PDA

View Full Version : Installing Gaskets

95Blue240sx
08-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Ok well here is something that I am confused about. At my work, people say that all you need is the gasket and nothing else. But other people, customers, always use silcone with the gaskets. From my understanding the gasket is all you need, something like shlack or whatever it is called can be used to hold the gasket in place, but using silcone is not neccessary. The Silcon we sell at my work says right on the package GASKET MAKER. So my question why would you put gasket maker ontop of a GASKET?

When i installed the valve cover gasket, I didnt use anything but the gasket and 30w oil. When I installed my thermostat, I just used the gasket, no silcon. With both I've never had any leaks. What is your take?

SimpleSexy180
08-09-2005, 12:55 PM
i didnt use rtv when i changed out my valve cover gasket, but i did use rtv when i installed my intake manifold gaskets and oil pan gasket. In my opinion its just an "safety" kind of thing to make sure there wont be any leaks at all.

wootwoot
08-09-2005, 02:27 PM
When I use gaskets I just use a little bit of spray on adhesive to help keep the dang thing in place. No RTV for my gaskets.

aznpoopy
08-09-2005, 02:38 PM
i go by the FSM.

usually people use RTV if they are reusing an old gasket. its technically a no no, but for something like the valve cover gasket it should work fine.

infinitexsound
08-09-2005, 03:02 PM
leaks bro, in due time the gaskets starts to flex and oil tends to leak....its cheap insurance, even on honda's,toy's.. what ever.. they tend to leak where the cam part is... so usually u only need to put a little dab and thats it...would last a lifetime of the engine or until u start messin with it.....

Ritz S14
08-09-2005, 03:15 PM
If you've ever changed your thermostat, it doesn't use a gasket. Just RTV.

FYI

RTV =Room Temperature Vulcanizing