PDA

View Full Version : injector question

shigitySxSe
07-01-2005, 01:04 PM
after removing the two guides to rid my car of the clicking noise...my car idles like crazy all of a sudden. i checked the timing and lined everything back up dead center like it should be, and the timing is correct too. i checked all the hoses, i sprayed for vaccum leaks, replaced the air filter, replaced the distributor cap, replaced the rotor, replaced the spark plugs, replaced the spark plug wires, and even put on a new upper timing chain because i thought that maybe mine was just shot... AND STILL I have this crazy-rough idle. But i figured it was all a bad injector the whole time. i dont know too much about injectors, so should i just look to replace all of them or just the one. its so expensive going to a shop round here just for one injector. so i dunno what to do, and if i get all new ones, what do you guys reccomend?

any help is appreciated, thanks

aznpoopy
07-01-2005, 01:12 PM
if you have a leaky injector you'll smell alot of fuel under your oil fill cap and your oil will be a little thin as gasoline is mixed in with it. or at least thats what people on FA told me.

FYI my symptoms aren't a 'rough' idle. the rpms are pretty steady. however the car just feels rougher while sitting or moving. alot more vibration from the engine.

the injectors themselves are pretty expensive. like 80 bucks from the dealer per injector. you're looking at $320 for all four, even if you DIY; although the actual job doesn't look difficult at all.

i opted to just swap the whole engine instead. $600 bucks for low mileage engine + tranny vs. $320 for injector replace? engine plz. it's going in tomorrow.

edit:

well this is the diagnose process someone gave me on FA. i didn't actually try it (as i'm just swapping the whole shebang).

It looks like one or more fuel injectors may be leaking excessively. To test them, unbolt the fuel rail from the intake manifold and pull off the entire assembly from the intake manifold. Keep the fuel hoses still connected and don't remove any individual injectors. Also keep the electrical connectors on the injectors. With the assembly now away from the intake, turn the ignition key to the run position WITHOUT STARTING THE ENGINE. Now observe each injector to look for leaks. There should be no drips.

Make sure you have at least 4 spare insulator rings for the injectors in case some are damaged during rail removal.

shigitySxSe
07-01-2005, 01:16 PM
i wish i had the money to just do that. i just spent somuch time and money to figure out all i needed was a new injector, so i dont want to spend more than i have to. i need to post in the "wanted" section and hopefully get lucky...

aznpoopy
07-01-2005, 01:20 PM
you could probably get a used injector or something

try a junkyard?

at least do the diagnose process to make sure that is the issue

96twofourty
07-01-2005, 02:59 PM
pull the wires one by one and make sure the engine idles rougher with each removed. If it doesnt then you have something wrong with that cylinder. And you can buy a set of 4 stock injectors used for ~$40

projectRDM
07-01-2005, 03:17 PM
pull the wires one by one and make sure the engine idles rougher with each removed. If it doesnt then you have something wrong with that cylinder. And you can buy a set of 4 stock injectors used for ~$40

And there it is. Easiest diagnosis ever, takes all of 45 seconds to complete.

shigitySxSe
07-02-2005, 01:21 PM
i do know that i have one injector that has gone bad and was causing my rough idle. all the rest are fine. any suggestions as to where i could find a cheap set of injectors, used or remanufactured or whatever. id rather replace them all if i can find them for 40 bucks like you mentioned. most the places online ive looked at so far want like 80 bucks for one.

brettyboy5654
07-02-2005, 01:53 PM
you can take all your injectors to a place like checker auto or something and they can test it for leaks its fairly cheap. If you do have a leak buy a new injector. Other than that.. it could be that you injectors were dirty. First i had a bad leaking on.. so i changed it helped... then i still had a slight idleing problem so i added some prestone fuel injector, engine cleaner crap in my gas and in a quarter tank the problem was solved. Hope this helps.

ledzeppelin240
07-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Or you could continue replacing radom parts and hope it fixes it soon...There is this procedure called diagnostics, I use it to pin point the fault and then replace that part(s).

96twofourty
07-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Or you could continue replacing radom parts and hope it fixes it soon...There is this procedure called diagnostics, I use it to pin point the fault and then replace that part(s).

replacing random parts that don't need replacement isnt exactly "pin pointing" and check ebay or 240 forums in the classified sections for the injectors