PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET Down - heres what I'm doing any opinions?

katbak
04-22-2005, 03:58 PM
I took my car to the shop a couple weeks ago , I had my MAF replaced and they ran it on a dyno

I was going to pick it up when they just called and said your fuel pump took a crap, they replaced that but found that was fine and did a compression test and all the cylinders ran 160 except the second ran 100. It is leaking air and the seal is bad. I need to rebuild it and I'm buying a long block for 900 and having it installed for 1500... It's from Japan and has had a compression test done and it's all good but its got around 40k miles on it.

is this the best way to go? just wondering what you all do with your blown sr20s...

Later :wtc:

MakotoS13
04-22-2005, 04:34 PM
a little tip, if you're going to have a motor swapped car: know how to work on it and/or have enough money to pay someone else to.

how many miles on this dying sr?

katbak
04-22-2005, 05:48 PM
I have enough money to pay someone else to do it, I can't do it as of now, I don't have enough experience with that shit trust me. I'm 17 but by the time I'm 20 I'll have the knowledge.
I bought it and the owner said it had 2k miles on it, I drove it for ~1k... yeah it f'in sucks..

SR240DET
04-22-2005, 06:25 PM
age have nothing to do with experience... buy the time i was 15-16 i rebuilt my sisters corolla engine and my oldest brothers honda engine.... you just dont take the time to research.... but anyways...

you bought the car with the sr in it? or bought the sr from some dude?
now that you have an extra sr long block.... you can use that is your first rebuild if you want... its always nice to have a spaire long block handy..

96 S14
04-24-2005, 08:43 PM
age have nothing to do with experience... buy the time i was 15-16 i rebuilt my sisters corolla engine and my oldest brothers honda engine.... you just dont take the time to research.... but anyways...

you bought the car with the sr in it? or bought the sr from some dude?
now that you have an extra sr long block.... you can use that is your first rebuild if you want... its always nice to have a spaire long block handy..

First off this kid dosen't even know what kinda car he is driving let alone the parts that I INSTALLED on the car before I sold it.

Here is what it had when I sold it.........

95 SE S14

Converted to 5spd
SR Redtop
HKS turbo timer
HKS rocker arm thrasher kit
HKS metal flow filter
Greddy Profec B Spec II
Greddy Oil Pan
Greddy VSPL FMIC
Greddy Type S bov
Greddy shift knob
Exedy clutch
Aasco alum. flywheel
Koyo SR radiator with electric fan
Defi BF Meter Gauges (Boost, egt, oil pressure)
Defi Control Unit II
Apex Safc II
RSR 3' downpipe
test pipe 3'
Apex N1 Single
Tanabe tranny mount brace
HKS plugs
new belts, new hoses
Koni adjustables
Eibach Sportlines
ST sways
Battery relocation

The motor was compressioned tested when I finished building it and it ran 160 across the board. I have read threads that showed he had been playing with the Profec B and caused the turbo to spike. Just search under his screen name.

The motor was used and I put 2k on it with no problems. The MAF and Fuel Pump were brand new so I don't know why these items would go bad this fast. The harness was professionally done by TougeFactory in Chicago.

Also, why cant you use your own pictures of the car instead of posting your signature pick of a picture I took of the car when it was mine. That is kinda wierd. Its even in my driveway in that picture.

Its truly a shame to hear that something you put all your effort into gets abused by the next owner and gets destroyed. Not only does the motor go bad but now I read that he wrecked the car as well. It had new headlights and a freshpaintjob when I got it a year ago. Man talk about depressing......

Rubin

sr_zenki
04-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Rubin, I'm sorry this idiot bought your car and ruined it.Seriously how do you buy such a beautiful car, that has had SO much damn work done to it and not know shit about it.You bought this car because you're probaly some stuck up little rich kid that gets anything he ask for.I don't know Rubin personally but I've talked to him so much about this car and seen how much work he has put in this machine and you came along and ruined it.This car was Rubin's baby and you freaking killed it, you should apologize to Rubin.Dude the only advice I have for you right now is to sell it to one of the good people on Zilvia.net, they atleast know their shit about cars.I might know much but I know enough to get me somewhere if the car ever broke.I should have bought the car when I had a chance.Peace

RSP13-Sideways
04-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Rubin, I'm sorry this idiot bought your car and ruined it.Seriously how do you buy such a beautiful car, that has had SO much damn work done to it and not know shit about it.You bought this car because you're probaly some stuck up little rich kid that gets anything he ask for.I don't know Rubin personally but I've talked to him so much about this car and seen how much work he has put in this machine and you came along and ruined it.This car was Rubin's baby and you freaking killed it, you should apologize to Rubin.Dude the only advice I have for you right now is to sell it to one of the good people on Zilvia.net, they atleast know their shit about cars.I might know much but I know enough to get me somewhere if the car ever broke.I should have bought the car when I had a chance.Peace

This last post was pretty worthless to the thread......Why do you feel bad? Rubin sold it and got his money....move on with your life. I agree that it sucks to see your car blow up, but he got cash in his hand...so he can go buy another one.

Anyway, to the original poster.....learn how to use a boost controller before playing with the dials....and just slap the stock bottom end on and drive it.......stock bottom ends can handle a lot of abuse as long as you don't spike 30+lbs of boost by accident.

dct223
04-24-2005, 11:24 PM
heh, i rememberd reading his posts about turning off the boost controller, and the turbo spiking to 20 psi or something and asked if it was normal =/ that probably did something to the red top.. sucks that you put so much hard work into the car and he ended up doing something stupid to break it...

and that is kinda weird how he used a pic you took in his sig... i always thought to myself, if i ever sell my car, i would have to sell it to someone i know, or give a little interview for interested buyers and find a good buyer that will treat my car good haha.

CKAMC
04-25-2005, 12:48 AM
*makes a mental note to conduct interviews when and IF he ever sells his 13*

lordy kid doesnt even deserve the car... yeah nice to pay someone else but come on get down and dirty.

i only pay for people to do electrical stuff to my car... to make a long story short voltage hurts when its turned up high!

Kid sell your car to someone on here ... then go buy a b15 or some line of sentra and rock it stock for a year before u do anything to upgrade it and learn how to do the basics... then maybe come back to 240 land...maybe.....

katbak
04-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Here is what it had when I sold it.........

Heres also what it had:

Blown strut rod bushings, bald tires, misaligned, an exhaust leak like you wouldn't believe, no catalytic converter, the back of the car was stripped clean, back seats not bolted down (imagine how much this smelled), the trunk was misaligned and rattled around every pebble. Vacuum hoses not connected correctly, Door panels were missing several screws (rattling) driver seat stiching was completely torn up, Defi control unit, TT, BC, and Safc were rolling around the dash with wires showing, a blown rear speaker, the Blow off valve was mounted wrong and had a dent in the hood from the pressure, glove box was permanently open, trust me theres more that Im not mentioning... but he said this car was good for a daily driver...

Its not a suprise that this car didn't pass inspection for months, they found dozens of problems and we eventually took it to a place where a friend passed it illegally, though everything was fixed except for the tint.

I didn't blow the god damn motor, I had it taken in for tuning I never redlined it. It was running fine after they replaced the MAF and then it started losing horsepower. I'm not some spoiled kid I split the cost with my father and I threw down 6,000 cash which I worked for.

You modded the car, but it didn't look like you actually took care of it, you have no idea the effort I've put into this car, I didn't wreck it ever so please vent your frustration somewhere else and move on.

And don't fucking address me as "this kid".

Have a good one :bow:

MakotoS13
04-26-2005, 09:48 AM
ya know, the only way i'll sell my car to someone under a certain age/maturity level is if they over me a ridiculous amount of money for it.

Ian
04-26-2005, 09:49 AM
hah, you my friend are just a small poser...no way around it

the trunk rattles? wtf? no catalytic converter?

give the car back, dont ask for your money and walk away...you do not belong here

katbak
04-26-2005, 12:44 PM
It was misaligned meaning it didn't even close right.

I'm a small poser. Think about who you are, Have fun talkin shit online in a deal which you know nothing about?

Who am I trying to be? I'm not trying to be anything how am I posing... please...

Your a hardass aren't you? Not too far away either I'd drive up there just to have you talk shit to my face. You people only talk so much because you know that shit won't happen and your just another name online. If you really feel so compelled to make an extra flame in this topic then you have some things you should work out with yourself, I'd be happy to put a brick on the throttle while your passed out in the front seat with a rag of rubbing alcohol in your lap and aim you towards the nearest bridge, just let me know what shithole part of arlington you live in.

You didn't even make a comment in here before now and i highly doubt you read it, get a life and know your shit before you speak.

seksi240
04-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Katbak: If all those things you listed were actually wrong with the car, then why did you buy it...

Yoshi
04-26-2005, 03:13 PM

This thread amuses me :)

My only complaint is the quote above... simply because you said this:
I'm 17 but by the time I'm 20 I'll have the knowledge.

you're (conjuction!) 17, 1 year to go and you'll be a man, but til then, you're officially a "kid". No worries man, all of us have had the condescending "adult" talk down to us :)

On a serious note tho, try to learn more before you play with things that are as dangerous as the boost controller... hind sight is 20/20, I know, but it's an expensive mistake to learn from! For how much $ you're talking about spending, talk to some of the shop sponsors on here for quotes/ideas/advice, almost every vendor I've dealt with here has been a very friendly and a great help. You have lots of resources available, don't try to just fix your problems by throwing $ at them, that's no way to go thru life :D

CKAMC
04-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Katbak: If all those things you listed were actually wrong with the car, then why did you buy it...

I put a big huge +1 on top of that since I also wonder myself why you did that

96 S14
04-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Heres also what it had:

Blown strut rod bushings, bald tires, misaligned, an exhaust leak like you wouldn't believe, no catalytic converter, the back of the car was stripped clean, back seats not bolted down (imagine how much this smelled), the trunk was misaligned and rattled around every pebble. Vacuum hoses not connected correctly, Door panels were missing several screws (rattling) driver seat stiching was completely torn up, Defi control unit, TT, BC, and Safc were rolling around the dash with wires showing, a blown rear speaker, the Blow off valve was mounted wrong and had a dent in the hood from the pressure, glove box was permanently open, trust me theres more that Im not mentioning... but he said this car was good for a daily driver...

Its not a suprise that this car didn't pass inspection for months, they found dozens of problems and we eventually took it to a place where a friend passed it illegally, though everything was fixed except for the tint.

I didn't blow the god damn motor, I had it taken in for tuning I never redlined it. It was running fine after they replaced the MAF and then it started losing horsepower. I'm not some spoiled kid I split the cost with my father and I threw down 6,000 cash which I worked for.

You modded the car, but it didn't look like you actually took care of it, you have no idea the effort I've put into this car, I didn't wreck it ever so please vent your frustration somewhere else and move on.

You truly have no idea what you are talking about. For example: You asked me if doing the 5spd swapped took away from the car???? (what the hell does that mean?). You also have stated a bunch of times on Zilvia that you drive a S13 chasis 240sx, try again. Your knowledge base is about as large as Mike Tyson's brain......penuts.....

You didn't blow the car up huh? Sure, pushing the stock t25 to 20psi for a while does nothing negative to the car.........right......... You know want to blame me for the car being junk. Typical end for a situation like this..... Funny the motor dosen't pop until 5 months after you have had it.

Your problem is you bought a moded car that you knew nothing about, and you obviously haven't learned anything about it either. You also knew nothing about your inspection standards for the state of Maryland. Thats your fault not mine. Many of those problems are BS up there, and I don't have the time to talk on each one. I hope the car gets running soon, its a shame to see this all turn out this way.

You want to speak on hard work to getting this car to run. Try buying a car with now motor, trans, suspension, or brakes. Then do everything I did including the 5spd swap. Talk about how long you have worked on it, I spent 3 months building the damn thing, and 2 months research and prep! Please!

Later,

Rubin

dct223
04-26-2005, 09:29 PM
i like how u mentioned that the car didnt pass visual inspection... and how there was no cat.. lol... it had a SR swapped into it, thats a automatic red flag for a smog tech when he sees a turbo and some sort of intercooler on a NA car... and plus majority of people who run a SR dont even put on a cat... ur making it seem that u thought SR's are legal... o.O

420sx
04-26-2005, 10:37 PM
umm ur 17? and dont do ur own work? wtf kinda man u are... oh wait not a man yet.

Ian
04-26-2005, 10:59 PM
katback come on over to my "shithole"

i really think you have no idea what you're talking about

and i do...

so come over and try to kill me or whatever you want...you'll see what happens poser boy...haha

Silverbullet
04-26-2005, 11:04 PM
come over my hosue when ur done with him. we should dance.

SimpleS14
04-26-2005, 11:11 PM
<== sense thread will be locked

To the original poster, I'd like to know why you bought the car if it had those problems and you can't fix them yourself. Sell the car to me when you give up on it. :)

mainevent212: stfu, you don't know ish y0...got beef? :D (j/k)

Ian
05-03-2005, 08:46 AM
so uh...i'm yet to see any poorly running red S14's around town yet..

are you coming or what?

rrobe99999
05-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Katbak, sucks that your motor was blown. I think that will be the best way for you to get your car fixed. I think you deserve props for not trying blame the shop as I've seen others do. Save the blown motor and learn how to rebuild it if you can. Ignore those who choose to flame you for being young and stupid. That's what being a teenager is all about. I'm sure you'll learn from your mistakes, especially the expensive ones.

To the seller, I sympathize with you for seeing your baby destroyed, but get over it. You sold the car to a kid for as much money as you could get, so you shouldn't care what happens to it. Please share your true thoughts with us as he drove off leaving you with a wad of cash. We should be glad he didn't drift into a wall and kill himself.

d4vech3n
05-03-2005, 12:25 PM
This is why I don't beleive in buying built cars unless you have a really thorough understanding of the car inside and out.

I don't think this has anything to do with age, he could have the same story if he were 27 considering how ignorant of 240s he is (if whatever you guys cited was true). I bought my s14 when I was 16 and put about 10,xxx miles on it within the year I had it and it hasn't been wrecked or damaged. Whatever happend to that crowd that always told kids getting their first car to 'buy it stock/ do your own mods' and to learn to drive with little power before going up.

jjwilks240
05-03-2005, 01:16 PM
hahah, when he listed everything wrong with the aesthetics of the car all i could think about was my car

ahha

Ian
05-03-2005, 07:37 PM
yeah, half of what he listed was wrong were things that i did on purpose

Rusker
05-04-2005, 11:16 AM

Why does that fucking matter what someone does with the car? It's not a fucking baby, it's a CAR! Yeah, it sucks but thats life. If I couldn't stand to watch someone trash my car, I would take the time and part it out.

Has to be the dumbest shit I've read in awhile... :duh:

My advise for the thread starter, is learn how to work on your own car. It seems like you still have a lot to learn, and what a better time to do it then now. Admit your mistakes and learn from it.... if your not a dick about it I'm sure everyone will help you out regardless. No need to get this thread locked.

Rusker
05-04-2005, 11:24 AM
To the seller, I sympathize with you for seeing your baby destroyed, but get over it. You sold the car to a kid for as much money as you could get, so you shouldn't care what happens to it. Please share your true thoughts with us as he drove off leaving you with a wad of cash. We should be glad he didn't drift into a wall and kill himself.

exactly...

If you still care about what happens to the car, just offer the best advise you can and move on.

sepulchral
05-04-2005, 06:44 PM
i run my t25 to 20lbs, whats wrong with that?

Ian
05-04-2005, 07:48 PM
possibly you mistyped it and it's a GT25xx?