2:

Phlip
08-17-2005, 09:51 AM
And thats why we call them bandwagoners. Their first post is always, "I just got a s13 240sx and i wanna know the difference [insert questions here]. Im not new to tuning cars. I use to own a honda [model here]. I got a 240 because I wanna be the next DRIFT KING."

The funny shit is that we will see this thread 2 times within the next week... We always do

undercoverdjay
08-17-2005, 10:59 AM
The blow up of hondas has been around for more than 5 years, yes even before their beloved movie(i wont mention the name). The uprising of 240SX's has to me been a steady rise for the passed 2 years. I was kind of close to calling it a day and moving on to a 300ZX again. I just cant give up the 'light car' feel. Anyone who has ever driven a Z32 will know the car feels planted but it also feels like driver input is at a minimum. Something about these cars keeps me going on them. I even bought a second S13 because it was a bastard child in this guy's nissan collection. They're too much fun to drive, and easy to work on, relatively inexpensive to maintain and great cars. No matter how much other people destroy these cars, I'll still try to pimp the idea of a nice clean body kit, clean and well kept car, lowered not slammed, tasteful OEM parts wether they be from here, canada or JDM fatty tyte. Some parts just work well on these cars and compliment lines, etc etc. A few of my friends like my cars and Im trying to show them cleanly done cars so if and when they get thier car it'll be one of few 240's that are done the right way. I'll be the first to admit, when I first got my car the first "mod" I ever did was a set of clear signal lights for the front. Second, I went as far as the led windshield washers (grant it I was the second in my small college town to have them, this was spring of 2001 and all), konig impact wheels with what must have been a +90 offset as they were sunk deeper than...well, you know. But point of the matter is, everyone is new to a sport and equally as clueless. Once I started looking around my own personal taste came into play when choosing parts to buy and after it all came together, I had a very cleanly done car. Now its back to the drawing board with the same car after a mishap on the touge ;), well no a deer ran in front of me on a road that was straight for at least a mile, just came too quick to stop in time (a whopping 45mph too). Regardless if its a honda, nissan, toyota, or a sunfire for christ sake, if your friend likes it support his decision and do your best to help him(or her) build it into a nice daily driver and not one of the riced out cars we see everyday. Be different in your own way and make sure it doesnt turn out to be a spokesmodel for uncle bens.

importnut
08-17-2005, 11:36 AM
...Because my opinion counts ;)

I may be getting old, or just tired of seeing "kids" thoughts on the automotive world, but I am a automotive enthusiast. I don't care what people like or dislike. I have very strong opinions regarding makes, models and what have you, but I typically don't share them with anyone but those that are close to me. That fact simply because people will freak out and start a flame war.

Hondas are great cars. They've been a part of my family for decades and we will continue to buy them. Each one has been a model of reliability. I love my EG civic (it's an EH, EG with ABS...anyway) and I love my 240. Did I buy either because of some "trend" Nope. I bought a 240 because I wanted a decent Japanese 2+2 sports car with RWD. I prefer my civic for winter weather and enjoy the performance it has to offer. Both are examples of very stock looking and clean rides that I take pride in maintaining. Heh...I have over 350000 miles worth of cars between the two!

I have seen the "need to fit in" which I believe is the need to be trendy...automotively. I have seen those that fit that description go through every kind of car you can imagine to do just that. However, that happens in every facet of life.

Anyway, I'm done babbling for now.

-Alex S.

BrokenHeart
08-18-2005, 01:56 PM
I am one of these "kids" that everyone so calls "trolls", "ass hats", etc. Unlike them I know how to work on automobliles and i dont really give a flying fuck about drifting or "1337" conversions.

Since about two and a half years ago I have wanted a 240 but sadly not coming from a rich family I dont get everything I want only what I need. So I own a EG8 which was passed to me from my mother (very greatful of it). Before I was a 240 fan I was a quote "Honduh Boi" (never very big on popular styles, more so on performance and a little JDM) for about three years. Over the pass couple years I've been doing odd jobs for the family for money and now after getting a job I have saved money for another car. Sadly I've decided to go back out on a 240 and get an EG hatch simply because of cost :-/ . For the same price of a decent s13 in my area I could afford an EG hatch and a partial LS Vtec swap. I have driven both a s13 and EG hatch, both I've found to have their ups and downs.

I dont know if what I just typed has anything to do with anything but it felt like an inside story to "bandwagons" destorying an enthusiasts heart (thus explains my name).

Sorry if what I typed is pointless.

smokeybear
08-20-2005, 09:56 AM
ive been on the honda bandwagon before, and to me, they still aren't bad cars. i love the RSX-S, i like EG and EK hatches, S2ks are alright (i think they are too slow for their price, just like the NSX, however the NSX handles like crazy) before i had my 240, i had 3 hondas, none of which were god awful cars (learned how to drive a stick on a honda) ive been in just about every bandwagon created, however, there is one car that still has little following and a super small aftermarket, Ford Probe, i owned one before my 240, and probably one of my favorite cars ive had. it had an electrical problem i couldn't figure out (would sputter, turned out to be the disty, that i thought was fine) but i got it to ran perfect twice and almost cried. they are super fun cars to drive, fairly quick, but don't really respond to the basic I/H/E very well (porsche assisted the design of the motors, they flow freaking awesome stock, you know that when people actually lose horsepower when they put a set of headers on) i might get another probe someday, but i love my 240 and have no plans of selling it. who cares about bandwagons, its what makes you happy, i hate seeing the riced out hondas (esp. in my area, can't go idk 30 mins w/o hearing a fuking fart canned civic) to each their own ya know.

HybridECR33
09-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Wow I can't believe Vinh made a thread about a joke I made. My RB25 is sick bro!

lucky7
09-08-2005, 11:00 AM
ive never considered myself a trend follower. i went from a BMW 750IL, to a 97 civic Ex. not because i wanted to. hell no, i had civic hatred at the time. but the BMW had a 5.0 V12, and between working 20 hours a week at the grocery store and driving 90 miles a day round trip for school 4 days a week. it had to happen. it was the best car i could find for the $. i had to suck it up. they are great cars, just not what i wanted. long story short, i have fallen inlove with this car... its definately not a fast car or anything of that sort. its just fun to drive. ive got a few things done. 2 years ago, it was somwhat highly modified for my area. nowadays its your average swapped civic. its got almost 130k on the body and i dont plan on ever getting rid of it. why not just drive it until its dead.

now ive gotten into the S14. i get all sorts of names thrown at me. bah, shrug it off. it was between an E36 M3, Z32 TT, FD3S. all 3 are cars i really really want someday. M3's still expensive for a good example and insurance owns me since i am keeping my civic. 300z, same thing. FD, just scared away by all the blown engines.. then i remembered the little 240sx. 2.4 liter. cheap insurance! relatively low price! RWD, ultimately what i was after. everything about it is a +. only downfall was the stock engine. all i want to do is go fast. i couldnt care less about drifting or tracking the car right away. just alot of power and RWD. hell, ive got a civic to drive during the crap weather.

all in all, i would buy another honda again. my first 2 cars were bmw's. i would buy another bmw again. im sure my nissan experience will leave me feeling the same. but i love all types of vehicles. maybe ill try a jetta TDI next?

my 2 cars are teh link below if anybody cares.

chlatboy
09-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Dont blame the HONDA, blame the OWNER!!!

sykikchimp
09-09-2005, 02:32 AM
And the cool thing is, (Insert Make here) Forums are having this exact same thread, slightly reworded, maybe reflamed, etc etc.

I can gaurantee you ferrari chat does not have a 'bandwagon' problem. Or any other high end car forum for that matter. Kids can't afford those cars so they can't just jump on said bandwagon. i.e. anyone that even uses the word to describe someone is a child.

airsoft
09-09-2005, 02:49 AM
They can put a kit on a Fiero and pretend.