PDA

View Full Version : College is fo sukas!

jononioo
04-20-2005, 01:44 PM
What are some good college majors that deal with cars? I want to pic a college major that will allow me to get a job test driving cars or maybe even tuning. And i don't mean like a mechanic in bum fuck egypt. I am looking for a major that will open the door for me to get a decently paying job dealing with some aspect of cars (managment, buisness...ETC)! Can anyone provide any insight?

420sx
04-20-2005, 01:49 PM
i know this one.... car salesman!

S14DB
04-20-2005, 01:49 PM
This is off-topic...

MEisGQ
04-20-2005, 02:04 PM
smart guy... answered your own question.... business or management.... OR~if u really wanna get creative... business management. If u wanna tune cars, dont go to college and waste admissions space... driving cars? go to traffic school and get your drivers license at the DMV. :wiggle:

matlock
04-20-2005, 04:41 PM
I know quite a few people that are going to UTI to become Certified and things like that....just something to keep in mind.

s14turbosilvia
04-20-2005, 04:58 PM
are you talking about like engineering? sales? repair? theres many aspects to a degree in automotive technologies.

morpheus8486
04-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Right now I'm attending NDSU and will be majoring in mechanical engineering. That's the plan so far anyway. I'm hoping to start a career in the automotive industry too, hopefully in the aftermarket aspect of it, but we'll see what happens.

prophet_19
04-20-2005, 05:51 PM
"Western Career College You can do it!" No wait maybe try Wyotech.... well maybe thats too hot rodish.

mjjstang
04-20-2005, 06:01 PM
y not go for engineering and come up here to michigan and have a lavish job designing shit and testing it. or that invisible job in the sky just out of reach which is the one that you are talking about, test driving like a trained chimpanze could do, and then get paid tons and tons of money for it, not gonna happen, GL though, u pretty much have to know peopleto get those jobs.

Chernobyl
04-20-2005, 07:45 PM
if you're not an idiot, you can try mechanical engineering. Then get into automotive design. That is, if you don't mind living in crappy Detroit or BFE. Oh wait, you're from Alabama? nevermind, you'll be used to it..

FastBack 240
04-20-2005, 08:20 PM
^ Detroit is a shit hole but if you work for the 3 major companies here chances are you wont be working in slums. GM is downtown river front in The Rennassaince (s/p) Center which is very nice, Daimler Chrysler is in Auburn Hills which is a very nice area and is a brand new facility. Ford is in Detroit as well but not the shit hole area. In south eastern Michigan there is also many different facilities that deal with the automotive industries so automotive jobs are plentiful in the future. Around Detroits suburbs is the 3rd wealthiest county in the United States which is Oakland County. So yea I guess it is crappy.

RiversideS13
04-20-2005, 10:55 PM
I checked toyota web site for job opening and most of them are require BA or BS from Mechanical engineering or something similar. check it out

SilviaNinja240
04-20-2005, 11:00 PM
a pro racer career?

I'd say buy a miata, win a buncha AutoX events, get sponsored, be somewhat locally famous, then retire at 25.
But I wouldn't quit my day job.

mixxamike
04-21-2005, 02:34 AM
I'm an industrial design major...there are many routes you can take with this type of educatioin. One could be the automotive industry. You'll be working closely with cars, and actually dictating their shape and aesthetic qualities, but you wont be test driving them. I'm pretty sure they find professional drivers to do that.

davenavarro1
04-21-2005, 06:23 PM
im in mechanical engineering field. if your interested in research and development, or in manufacturing of automotive parts then this for you. it pays ok but the its a hard ladder to climb.

p.s. must be good at math, physics and in CAD programs (not for retards).

morpheus8486
04-21-2005, 11:18 PM
"Western Career College You can do it!" No wait maybe try Wyotech.... well maybe thats too hot rodish.

Wyotech is shit from what I've heard. A couple of buddies from high school went there and said it was worthless and basically a review of what we learned in our high school auto-body class.

The ROMAN
04-22-2005, 12:10 AM
a pro racer career?

I'd say buy a miata, win a buncha AutoX events, get sponsored, be somewhat locally famous, then retire at 25.
But I wouldn't quit my day job.
Mini Cooper. They KiLLLLLL at auto-x, like showing up with a stock one which runs in H-stock or whatever, and gets the fastest time of the day. I gotta test drive one.

Oh and college is just a way to delay growing up and spent more time doing nothing after high school. Thats why I'm going for my Ph.D in Liberal.

mjjstang
04-22-2005, 06:24 AM
if you're not an idiot, you can try mechanical engineering. Then get into automotive design. That is, if you don't mind living in crappy Detroit or BFE. Oh wait, you're from Alabama? nevermind, you'll be used to it..

I am 5 miles from the DCX NA headquarters and am surrounded by multimillion dollar homes, you dont have to live in "crappy detroit", However I have always wanted to wax skies, wanna trade. J/k ;)

420sx
04-22-2005, 07:06 AM
forevastudents unite!

nlzmo400r
04-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Mini Cooper. They KiLLLLLL at auto-x, like showing up with a stock one which runs in H-stock or whatever, and gets the fastest time of the day. I gotta test drive one.

Oh and college is just a way to delay growing up and spent more time doing nothing after high school. Thats why I'm going for my Ph.D in Liberal.

you either must have shumacher behind the wheel of that mini, or the rest of your drivers are shits. We've got a stock cooperS that runs on khumoMXs down here (225/40/17) and he's quick, but not FASTEST raw time quick. He may pax well, thats because Hstock kicks ass in pax though.

theicecreamdan
04-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm takin some automotive tech classes here at my community college, and I know a bunch of guys that are good technicians working at dealers making $80k-$100k a year, but that takes about 5 years to be getting into that range.

The ROMAN
04-22-2005, 06:15 PM
you either must have shumacher behind the wheel of that mini, or the rest of your drivers are shits. We've got a stock cooperS that runs on khumoMXs down here (225/40/17) and he's quick, but not FASTEST raw time quick. He may pax well, thats because Hstock kicks ass in pax though.
Heh maybe we are shitty, but I've seen some funny stuff. Last event I went to a guy who I guess had been there for awhile ran a faster time than a C5 corvette...and he was driving a ford festiva. Course the guy in the vette kinda sucked but it's still funny.

AlligatorBling
04-22-2005, 08:44 PM
EASY! open a chop shop!!!

goodjuan
04-23-2005, 12:16 AM
If you feel like moving down to LA (more car jobs here anyway so you'll prolly find your way downhere regardless.)

At Citrus College in Glendora there is a program called the High Performance Institute and it's put together in cooperation with SEMA. The great thing about it is that during the classes they put emphasis on preparing to sell yourself/present yourself in a professional manner to the aftermarket industry. Some students even get to intern at the SEMA show in Las Vegas. Also, it's still a community college so you can take classes in preparation for transfering to a university.
http://www.citrus.cc.ca.us/counsel/certificates/autotech_hiperform.pdf
Here's the class list for the certificate program.

You should also check out this (http://www.citrus.cc.ca.us/as/curriculum/outlines/pdf/AUTO.291.pdf) It's a course outline for one of the classes. You can find the rest here: http://www.citrus.cc.ca.us/as/curriculum/outlines/auto.htm

Anyway email the head of the program Dennis Korn for more info, he's a cool guy.

Good Luck man!! I know how it feels being in college not finding anything that's really sparking your interest.

p.s. myself, i'll be moving there this summer to start the program.

goodjuan
04-24-2005, 07:00 PM
aye!! insight!! right hurr