PDA

View Full Version : Good, Budget Tools?

BlazedGlory
06-01-2005, 07:11 PM
I finally got out of retail, and I'm starting all over as basically a shop bitch doing oil changes and stuff like that at a shop. I need to get some basic tools to start (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, ratchets, extensions, etc) as well as more than likely an impact wrench (air-powered). I also need to get some sort of small tool box/tray/table on wheels preferably that locks - maybe has a couple of drawers or even just a flat table with a top that folds over and locks - something basic, not huge...

Like I said, I just need basic stuff to start with, and I'll just pick up more as I need it as I go along. I'm not sure which brands are crap, which brands are best, and which brands may be the best bang for the buck that will hold up over time but not break the bank right now. I hate borrowing other people's tools...

Hep meh!

Thanks

oh yeah, and also, where the best places are to buy your recommendations...

susuki1220
06-01-2005, 07:32 PM
i bought the craftsmen i think 130 ish tool set from sears. I love it and it has many things that i actually use when i work on my car. But there are some other stuff that you will probably have to get alone the way. But i think that box is a very good investment. just my opinion.

altitude
06-01-2005, 07:46 PM
craftsman here too

I buy only what I need as I go along

Chernobyl
06-02-2005, 02:33 AM
go to a flea market and pick up quality used tools.

My dad got a ton of great old socket sets and everything else from a flea market when he started building up his tool collection.

ALTRNTV
06-02-2005, 02:59 AM
Start with Craftsman. After you advance your skill and need for better tools, upgrade to Snap-On or MAC.

kandyflip445
06-02-2005, 03:01 AM
Craftsman is what I have. I have a few Snap-On tools too but they are expensive.

SochBAT
06-02-2005, 05:19 AM
Start with Craftsman, end with craftsman. It'll last you a lifetime.

TiNMAN
06-02-2005, 05:38 AM
harbor freight :hs:

mrmephistopheles
06-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Craftsman. If you have a snap-on tool guy that comes by the shop from time to time, ask him about his used tools/boxes.
Otherwise, call local snapon guy and ask same ??s.

MakotoS13
06-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Start with Craftsman. After you advance your skill and need for better tools, upgrade to Snap-On or MAC.

that's retarded. all craftsman hand tools have a lifetime unlimited no questions asked warranty. MAC tools are nice as hell but craftsman are just as good in terms of function.

Phlip
06-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Craftsman, no need to go up to Snapon or MAC, considering the cost, when comparing the fact that they all have that warranty... Think of it this way, you break a Craftsman tool, you drive down to Sears and they hand you another without asking questions... Break a Snapon or MAC, prepare to find the truck, hope it is the guy you got it from to make it at least a little easier, tell him how you broke it and hope he has one on the truck, otherwise you wait on your shit to come back. Sometimes convenience justifies the difference in cost, but in this particular case, save money and effort and go with Craftsman.

edubb11
06-02-2005, 09:51 AM
I agree with most here. Start with a Craftsman tool set, as a matter of fact I believe they are clearancing one of their 100+ piece sets right now for under $70. They are also clearancing a tool cart for around the same price. For the impact I would go get a $20 Harbor Freight one to start and use it until it falls apart. If you need torque wrenches, go to Harbor Freight as well. Buy other specialty tools on an as-needed basis.

For possibly under $250 you can get a good start to your tool collection. YMMV on the availability of the Sears clearance items. Good luck!

Edit: Here are some links

Craftsman 2-drawer rolling storage chest $70 (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/[email protected]@@@[email protected] @@@&BV_EngineID=cclgaddekjifilecegecegjdghldghg.0&pid=00959215000&sid=I0084400010000100312&AFFL=Y&vertical=TOOL)

Sears clearance tool sets (http://www.sears.com/sr/clearance/clearance_product.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&category=Tool+Sets)

Ritz S14
06-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Snap on/Mac, their design in sockets/wrenches/screwdrivers..etc ARE sturdier and more COMFORTABLE to use. If you've held a Snap On(or Mac) ratchet, and a Craftsman's ratchet, there is a huge difference on how it feels, and performs. Usually the lower end ratchets has a firmer "click" when you're trying to losen, or tighten a bolt(pain in the ass sometimes when you're trying to tighten/losen a bolt). But when you move to the higher end tools, you do get bettry quality and performance(soft click).

All tools(yes you guys), are not created equal. :) Snap On sockets/wrenches are designed NOT to strip your sockets "flank drive" or something. Where as if you had a Craftsman socket, on a tough bolt, it would jus round off the edges.

But because most guys out there don't wrench on a daily basis, Craftsman tools will do the job.

On a side note. I bought an aluminum jack from HF, 79+tax.. Seems pretty cool, just a little small, and disappointed it's not a "quick pump". But it's low enough to where I don't have to drive over a 2x4 to get the height I need to lift up the car.

the head
06-02-2005, 10:20 AM
I use a mix of tools ratchets I have ratchets from snap-on, Facom and craftsman. I use the craftsman professinal ratchets for beating on (pipe on the handle ect) cuz they are cheap and easy to replace. my higherend ratchets are more specialty stuff (flex head, 1deg sweep, ect)

open end wrenches are craftsman and kobalt both have lifetime warrenties and they are cheap so i can cut/bend whatever to make a wrench that will fit a certian job and dump it off for a new one if i have no use for it after the job is finished...if i decide to keep it i can get another one cheap

all of my regular sockets are craftsman

Impact sockets are snap on and i use an IR impact wrench

The new craftsman pro screwdrivers are (to me) just a comfortable as the snap on ones but are less than half the price

On the subject of jacks I just picked up this one for getting under lowered cars the thing is bad ass
http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_ACHyd1_pg1.htm

Your best investment is a locking tool chest...that way you wont have to keep buying the same tools again and again.

mjjstang
06-02-2005, 01:07 PM
bought a 260 piece and some specialty shit, but i hear craftsman is discontinuing there lifetime, that is bullshit, anyway yah craftsman is good, snapon mac matco that shit is pricy but very nice. the stuff that didnt come in set like pry bars and shit im not going to use a lot, I buy the reallllllly cheap crap from harbor freight or whatnot, itll last long enough for it to be worth it.

nismo2491
06-02-2005, 05:32 PM
problem is if you work with tools ALL DAY LONG the craftsman is nice but snapon and mac are designed to be much more comortable.. and even with a lifetime warranty its still a pain in the ass when tools break, and I have yet to ever break a snap on item though I have broke stanley (CRAP!!!) and craftsman...

Yoshi
06-02-2005, 06:08 PM
I would say it depends on your proximity to the store :)
I use mostly crappy harbor freight tools cuz:
a) they're dirt cheap. I mean seriously. CHEAP
b) they have a local store right near my house, I break something (almost all their tools are lifetime replacement) I go over there and exchange it.

are craftsmen, snap-on, mac better and more comfortable? DEFINITELY! Probably in that order too. But the way I see it, the harbor freight tools get the job done, and the $ I save can go into other aspects of my car.

If working with lesser quality/comfort tools is what it takes to get closer to that T28RS I've been pining for, just a little bit faster, then I'll gladly make that sacrifice :D

zfinger
06-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Craftsman, I have the 1xx peice set in the back of my car at all times. Never had to use the lifetime warrenty either.

06-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Craftsmen if your not wrenching every day. Almost everything I own is craftsmen, but my dad is a pro mechanic. When ever I get the chance I'll use his mac or sanp-on tools, to me it's almost a world of difference. Esp the 10mm mac wrench, the thing must be a foot long! mac, snap-on > * if you wrench a lot (aka it's your job)

kandyflip445
06-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Snap-on tools are just awesome. I'd say buy craftsmen/harbor freight now and when you have more money/ break a tool replace it with something better if you use that tool a lot. Think of it this way. If you don't use the tool then it isn't making you money, so why buy it?

infinitexsound
06-02-2005, 11:21 PM
MAC tools BLOWs ! snap-on is great but be prepared to shell out 38728374839 dollars for a wrench or socket set.... if i would do my tool kit all over again.. id buy IR air tools and craftsman cheap shit.. and high end ratchets from matco or snap-on.. MAC BLOWS!! i will never ever buy their shitty crap again, what a waste of 234y128974 dollars... if some of u dont know IR builds alot of the air tools for those big name brands so... there! if u ever buy a high end impact gun, get a fair priced good one.. dont get one thats expensive as hell and has like 1000 ft pounds of torque.. learn from my mistake it snaps studs off..

chlatboy
06-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Craftsman man! Broken? Return it, no questions asked. Plus its what TY PENNINGTON wants you to get!!! :bigok:

IGSDann
06-03-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm going to UTI in August and you get 50% off Snap-On tools up to a 10 grand limit. Given that will go fast but it's still a hella good deal.

HyperTek
06-03-2005, 01:32 PM
matco! my buddy made payments with the matco truck but cuz hes a tranny mechanic.

for me, craftsman does its job.

infinitexsound
06-04-2005, 01:07 AM
10k is a TOOL BOX..... so there.. unless u want some dinky ass name brand box.. and pay so so dollars.. a craftsman box thats wide and ball bearing also is like 1/16 the price... so! blah waste like 270 on a socket set just buy some 30 dollar ones...dude making payments blows trust me u should of saw my tool bill

m0rex
06-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Every single tool of mine is snap-on it kinda took me like 10 years to collect. I hate loosing snapon though it sucks ass. Theres a lot of people that know how much snapon cost and when i use to have my shop i got jacked a lot. I was like "wtf happen to my $30 screwdriver" it pissed me off. Overall i love snapon they feel really different than any other tool when you use them a lot. I got really use to the shape, durability and feel of snapon it just feels really different but expect to pay 3x as something that does the same thing.

fastpace
06-04-2005, 11:26 AM
I bought a 250+ set of tools from crafsmen about 2 weeks ago. I was happy that I had a decent amount of tools to use. But ever since that time I have broken 2 pieces of my tool set. It kind of pissed me off, but I am just going to wait until I have some more tools break until I replce them due to the lifetime warranty.

Chernobyl
06-04-2005, 06:34 PM
i think its the massive cash you're shelling out for those snap-on tools that makes you believe they "feel so much better"

we're not all pro mechanics. No reason to buy unobtanium tools.

Blues13
06-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Just be sure to get a set with 6pt racheting sockets as well as the normal 12pt or else you will be stripping a lot of nuts.

zero.counter
06-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Autozone's Duralast with a no questions asked lifetime guarantee warranty. First of all, there are 2 autozones within 5 minutes from me (autozone are just about everywhere), the duralast brand cost less than the leading major brand tools, they are very comfortable, and don't look too shabby either. I have used them for every possible maintenance aspect on 3 cars with no issues.

I do also have to agree with the Harbor Freight tools opinion as well. The Pittsburg line they carry are great and have sonce given some to by brothers for their use with no complaints.

The key word he used was BUDGET folks. Some of the other options discussed are not examples of budget.

jsr20det
06-05-2005, 11:36 AM
I got a 52 piece craftsman for $25 bux that I leave in the hatch. Craftsman are cheap enough.

kandyflip445
06-05-2005, 04:01 PM
They are budget if you consider not having to buy new ones later down the road when you want to upgrade.

I actually broke my Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet today trying to tighen a puller down to pull off a rotor. HAHA. They give you new internals to swap out. WTF?! I thought I got a new tool. Works now though and it was free. *shrug*

MakotoS13
06-06-2005, 08:41 AM
They are budget if you consider not having to buy new ones later down the road when you want to upgrade.

I actually broke my Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet today trying to tighen a puller down to pull off a rotor. HAHA. They give you new internals to swap out. WTF?! I thought I got a new tool. Works now though and it was free. *shrug*

should've given you a new ratchet. you got ripped.

Stock-S13
06-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Uhh, never in the 4 years I have worked on my novice set of Craftsman tools have they replaced a whole wrench. They simply replace the wrenches socket area (internals) and ask you to wait while they do it before you.

This philpino lady became my best friend when I needed mine replaced 3 times in a day, I was pissed to say the least. They do however replace sockets in that manner, they have this big box they use to recycle the metal used to fordge others once again.

I just stick to HF, 600 ft/lb impact gun for 170 dollars with warranty. I forget where I left my policy though. Both sears and HF are in the ghetto so i Just go further down inot the ghetto forfar better tools and savings!

ALTRNTV
06-06-2005, 02:15 PM
I broke my Craftsman socket wrench today. I lost my receipt from Sears where I bought it. Do I need a receipt to have it replaced?

Stock-S13
06-06-2005, 02:19 PM
No, just walk up to the service department and say I need this fixed. 5-6 minutes later, you're on your way.

They won't replace it with another new one, atleast in my experience, just have them service it and continue with your work.

Ok, study time.

ALTRNTV
06-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Cool. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

airsoft
06-06-2005, 02:22 PM
If you are on budget budget... try craigslist tons of people are selling there Craftsman mechanic sets or what not.

Not too bad, just buy it old and used and go get it replaced at Sears. (craftsman)
except for anything that measures torque and some others i believe... those aren't life time, but sockets, rachets, wrenches, and stuff are.

:)

theicecreamdan
06-07-2005, 12:41 AM
I was looking at some of the shti my friend had in his garage today and I saw this http://imageserver0.textamerica.com/user.images.x/39/IMG_448739/_0606/T520050606172025142.jpg
http://imageserver0.textamerica.com/user.images.x/39/IMG_448739/_0606/T520050606171620504.jpg
http://imageserver0.textamerica.com/user.images.x/39/IMG_448739/_0606/T520050606171742508.jpg

1/2" ratchet that had been broken, so my friend welded it solid and tried to use a breaker bar, and the square broke off, so he was just messing around with his welder and he welded it to a piece of angle iron. so I had the great idea to take it to sears. so we cut it off the angle iron and cruise down there.

girl at desk "what did you DO?"
me "ummm... well it stopped working so I tried to make a breaker bar out of it, and it broke."

she reached into the bin and handed me a new ratchet. and Now I have a new ratchet because my friend didnt have the balls to try and return his handiwork.
http://imageserver0.textamerica.com/user.images.x/39/IMG_448739/_0606/T520050606234428715.jpg

rainier
06-07-2005, 12:53 AM
craftsman tools rock. i always buy cheap craftsman tools from like garage sales that are all junk and turn them in for new ones. they dont ask shit. just a little explaining and your good.

theicecreamdan
06-07-2005, 12:59 AM
i wanted to tell that girl that I dropped the ratchet

or something along the lines of partying really hard, having too much alcohol, and waking up to a bunch of broken tools.

Stock-S13
06-07-2005, 01:13 AM
I always get the pompus middle aged non-management type working the counter when I go. They always have this sort of expression where they feel you are pestering them by asking them to call the technician and fix my Tool. I find the need to gouge them with a rusty spoon justa s all those emo kids I hate so much.

Cheap? I have yey to see a cheap Craftsman anything, I payed 14 dollars for a Flare nut wrench and still stripped my rear hard brake lines. I was stupidly pissed that my 1.50 Autozone Spl 10mm wrench worked better. I felt like throwing a fit, but i never found the time, and my anger subsided. Then later realized how dumb it was to allow myself to be upset by others.

I still vouch for Harbor Freight, ugly ass people but they get you in and out. The lady at the counter had a mustache (seriously!) and kept on calling/talking to me by first name (as though she would evoke something perhaps?) for 11 minutes while they searched for my Impact gun, but other than that TOP NOTCH. And besides, there is always mail order.

theicecreamdan
06-07-2005, 02:00 AM
last time I was at harbor freight there was 2 hotties working the registers

Stock-S13
06-07-2005, 02:32 AM

kandyflip445
06-07-2005, 02:37 AM
I was looking at some of the shti my friend had in his garage today and I saw this http://imageserver0.textamerica.com/user.images.x/39/IMG_448739/_0606/T520050606172025142.jpg
http://imageserver0.textamerica.com/user.images.x/39/IMG_448739/_0606/T520050606171620504.jpg
http://imageserver0.textamerica.com/user.images.x/39/IMG_448739/_0606/T520050606171742508.jpg

1/2" ratchet that had been broken, so my friend welded it solid and tried to use a breaker bar, and the square broke off, so he was just messing around with his welder and he welded it to a piece of angle iron. so I had the great idea to take it to sears. so we cut it off the angle iron and cruise down there.

girl at desk "what did you DO?"
me "ummm... well it stopped working so I tried to make a breaker bar out of it, and it broke."

she reached into the bin and handed me a new ratchet. and Now I have a new ratchet because my friend didnt have the balls to try and return his handiwork.
http://imageserver0.textamerica.com/user.images.x/39/IMG_448739/_0606/T520050606234428715.jpg

You need to send that in to Craftsman dude. Seriously, that is damn funny. :bowrofl:

theicecreamdan
06-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Huskey tools from Home Depot are good too, and they take back broken tools as well.

they have a cool ratchet that you can turn the handle to turn the sockets, pretty badass.

MakotoS13
06-07-2005, 07:47 PM
idunno why anybdoy knocks craftsman. hell, buy the craftsman sockets and get your prefered ratchet. hell, just get the higher end craftsman stuff.

i just repacked the moving parts in my ratchets and they're good as new.

JtWo
06-09-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and give you the advice of getting craftsman. Husky is actually a really good brand to get also. If you work barehand, and you're not using snap on or matco tools, your hands get sore by lunch time, so buy gloves too? Tools get lost/stolen. My parents bought me a snap on tool box filled with snap on tools for my xmas/bday present...and half the tools got stolen before I could actually work :(

ALTRNTV
06-09-2005, 02:19 AM
I bought the Gator Grip socket from the As Seen on TV store a couple weeks back. Cost $12 there. No need to look for the right socket, just use the Gator Grip. I didn't want to buy the ratchet that you can also buy, since I don't know how good of quality those are. I just slapped the GG socket onto my Craftsman. I love this thing.

infinitexsound
06-09-2005, 12:30 PM
LOL JTWO daymn sucks to be u, that must of been a few hundred dollars down the drain.. id be pissed... and start nailing some people to a cross..