PDA

View Full Version : what standalone do you like better

luisgonz
04-09-2005, 12:12 AM
What standalone do you like better. I was talking to a friend on which standalone ecu is best? I have a apexi d-jetro and and software to tune it so its good for me.There has been alot of other computers out there that have came out but would like to know what you guys are running.LIKE HKS,APEXI,MAD,AEM and others.please make into poll thanks dude who did it thanks alot

S14DB
04-09-2005, 12:30 AM
I would normaly lock this for you having no skill what so ever. But, since I have some interest in this subject I'll help your inept ass out.

Steeles
04-09-2005, 01:35 AM
I'm using the microtech LT8s well I will be when the engines rebuilt. I only got to play with it for a couple of weeks. came with base map interface is easy to use and really on the cheap side. MAP sensor internally is good to 25psi anything after that you need their 3bar kit (another 50 bucks I think) Uses all your stock sensor and such. you make your own harness. My F3 (big white main plug behind the ECU) has 1 wire coming out of it now. yours has like 43. everythings color coded and the instructions are easily understood. Great system I love it. can't wait till the engines running again to finish programing it :)

P.S. I am Running a 1996 S13 Blacktop SR20DET in a 95 240

s14srpilot
04-22-2005, 11:28 AM
I would normaly lock this for you having no skill what so ever. But, since I have some interest in this subject I'll help your inept ass out.

Even with all your "mad skills" you FORGOT to put HKS in the poll. No need to be an ass just because someone doesn't know how to do a poll.

the head
04-22-2005, 12:01 PM
well brilliance YOU forgot to tell him he left out the Tomei Rytec so put away the dick stick cuz you didnt win the measure off

I use the haltech E6X it is fairly easy to wire and if purchased from the right people can be done with sensors for a really good price the new Halwin.x software is leaps and bounds over their E6K DOS based software in terms of navigation and information displays now that I got my serial to USB interface cable i can even use my new laptop.

Steeles
04-22-2005, 12:05 PM
My question is how many of the people that are touting the AEM as gods gift to the car actually HAVE one and tuned it themselves?

s14srpilot
04-22-2005, 02:22 PM
well brilliance YOU forgot to tell him he left out the Tomei Rytec so put away the dick stick cuz you didnt win the measure off

I use the haltech E6X it is fairly easy to wire and if purchased from the right people can be done with sensors for a really good price the new Halwin.x software is leaps and bounds over their E6K DOS based software in terms of navigation and information displays now that I got my serial to USB interface cable i can even use my new laptop.

Hey dumbass I wasn't talking to you. I didn't forget, I just don't give a fuck about your tomei shit. If you want it in the poll say something. I was just telling him not to be an ass just because some people here don't know how to make a poll.

Better yet, I'll just step up and be nice since people here just love to be assholes. Check the FAQ next time but here's how to make a poll:

To create a poll when you post a new thread, simply click the 'Yes! post a poll' checkbox at the bottom of the page, and set the number of possible responses you want to include.

When you click the submit button, you will be taken to the poll creation page, where you can specify the question and the list of responses you want to include.

You may also want to specify a time limit for the poll, so that (for example) it only stays open for voting for a week.

luisgonz
04-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info......Not all zilvianlians are a-holes

S14DB
04-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Even with all your "mad skills" you FORGOT to put HKS in the poll. No need to be an ass just because someone doesn't know how to do a poll.
Um, yes I do need to be an ass for someone screwing something up. The normal thing to do is lock the thread. I was interested in what people used. So, I helped the guy out w/ some joking.

I serched for what Standalones people had metioned using. I could add HKS but I won't.

s14srpilot
04-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Um, yes I do need to be an ass for someone screwing something up. The normal thing to do is lock the thread. I was interested in what people used. So, I helped the guy out w/ some joking.

I serched for what Standalones people had metioned using. I could add HKS but I won't.

Wow, we have a narrow minded poll here on zilvia simply because because a moderator is biased and narrow minded. What a surprise. I'm sure that will be helpful to the thread starter in his quest for enough information to make an educated decision.

luisgonz
04-22-2005, 11:42 PM
hey s14srpilot do you live in venice area and work at kragen

s14srpilot
04-22-2005, 11:52 PM
No sir I do not work at Kragen.

jdm538
04-23-2005, 06:29 PM
hello everybody s14srpilot has a point. but iam a poser and drive a ka, so what i say doesnt really matter.

Angel
04-25-2005, 10:45 AM
My question is how many of the people that are touting the AEM as gods gift to the car actually HAVE one and tuned it themselves?

Not to say that it's god's gift.... but I have had the AEM on my personal car ( not currently ) and have tuned dozens of them, many of which are still daily driving on the original tune 2+ years later. Very flexible and capable system. It was not without it's teething problems, especially early on when it was first introduced but most of the issues were addressed in subsequent firmware revisions. It's packed with features, can be adapted to do even more and uses the stock wiring harness.

I have also used some of the earlier haltech versions ( up to e6k ), a few pfc's, electromotive tech2 and 3, autronic, wolf, some of the pseudo standalones, piggy backs of all types and I am sure some stuff that I am forgetting..... and in my opinion the AEM is probably the most well rounded and definitely my favorite.

But of course any standalone at best is only as good as the tuner ( and their familiarity with it ) and goes down from there if it is buggy and suffers from reliablity issues. Also, some systems hold advantages over others once specific vehicle fitments are factored in.

IngS14
08-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Apexi Power FC = cheap :naughtyd:
installation = plug and play :keke:
tunning = street or dyno :2f2f:
not to be different but most of us using PFC easy to get help ! :ughug:

Breezy
08-22-2005, 05:19 PM
way to revive a four month old thread

jdmhunter
08-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Each of those Engine Management Systems are good for a specific use.

Lets say Motec, its the EMS that we use all the time on full race setups and for customers who want to spend the money on a proven system.

AEM EMS, said to be the easiest to work with but in many cases, it hasnt been the best EMS to use in our case. Had alot of problems but im sure for basic setups, its good enough.

Power FC: perfect for the avg guy who wants to tune his own car. Theres alot of people using this in the scene so as long as everyone shares information then you're cool. Most tuners dont know how to use this though since its not a widely used system for many cars.

SDS: i think kinda getting outdated. theres better ones to choose from.

Microtech: Proven, but still not a widely used system unless you are in a certain are of the country where this system is popular with local tuners.

anyotherone
08-25-2005, 09:31 AM
I can only comment on AEM, Motec, and Power FC.

I'm pretty much just going to agree with jdmhunter on those three.

AEM- I've spent more time with AEM, but I'm not going to say that it's "God's gift to the car", but it's a pretty decent system, that imo is just getting better.

Power FC - Really cool when used with the commander. I have a friend that uses one on his RX-7 and it was a breeze to tune.

mixedwell
08-25-2005, 11:40 AM
uh... how about VAFC? :D

im voting Apexi in because they are very nice poeple. but i really think HKS FCON V is the shit. the only downside? it cost way too fucking much to do anything with it.

-;)

yumm
09-15-2005, 10:10 AM
aem is where its at

.::SR20_240::.
10-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Apexi for me.

go240
11-05-2005, 01:34 PM
how many of you guys with pfc's have wideband dataloggers?

infinitexsound
11-05-2005, 03:04 PM
none of them, AUTRONIC

BigVinnie
11-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Standalones are out dated and overly expensive......
Mega Biki (daughterboard) for $300...... Allows the use of all stock OEM sensors, it is a retunable daughter board, plug and play equipment, and it is cheaper than the AEM EMS by almost $1000 in retail value.
There is even the biki forums that gives away free tunes, and gives tricks to tuning the BIKI. IMHO it is the most relative solution for tuning at an inexpensive price........
The biki daughter boards work for almost every nissan, accept the 8bit boards used on OBD (NO DAUGHTER BOARDS DUHHHHH). But emulators are cheap for the older models anyway.
I always hated doing wire work on most of those standalones that you mentioned.......

So as you can tell I didn't vote on this poll.....LOL