PDA

View Full Version : Metal heads

AMD 240
05-18-2005, 02:25 PM
i would like to know how many metal heads are here and what your favorite metal bands are.

mine are:
System of a Down :rawk:
Macabre :rawk:
At The Gates
Arch Enemy :rawk:
Opeth
Deicide
Morbid Angel :rawk:
God Forbid
Unearth
Dying Fetus :rawk:
Cradle of Filth :rawk:
Suffocation.....and more

Big Daddy
05-18-2005, 02:40 PM
SOD, American Head Charge, BLS, Rob, Pantera, Sepurtura, etc...

Ryno
05-18-2005, 02:59 PM
lamb of god, 100 demons, sinai beach, as i lay dying....thats what in my cd player right now.

Var
05-18-2005, 03:02 PM
i would like to know how many metal heads are here and what your favorite metal bands are.

mine are:
System of a Down :rawk:
Macabre :rawk:
At The Gates
Arch Enemy :rawk:
Opeth
Deicide
Morbid Angel :rawk:
God Forbid
Unearth
Dying Fetus :rawk:
Cradle of Filth :rawk:
Suffocation.....and more

I second that.

But i dont like Deicide, cause they are a group of retarded inbreds, and i've never heard of Macabre.

My favorite are Opeth and At the Gates

Giant Robot
05-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Carcass
Arghoslent
Master
Forbidden
Vio-Lence
IRON MAIDEN!!
Sabbat (UK)
Tankard
Assassin
Destruction
Kreator
Sodom
Cranium
Hypnosia
Sepultura (85-89)
Atheist
Cynic
Neglected Fields
Grand Belial's Key
Demolition Hammer
Autopsy
Demilich
The Crown (but only when they made albums under Crown of Thorns)
Dismember
Entombed
Carnage
Grave
Unleashed
Mercyful Fate
King Diamond
Disciples of Power
Rigor Mortis
Pan-Thy-Monium
Slayer (81-90)
TestAmenT
Dark Angel
Megadeth
im real picky on stuff like this. But im a HUGE fan of mid 80's to late 80's Thrash Metal, mostly Bay Area thrash stuff....

and i cant stand the Gothenburg Swedish bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork, etc... Stockholm Swedish bands is where it started for the Scandinavian scene :)

Edit: i cant beleive i left out Megadeth

Big Daddy
05-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Carcass
Arghoslent
Master
Forbidden
Vio-Lence
IRON MAIDEN!!
Sabbat (UK)
Tankard
Assassin
Destruction
Kreator
Sodom
Cranium
Hypnosia
Sepultura (85-89)
Atheist
Cynic
Neglected Fields
Grand Belial's Key
Demolition Hammer
Autopsy
Demilich
The Crown (but only when they made albums under Crown of Thorns)
Dismember
Entombed
Carnage
Grave
Unleashed
Mercyful Fate
King Diamond
Disciples of Power
Rigor Mortis
Pan-Thy-Monium
Slayer (81-90)
TestAmenT
Dark Angel

im real picky on stuff like this. But im a HUGE fan of mid 80's to late 80's Thrash Metal, mostly Bay Area thrash stuff....

and i cant stand the Gothenburg Swedish bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork, etc... Stockholm Swedish bands is where it started for the Scandinavian scene :)
:wackit: :rawk:

MakotoS13
05-18-2005, 03:16 PM
sepultura, soilwork, opeth, in flames, megadeth, pantera, corrosion of conformity, anthrax, ozzy, back label society etc etc....

matlock
05-18-2005, 03:19 PM
-IRON MAIDEN for sure is my fave metal band,
-Metallica (Kill Em All, And Justice for all, Ride THe lightning, Master of puppets) not digging the newer albums, although the black album is good too, just kinda played out.
-Children Of Bodom
-Between The Buried And Me
-The Scorpions
-Grim Reaper
-Van Halen (not Van Hagar)
-A bunch of 80's Bands I play guitar and love old school rippy solos

Giant Robot
05-18-2005, 03:23 PM
I second that.

But i dont like Deicide, cause they are a group of retarded inbreds, and i've never heard of Macabre.

My favorite are Opeth and At the Gates

I'd reccomend picking up the early Macabre stuff especially Sinister Slaughter. Perhaps THE fastest double bass ever recorded and its no joke. Gloom was their first album and was considered brutally fast for 1987. They sing about murderers with a nursery rhyme twist that is melodic of course but very sadistic and humurours in a crude way. The newer albums like Murder Metal and Dahmer are ok, more nursery rhymes than ever, slower/midpaced, yet still very sadisitc :)

AMD 240
05-18-2005, 03:24 PM
wow....i didnt know there were this many metal heads on this board. :rawk:

www.murdermetal.com <---Macabre's website

poziden
05-19-2005, 12:07 AM
fuck yeah!

ozzfest 2005:
black sabbath
iron maiden (my fav band of all time)
arch enemy
in flames
others that i cant think of right now... buts its gonna be a good show. cya there!

others that arent playing ozzfest:
manowar, children of bodom, cradle, nightwish (i dont care what people say about them... i like their music)... too many to list.

rock on brothers

gorgasm
05-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Bathory
Behemoth
Carcass
Carpathian Forest
Cattle Decapitation
Dark Funeral
Decapitated
Deeds of Flesh
Disgorge
Dissection
Dying Fetus
Exhumed
Fleshgrind
Ghoul
Goratory
Gorgasm
Gorgoroth
Immortal
Impaled
Lord Gore
Mortician
Necrophagist
Nile
Pig Destroyer
Satyricon
Skinless
Spawn of Posession
Vehemence

to name a few..

AMD 240
05-19-2005, 11:52 AM
i forgot to ad gwar they are insane!!!!

i like dimmu borgir too but i dont think many people like them

Romeyo07
05-19-2005, 12:57 PM
def leopard sucks!

Var
05-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Dimmu Borgir is cool. I've seen them live in SF and they kicked ass.

Giant Robot
05-19-2005, 01:27 PM
haha, Dimmu Borgir, hahahah

Big Daddy
05-19-2005, 01:30 PM
fuck yeah!

ozzfest 2005:
black sabbath
iron maiden (my fav band of all time)
arch enemy
in flames
others that i cant think of right now... buts its gonna be a good show. cya there!

others that arent playing ozzfest:
manowar, children of bodom, cradle, nightwish (i dont care what people say about them... i like their music)... too many to list.

rock on brothers
Main reason why i'm not going to Ozzfest cause fucking Iron Maiden pulled out. i know they have previous engagements but shit man, when Ozzfest finally comes to Houston, they fucking pulled out. I've always wanted to see Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden in the same venue, now i can't. oh well. And WTF is this, Will Smith's wife is in a metal band and doing the tour as well?

Var
05-19-2005, 01:50 PM
I wonder if Maiden pulled out of my local Ozzfest also? I'd better check it out quick. or else i'm not going either.

Giant Robot
05-19-2005, 03:36 PM
honestly im kinda happy that Maiden pulled out of Ozzfest. Maiden crowds and Ozzy crowds dont mix. Probably also that Maiden doesnt want to be associated with "mall-metal" type of people.

Maiden fans will only go to see Maiden at Ozzfest for Maiden alone. and Arch Enemy trying to reach out to new fans, good for them. I really do hope Chris Amott breaks it big because he really is talented. On the other hand Michael Amott is already legendary for helping creating that swedish buzzsaw sound in Carnage and then joining with Carcass.

Big Daddy
05-19-2005, 03:52 PM
honestly im kinda happy that Maiden pulled out of Ozzfest. Maiden crowds and Ozzy crowds dont mix. Probably also that Maiden doesnt want to be associated with "mall-metal" type of people.

Maiden fans will only go to see Maiden at Ozzfest for Maiden alone. and Arch Enemy trying to reach out to new fans, good for them. I really do hope Chris Amott breaks it big because he really is talented. On the other hand Michael Amott is already legendary for helping creating that swedish buzzsaw sound in Carnage and then joining with Carcass.
eh, not really. i love all types of music and i'm sure there is a few that do as well.
reason why Maiden pulled out was they already had some scheduled concerts in europe or something like that. oh well, next time perhaps

Var
05-19-2005, 04:03 PM
it's all about "Fear of the Dark"

Start it at the top of the mountain. Get your helmet on. Hum the melody..waiting for the fast part. Then you go balls out down the hill.

Giant Robot
05-19-2005, 05:27 PM

http://dma.sjsu.edu/~art101b/jpham/metal.gif

personal favorite:
http://www.netsector.com/tony/maiden/pics/singles/aces_high.jpg

poziden
05-19-2005, 05:59 PM
NOOOOO!!! i really hope maiden didnt pull out of ozzfest, bc i bought tickets for a texas show (i was gonna fly out there with a firend after finals). i have to double check. =( this ruins my day.

but on a lighter note, juas priest is playing june 8th and therion is playing sept 24th... all in socal... anyone going to those?

JDMark
05-19-2005, 08:41 PM
my favs:
In Flames
As I Lay Dying
Dark Tranquility
Soil Work
Killswitch Engage

kazuo
05-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Gwar and Opeth

and guess what? They both playin at Shoreline (IIRC) in NORCAL soon... woot!

Yay for GWAR and Opeth!

Var
05-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Opeth is so good, whenever i go to write a song , I realize that Opeth already wrote it. THey took all the good riffs. BASTARDS :fawk2:

007jpang
05-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Opeth is so good, whenever i go to write a song , I realize that Opeth already wrote it. THey took all the good riffs. BASTARDS :fawk2:

hey var is it possible to hook up those fry's speakers into the car??

they sound so good.

Big Daddy
05-20-2005, 07:41 AM

Start it at the top of the mountain. Get your helmet on. Hum the melody..waiting for the fast part. Then you go balls out down the hill.
:werd:

my personal favorite of Maiden is 7th son of the 7th son:rawk:

Big Daddy
05-20-2005, 07:43 AM
NOOOOO!!! i really hope maiden didnt pull out of ozzfest, bc i bought tickets for a texas show (i was gonna fly out there with a firend after finals). i have to double check. =( this ruins my day.

but on a lighter note, juas priest is playing june 8th and therion is playing sept 24th... all in socal... anyone going to those?
for sure i know they are out of the Houston show. main reason why i didn't buy tickets.

Kreator
05-20-2005, 08:14 AM
bleh. metal is getting popular. suckij :(

2 years ago when i made a similar thread, there were only 4 people that responded... the board did grow since then though.

Var
05-20-2005, 11:58 AM
i wish more people liked metal. And i wish less people liked drifting. Reason?

If more people like the music i like, there will be a higher chance of it being on the radio. Music is unlimited. Every single person in the world can listen to the same song and it wont be in shortage. Also if more people like metal, it takes away from the horrible horrible crap that's on the radio and mtv right now that's called music. I'm not one to like something just cause it's not mainstream. I like it cause i like it. Even if i hate the people that listen to my music, they're not taking anything away from me. Metal is deep music reguardless of what people think. You have to get past the noisy front of the music and appreciate all the intricacy and hidden effort that goes into making everything happen. The sound of it is not something people can handle so it's not gonna blow up too big anyways. Unless they are angry confused kids, or people that are really into music.

Now compared to 240's and drifting. The more people that get into it, the higher the price of shells go. Track days are always full. Parts are always getting snagged quickly, even from the junkyards. There are more and more idiots crashing in the mountains, and attracting negative attention from the car community and from law enforcement. I'm just happy it's not the drag car of choice *yet*

That's why i get defensive about cars and not about music. Metal is for anyone that can take it.

AMD 240
05-20-2005, 12:33 PM
i grew up on metal...when i was a little kid i was listening to old metallica, acdc, and all them...then i started listening to rap :nono:
now i got back into metal like 4 years ago...never stopped listening to it since :coold:

Kreator
05-20-2005, 04:38 PM
If more people like the music i like, there will be a higher chance of it being on the radio. Music is unlimited. Every single person in the world can listen to the same song and it wont be in shortage. Also if more people like metal, it takes away from the horrible horrible crap that's on the radio and mtv right now that's called music. I'm not one to like something just cause it's not mainstream. I like it cause i like it. Even if i hate the people that listen to my music, they're not taking anything away from me. Metal is deep music reguardless of what people think. You have to get past the noisy front of the music and appreciate all the intricacy and hidden effort that goes into making everything happen. The sound of it is not something people can handle so it's not gonna blow up too big anyways. Unless they are angry confused kids, or people that are really into music.

i disagree. there is one big problem with everything popular - it becomes trendy. and trendiness sucks. that's why i think drifting sucks. Not because its a shitty sport, but because you got all the morons that got into it because its currently considered cool. Same shit happens to everything that becomes popular. If now going to a concert i can talk to anyone and go in depth discussing particular band and compare to other bands because they are as knowledgable on the subject as i am, if metal becomes popular, the concerts will be filled up with morons that "heard the song on the radio" and dont really give a shit about the genre.

I've been in the seen since 1996, and as much as i hate half empty halls on some famous bands, i would hate to have metal played on the radio.

Var
05-20-2005, 05:50 PM
if metal becomes popular, the concerts will be filled up with morons that "heard the song on the radio" and dont really give a shit about the genre.

I've been in the scene since 1996, and as much as i hate half empty halls on some famous bands, i would hate to have metal played on the radio.

Going on the general assumption that everyone i approach(not only at metal shows) is going to be stupid, i dont have this problem. I can see what you're saying about concert, but concerts arent a part of my day to day life, but my car is. ANyways..i get your POV

Giant Robot
05-20-2005, 06:45 PM
bleh. metal is getting popular. suckij :(

i can kinda see your POV on this. half good half bad. Metal was HUGE in the 80's. It was what rap was in the 90's. It was hugely popular, but not as accessible because of the general consensus of it being "noise" or "satanic" (stupid Geraldo Riveria special).

Iron Maiden is a perfect example of being the most popular band in the early to late 80's. They were the most popular, put out 7 back to back albums, sold out crowds in almost every single tour, one of the richest $$$ band's in history, YET they never got any airplay. They had singles, but singles didnt do ANYTHING for them. thankfully Iron Maiden was extremely talented as well as extremely popular for inspiring bands, perfected and improved the blueprint for "Metal" writing and all in all brought extremely loyal fans to share a same interest. Then Iron Maiden started to suck with the loss of Adrian Smith in 1988. They realized this and thats why the stuff they play on tour nowadays is mostly the "Bruce Dickinson" era.

On the downside to metal being popular, yea metal was somewhat "reserved" for the purist and underground fans. Kind of an extreme view, but thats just how it was. If it wasnt for the underground tape trading ring back in the mid-late 80's, then we wouldnt have bands like Death, Carcass, Master, Terrorizer, NAPALM DEATH, Possessed, Kreator, Sodom etc...But then again, if it wasnt for the popularity of Iron Maiden, also being extremely influenced and talented, these underground bands wouldn't have had any inspiration.
Unfortunately record labels were trying to take metal and put a lame twist on it creating "Mall-Metal" bullshit. That went sour quick and fans of this genre started turning to the 3rd or 4th movement in metal. This stuff became less accessible, but still had the association of being "metal", thus making them be "cool"

Today, most bands lack originality and everything is being recycled. Not just metal, but almost all genres of music in general.

Kreator
05-20-2005, 08:06 PM
hah. spelling nazis. a man can't even make a typo after a hard day of work without being noticed. Note: i almost never make spelling mistakes lol.

i dont know, i enjoy music beyond just listening to it in the car or on the radio :) i like to communicate, to socialize with people of the same interests... makes it more fun :)

as for the metal scene... see back in 1996, i was getting raised on the old school stuff. Kreator, Slayer, Overkill, Death.... The early-mid nintees, metal was dead. Noone was listening to it, no bands were springing up.

late 90s showed new progress.... the new generation of good metal (not nu-metal) emerged: COB, Opeth, Soilwork, In Flames, SYL... by today they got the recognition, but now attract the new generation of listeners.

So every time i go to a concert, i see these long haired 40 year old folks wearing leather jackets with Testamant and Destruction shirts, along with an always increasing number of teenish folks in regular loose attire wearing baseball caps.

Now i'm in early 20s myself, but i tend to side with the old people as my generation of metal heads... so these new people are kind of inferior to me and i think of them as just folks that are jumping something that is getting popular... people that aren't going to stay in it for long. Good or bad, i don't know. By all means, i like these new bands myself alot. But i think i would enjoy it more the old way without the extra attention :)

AMD 240
05-20-2005, 10:09 PM
hey guys....i found something that you would all like. its some macabre songs...Macabre (http://www.myspace.com/macabre)

prior...
05-21-2005, 05:25 PM
heres some internet radio sites for all the metal fans...

http://death.fm
www.rothmetal.com/home.html
www.blackmetalradio.com

all are really good... you can request whatever you want on the first two.

im a fan of everything metal... from cannibal corpse to pantera to opeth. im a big at the gates fan... tomas lindberg kicks ass. i also love COB. advice for everyone, go see COB live. one of the best shows i've seen handsdown.

some bands that i recommend to everyone.
nightrage (lindberg's new band)
kalmah
cryptopsy

Var
05-21-2005, 08:11 PM
The last metal show i went to was SOAD, and before that was Mnemic, Hypocrisy, Dark Tranquility, and Soilwork. I just realized at this show how much Hypocrisy kicks ass. They are damn good. I think Soilwork had no business headlining this show. The order should have been Mnemic, Soilwork, Hypocrisy, then Dark Tranquility headlining.

Kreator
05-21-2005, 08:30 PM
The last metal show i went to was SOAD, and before that was Mnemic, Hypocrisy, Dark Tranquility, and Soilwork. I just realized at this show how much Hypocrisy kicks ass. They are damn good. I think Soilwork had no business headlining this show. The order should have been Mnemic, Soilwork, Hypocrisy, then Dark Tranquility headlining.

haha, i saw them on the tour when they were over in va :)
yeah, i actually went to see hypocrisy for the most part. wasn't much of a dt fan before, but i got into their style during the show :) soilwork was decent... but yeah i gotta agree, there are better bands out there. their sound is more "poppish", so i guess they attract more people => more money. mnemic kinda sucked... the guy got a nice mohawk though.

AMD 240
05-22-2005, 10:50 AM
system of a down kicks ass!!! there new cd is great..