PDA

View Full Version : HELP audio guru's

93DRIFT
07-29-2005, 01:08 AM
so yeah, ive got a concept 10 that will not work, css-10, everyting looks fine to me, the only time it works, is when i push in on the dust cap. once i let go it wont work. i can turn it upside down and it will work from the pressure on the surround. all the tinsel leads are fine, its wired right. I think i may have burnt the voice coil, but any other suggestions are much appreciated, iwanna keep the sub. but if its not worth it i will just put it on my wall
thanks

Maeda
07-29-2005, 03:11 AM
Does the coil show any visible signs of abuse/damage?

If so, congratulations on your new paper weight.

Sil-Abc
07-29-2005, 05:34 AM
rip it apart and play with the magnet now :D

TheTimanator
07-29-2005, 07:10 AM
push down evenly on the cone. If you feel or hear it rub it's probably bad.
Next, find out what the ohm rating of the speaker is. Then take a multimeter, (make sure the speaker is not wired into the amp) put it on the resistance/ohm setting and put it on the leads. If it reads 0 the driver is bad. If it reads something close to the ohm rating the voil coil is okay. Example: a 12" 8 ohm driver we use tests at 6.5 ohms when good and 0 when bad.

Good luck

EDIT: Normally when a driver blows it will blow open resulting in a 0 ohm reading. But there is a chance it blew closed. If that happens when you test it the ohm reading will considerably higher than the factory ohm rating.