PDA

View Full Version : How does hooked on phonics work?

Jeff240sx
08-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Really.. how does it work? Or does it even work?
On every forum I've read, people are spelling words phonetically, and being incredibly wrong. Then, after watching 'Mind of Mencia' he had a bit on Hooked on Phonics, I put the two together.

So, has anyone ever taken the course? Or know someone who has? How can phonics possibly help one to spell better, when our American language is based on a spanish/french/italian/greek/latin/english mixture?

-Jeff

RJF
08-06-2005, 02:27 PM
I've never seen Hooked on Phonics, but back in pre-historic days, when I went to grade school :D , they taught us phonics in early grade school, but it was mainly geared for reading and proper pronunciation. How to spell and proper grammer were taught separately in a course called "English".

Andrew Bohan
08-06-2005, 02:59 PM
"grammAr"

+1 for me

S14DB
08-06-2005, 03:07 PM
http://www.reading-comprehension-expert.com/hooked-on-phonics.html

hooked on phonics is for reading not spelling...

Var
08-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Nowadays public schools would get sued for trying to teach foreigners how to speak English.

Jeff240sx
08-06-2005, 03:47 PM
http://www.reading-comprehension-expert.com/hooked-on-phonics.html

hooked on phonics is for reading not spelling...

I read quickly because I can spell quickly. I read well beause I can spell well. I comprehend what I've read because I have a vocabulary that is in line with my education level.

Do you guys really think that what a child has learned with phonics does not carry over to make crummy spellers in their childhood? When I need to figure out a word, I think of other words with the same origin/root.

Take 'Adolescence'. I spell as "Adol" "escence" as in '-escence'.. latin root used to form nouns into adjectives or verbs.

Now take the pronunciation key for that word, and you get 'ad-l-'es-n(t)s'
Phonetic spelling - adlesents.

These poor habits have to carry on later in life.. and I don't understand it. Maybe they don't? Anyone have friends/relatives or teachers with information on this?
-Jeff

S14DB
08-06-2005, 03:50 PM
You read my whole article? it goes into this.

RJF
08-06-2005, 04:27 PM
"grammAr"

+1 for me

:mephfawk:

:D

Phlip
08-06-2005, 04:37 PM
does anyone else find it even the least little bit amusing that "phonic" is not spelled "fonetikle"?

Jeff240sx
08-06-2005, 04:44 PM
You read my whole article? it goes into this.

No. I don't read articles, and I stopped reading after "You will need: Good vision". :rolleyes: .
That was not in-depth enough.
-Jeff

S14DB
08-06-2005, 04:47 PM
No. I don't read articles, and I stopped reading after "You will need: Good vision". :rolleyes: .
That was not in-depth enough.
-Jeff
buy the book then. Vision has a major effect on good reading. That's why they give vision tests in school.

mrmephistopheles
08-06-2005, 05:29 PM
hukt on fonix werkt fer me!

Yeah, it's for reading, not writing.

When I was in highschool, I used to prank call the operators while waiting for my ride home.
I was responsible for two changes to their system. First, they began asking if I had my parents permission to call. Seconds they started blocking payphones from dialing their number.
Ahh fun times.

My favorite call of all time:
Operator: Hooked on Phonics how can I help you?
Me (in a very serious tone): Did it work for you?
Operator: *click*

lawl

sr240mike
08-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Im glad to know I wasn't the only one who pranked them. Iirc they even had a message at the beginning saying pranks calls were against the law and will be punished.

S14DB
08-06-2005, 08:10 PM
1-800-MATTRES was popular around DC. They had an article in the paper were if you called crank called 3 times they would look up your address and send a letter to the person the phone was in saying someone had been cranking. So, I made it a point to call from my friends houses from then on to try to get them in trouble. Had never done it before then. There campaign had failed.

One of my friends moms actually bought a mattress from them cause they included a coupon with the letter.

91CRXsiR
08-07-2005, 03:38 AM
never seen the program but its for reading like some1 said not spelling/writing so that explains why we can't spell for shiet. Plus in this age of spellcheck i dont waste the space in my brain to remeber the proper way to spell.

btw.. anyone ever hear ebonics? i always hear about it.. but have never seen/heard anyone speak it

Andrew Bohan
08-07-2005, 05:22 AM
if know how to read hella words, then you should know that some fucked up way of spelling isn't right, and then spell it right.

english wasn't hard to spell when they still used runes. runes are the native english writing system. runes make english spelling as easy as spanish is using the latin alphabet. back in the day some monk had the great idea of using the latin alphabet to write english and making everyone else do it too. there wasn't a one-to-one correspondance between letters and sounds, so he had to make some shit up. then later there was also the Great Vowel Shift, where some vowel sounds changed but the way they were written stayed the same, and that fucked shit up even more. now we have kids who can't spell. i saw some study once that showed that the less education a person has, the more phonetically accurate their speling it.

moral of the story: english sucks. learn a different language if you can.

Mervyn
08-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I use to have those little lesson books when I was little.. and it worked.

Drunk Bastard
08-09-2005, 05:18 AM
eye no know english