PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried KTS AND SilkRoad?

nlzmo400r
04-05-2005, 05:35 AM
I'm in the market for coilovers again,and am looking at both KTS and SilkRoad. The way my car is lowered now, the spring would have to be dropped in the rear to reach the height id like it to sit at (reducing shock travel), my friends Megans' are the same way (i'm on 16"wheels by the way, and am not 'slammed' or anyhting). So im looking for new coilovers, and would like something that would go lower in the rear. I have a few friends with KTS's, and I'm looking at them as well,seems really good for the price. Also, for about 3oo more, I like the silk road RM8's, but have never ridden on them. I hear they have more camber adjustment than most other coilovers. And they're 8way adjustable, and inverted shock design (as wel as the KTS). But are they really worth another $300? Anyone tried em? lemme know, i always hear people LOVING silk road, but it seems almost no one has em. And what about replacement schocks from silk road, would I have a long 'japan shipping' wait?

KiDyNomiTe
04-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I have them (silk roads), and they go low as hell. I tucked 15s on 205/50s and still had some room to go.

Pro DDs go even lower.

nlzmo400r
04-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Well thats good to hear. When i lowered my d2s (and my friends megans, and darnell's jicflta2s) we had to drop the rear spring to make it sit low enough. My only main 'concern' is that the silk roads are about 300 more than the KTS, thats a lot of money to spend without knowing the benefits. How long have you had your silks, and have you tried anything else?

lilredstiffy
04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Well thats good to hear. When i lowered my d2s (and my friends megans, and darnell's jicflta2s) we had to drop the rear spring to make it sit low enough.

I'd say the flta2's go plenty low, my current ride height is without dropping the rear perch and it tucks 1/3 of the tire (225/40/18s). I did have the perch dropped about 1/2 an inch but I haven't made clearance to drive hard at that ride height yet.

I don't think the kts go as low as the silkroad/jic, but its low enough.

nlzmo400r
04-05-2005, 01:22 PM
well then what would you suggest darnell? Im pretty much between KTS and SilkRoad, any opinions? Ive never ridden/driven on teh silkroads, so i dunno if its worth the extra $$

Eternal_240Sx
04-05-2005, 02:28 PM
I have ridden in silkroads and i have the KTS on my s14. I think the sild roads have a much better ride than my KTS's. Going over bumps is not as harsh. I was thinking about getting the silk roads too but you cant really beat $550 for 4 new shocks. And you dont have to send your blown ones in either so there is no down time. But thats just me.

JDMark
04-05-2005, 05:02 PM
heres with KTS pretty much maxed out lowness.
front fender little less then 24" (center) from ground with 205/60s (bleh) and the rear is about the same.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Blimit/MVC-001F.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Blimit/MVC-004F.jpg

i fully lowered it about a month ago
maybe less then 1/2" lower now.
been beating the crap out of my lip, exhaust, frame rails ever since :Ownedd:
im lovin the coils tho, great quality, whichever you go with you wont be disappointed. havent done any events with them yet (next month) but drifting on them is a blast

lilredstiffy
04-05-2005, 09:05 PM
If you can afford silkroad without breaking the bank, go for them. If not, the KTS are amazing for the bucks.

nlzmo400r
04-05-2005, 09:20 PM
I have ridden in silkroads and i have the KTS on my s14. I think the sild roads have a much better ride than my KTS's. Going over bumps is not as harsh. I was thinking about getting the silk roads too but you cant really beat $550 for 4 new shocks. And you dont have to send your blown ones in either so there is no down time. But thats just me.

this is another one of my concerns. What is the rebuild deal with the Silks? The only place ive really looked at them was dgtrials.com, and they had no information about blown shocks there

KiDyNomiTe
04-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Well thats good to hear. When i lowered my d2s (and my friends megans, and darnell's jicflta2s) we had to drop the rear spring to make it sit low enough. My only main 'concern' is that the silk roads are about 300 more than the KTS, thats a lot of money to spend without knowing the benefits. How long have you had your silks, and have you tried anything else?
I have driven a car with HEs quite a few times, driven on HRs, and been in a car with GP Sports non adjustables, KTS, and Pro DD

Best to worst Pro-DD, Silk Roads, HEs, KTS (not enough of a ride to tell if they are better than HEs, and it was on pretty soft), GP Sports (just under HEs b/c of no adjustability), HRs.

Silk Roads have very nice dampening, on full soft they are smoother than HEs and are quite comfortable for coilovers sake, but once you reach the 3-4 range they are as stiff as HEs on full stiff.

98sr20ve
04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Quality of the Silkroads is very good. They have smooth dampening and are very well made. I love the camber adjustment in two places as well. Lets you maximize/minimize tire to strut clearance to fit your tires better.

wutangben
04-07-2005, 11:34 AM
My KTS's come in today (within the hour) the suspense is killing me!

sorry, had to post...

MakotoS13
04-07-2005, 02:20 PM
400 more to go and i get SPL coilovers and RUCA. woot!

ghostuss
04-07-2005, 02:50 PM
running all silkroad stuff at the rear suspension. silkroad Toe adjuster, RUCA and coilovers. I love how my car handles. Silkroads are really smooth on the street. Can't even tell it is aftermarket suspension until you hit the big bumps.

yudalicious
04-07-2005, 05:28 PM
but what happens say if you hit a ditch and you need rebuilding of one of the coilovers? j/w.

2JZGTE
04-13-2005, 07:40 AM
nlzmo400r- All I can say is the silk road are excellent coilovers, and if you are wanting to go low, they are some of the lowest. I had to raise mine back up and adjust because I underestimated them. They will tuck for sure if that's what you want. Good luck with your choices.

KiDyNomiTe
04-13-2005, 08:09 AM
but what happens say if you hit a ditch and you need rebuilding of one of the coilovers? j/w.
If its that big of a ditch you should have moved out of the way cuz you would have been able to see it. But if you break them some way then pretty much out of luck for the time being. Not sure if Silk Road USA will be doing in the US rebuilding anytime soon.

DRFT180
04-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Rob have you looked at the GP Sports GR6 coilovers? They're about the same price as the Silkroad coilovers and they go very low. http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=76263

Bradley