PDA

View Full Version : Odd LSD Noise

Ian
06-21-2005, 10:33 AM
LSD=Nismo 2 way

I had it installed by a shop about a month ago. They didnt have time to use a micrometer but did the dye test and it looked fine. I installed it myself and did the break in etc. Went to a track event. While at the track event i noticed that there was diff oil splattered ont he back of my car...this was very bad.
So i go and take the top plug off and a ton of fluid comes out! I think about it and realize that my dumb ass put the fluid in the first tiem w/ the rear end up in the air :doh:

So i let the fluid drain out of hte top plug and then plug it back up, so now it's got the right level of fluid in it. Drive home and everything is fine.
The next day, i'm driving around and i notice that there is a whirring type of noise coming from the rear end. It is definately rotational, speeds up when i do and slows down as well. It makes it in gear and in neutral. Stops when i'm stopped. It is definately the differential. The LSD locks fine still and i cant FEEL any problems in it. Is this noise bad or is it just something i'll have to deal with?

JaeTea
06-21-2005, 10:50 AM
If you dont want any noise use Redline oil. Mines quiet as shit.

Dousan_PG
06-21-2005, 11:17 AM
did they replace the bearings?
or reuse them
if they did a 1/2 assed job they would have reused them
its probably the bearings go
get new ones from dealer, dont cost that much. and redo it, CORRECTLY

changing fluids wont fix your problem imo

Ritz S14
06-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Don't know about your Nismo, but my Tomei came with new bearings.

Ian
06-21-2005, 01:20 PM
yeah mine came w/ bearings and everything...so it's not that