PDA

View Full Version : Question about shifting gears

Mervyn
07-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Well this is how I shift, whenever I reach the 3rd or 4th gear and want to slow down, I shift back to nuetral instead of downshifting in order. Is this normal or will it damage my engine? My friend said that its OK to do so..

TheSnail
07-23-2005, 10:13 PM
You will lose brake pad life. Thats about it.

IGSDann
07-23-2005, 10:16 PM
It could never damage your engine, you'ld be far more likely to damage your engine by not properly downshifting (say, 5th to 2nd or something like that). I never slow my car by downshifting, I just don't see the point.

Mervyn
07-23-2005, 10:18 PM
It could never damage your engine, you'ld be far more likely to damage your engine by not properly downshifting (say, 5th to 2nd or something like that). I never slow my car by downshifting, I just don't see the point.

so downshifting from 5th to neutral is normal?

TheSnail
07-23-2005, 10:21 PM
I down shift. My dad would beat me with a stick when I was 10yrs old if I did not down shift. It becomes second nature after a while. And there is a point to downshifting.

JDMark
07-23-2005, 10:49 PM
as long as your revmatching properly downshifting is perfectly fine for your car. i hate it when people just downshift and let the clutch out though.

TheTimanator
07-23-2005, 11:07 PM
so downshifting from 5th to neutral is normal?
thats not considered downshifting. Your just putting it in neutral, the car is just idling when in neutral.

Some people downshift to save brakes. Some people do it to keep the engine in the powerband when turning. Some people do it b/c "My dad would beat me with a stick when I was 10yrs old if I did not down shift"
haha

lucky7
07-23-2005, 11:11 PM
I down shift. My dad would beat me with a stick when I was 10yrs old if I did not down shift. It becomes second nature after a while. And there is a point to downshifting.

no doubt. i CANT stop without downshifting. i just cant do it. i dont even think about it, just happens. and yes, revmatching is your friend. i just love when people let out their clutch slowly. i can make a big deal about how they are significanly wearing away their clutch. lol.

OptionZero
07-24-2005, 01:32 AM
I'lll downshift/revmatch from 5-4-3 gears but from 2nd, and occasionally 3rd depending on situation i might just drop to neutral and brake. if there's a long street and i know it's a red light and i'm in 3rd, i'll just neutral it and let it coast gently, no brakes or clutchwork needed, natural tire friction slows the car to near-stop and i just tap the brakes at the end.

Learn to rev match, and from there...learn to heel-toe! After a while heel-toe becomes second nature w/ rev matching in general and you don't think you just do it subconsciously. Sounds badass, and it's necessary to going fast around a track

FaLKoN240
07-24-2005, 02:47 AM
I learned heel toe before I learned rev matching. . .

aznpoopy
07-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I learned heel toe before I learned rev matching. . .

that doesn't really make sense... :mepoke:

OptionZero
07-24-2005, 11:43 AM
i learned how to run before i could walk! =P

sLip techniques
07-24-2005, 01:40 PM
that doesn't really make sense... :mepoke:

why is that

FaLKoN240
07-24-2005, 01:42 PM
If it doesn't make sense, how'd I manage to do it?

aznpoopy
07-24-2005, 02:28 PM
why is that

revmatch = matching rpms during a downshift
heel toe = revmatch downshifting while braking

if you can heel toe properly, then you know how to revmatch properly. basically.

lucky7
07-24-2005, 02:46 PM
revmatch = matching rpms during a downshift
heel toe = revmatch downshifting while braking

if you can heel toe properly, then you know how to revmatch properly. basically.

its like the same thing. im not sure exactly what the textbook definition of this "heel toe" crap is. but your definition, i do it evertime i stop my car. revmatch, let out the clutch, let the engine brake while i use the brakes at the same time. this is considered "heel-toeing?" somebody please elaborate or set me strait, because if this is true, this so called "heel toe" is a basic driving skill.

aznpoopy
07-24-2005, 02:49 PM
heel toe = heel on the gas, toe on the brake

basically.

how do you guys manage to breathe?

FaLKoN240
07-24-2005, 03:08 PM
LOL, well all I know is that I learned heel toe first, then i started rev matching. . . don't ask me why, I just did.

OptionZero
07-24-2005, 04:21 PM
REV MATCHING IS THE SAME FUCKING THING AS HEEL TOE WITHOUT THE BRAKE

Heel toe:
When you approach a corner you have to slow down as well as downshift to the proper gear so you're in th e powerband on exit. That takes a 3 pedals; you have 2 feet. Heel-toe is the technique where you brake and gas with one foot while working the clutch with the other. Not everyone uses the heel of their right foot to gas while braking with the toe; I have large feet so I set my pedals and foot up such that I brake with the left ball of my right foot while stabbing the gas with the right half of my foot. Same thing, but still known as "heel-toe", which is a generic term at this point for gas/braking with the right foot.

It's impossible to learn heel-tue before rev matching because they are one and the same.

RBS14
07-24-2005, 07:08 PM
another reason to downshift is to save gas. Under deceleration, most cars cut fuel entirely. So letting it idle is actually using more gas than downshifting. Best of both worlds, save gas and brakes.

420sx
07-24-2005, 07:20 PM
.... and you stay in rev happy powerband!

Mervyn
07-24-2005, 10:10 PM
so i guess its better downshifting in order [3-2-1] instead of downshifting to neutral [4/3/2-N] then.

smokeybear
07-24-2005, 10:48 PM
i always run through my gears while im downshifting, like if im in 4th, ill put it in 3rd, then 2nd, then 1st. i have yet to miss a gear while driving and i think that is a big part.

aznpoopy
07-25-2005, 12:11 AM
so i guess its better downshifting in order [3-2-1] instead of downshifting to neutral [4/3/2-N] then.

just do whatever is fun for you and comes naturally...