PDA

View Full Version : Keep HOUSE MUSIC alive!

Twinkie
03-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi all. Before i was even into cars, i was into raves and house music. I used to be a TOTAL house head. Got into my first expensive hobby - Djing. And then, i got into something even more expensive - Cars. so for a while i was into cars, and i kinda cooled down with the rave/party/electronica scene until my bro who constantly goes clubbing in the city, recently brought me along and i went to some pretty cool clubs in frisco.

I know (from what ive been observing) that the rave scene and house music is slowly dying in the south bay. Its sad but i wanna start a revolution: keeping house music alive and keepin the music groovin'.

Im not talking about the corny house music you hear on Wild 94.9 or them mainstream shit...im tlaking about underground shit...im tlaking about Naked Music, Deep House, Funky/Disco House, Progressive/Tech House, Techno/Detroit Techno - Carl Cox, Sasha & Digweed, Steve Lawler, Mark Farina, Miguel Migs...If you are familiar with this stuff - your in the right thread.

SOO...Lately, Ive been getting back into spinning again and now even looking for gigs at clubs and events and what not.

Some of you might be feelin what im tryin to express, some of you prolly dont know what the hell im tlaking about and some of you probably dont give a fuck...but seriously, rave veterans/house head veterans and current House music enthusiast...please! please please keep house music alive.

So i guess you can say this is an official thread for you guys who are into Electronica and House music like me. I dont see many people into the genre anymore and out of curiosity, im wondering how many zilvia enthusiasts are [still] into it.

If you appreciate the music and got something to say about the scene, please post! And itll be itneresting to post some upcoming events. :bigok:

tsunami0ne
03-26-2005, 07:53 PM
the latest CDs I *cough* downloaded/previewed *cough* was the Renaissance Therapy Sessions CD with Luke Chable, GU27 and the Y4k with Phil K. Does that count? I haven't been keeping up with music lately since it hasn't been sounding as good as it did back in 1999.

arsenals14zenki
03-26-2005, 08:29 PM
im not really into house..i know about some of those SF DJ's and dont think theyre all that great...only kinda house i like is progressive stuff...but im mostly listening to some intelligent D&B or trance:P

AlligatorBling
03-26-2005, 08:42 PM
the chemical bros.... block rockin beats = the best bass line ever

jOeHaCk98
03-26-2005, 08:47 PM
let house die. id rather bump my exhaust note, you should too.. :)

Twinkie
03-26-2005, 08:53 PM
You guys gotta check out steve lawler - Global Underground NUBREED and Global Underground Lights out 1. Those CD's are 2 of my favourite CD's on my list. its all about Tribal house...

and Naked Music! Miguel Mig's Naked Music/Nude Essentials/Nude Dimensions - The greatest Deep house ever...here are some samples -

http://www.naked-music.com/

http://www.astralwerks.com/naked/

You guys are checking out the wrong Dj's/CD's and *cough* Mp3's *cough*. If you gusy get a chance, check out or *cough* download *cough* those two albums that i requested up top. Ive got an ENDLESS list of awesome stuff...too long to list...

AlligatorBling
03-26-2005, 08:56 PM
you sound like a fan of music.... check out tribal chants and true tribal music, you will see the evolution of beat music, house, electronic techno ect

Twinkie
03-26-2005, 09:11 PM
let house die. id rather bump my exhaust note, you should too.. :)

...ok...that was very necissisary. why dont you take your car and exhaust and drive off a cliff...id like to hear the note of your screaming when your car blows up.

of course the roots of all music came from tribal music...but id prefer not to listen to them on a daily basis

jOeHaCk98
03-26-2005, 09:22 PM
First of all, it's "necessary." And if my car blew up after driving off a cliff, it would be because of impact, then how would you be able to hear me scream?

Um, I heard adam and eve bumped snoop dogg, fo' shizzle necissississsarizzle.

anthony240
03-26-2005, 09:35 PM
wild 949 sucks, except for the doghouse.

when i go to the by I switch to 92.7. most of their music is dance/house/remix, but they also play 50cent crap and other hip pop shit that's out there being played out.

for now i'm listening to the old school funk, until i find something worth listening too, today's music sucks

MakotoS13
03-26-2005, 09:37 PM
raves suck more than anything ever aside from disco. in fact, raves were the new disco.

AlligatorBling
03-26-2005, 09:42 PM
of course the roots of all music came from tribal music...but id prefer not to listen to them on a daily basis

you can learn to be a good drummer from listening to it

:edit:
feel the music and it helps more than listening

Johny5
03-26-2005, 09:55 PM
makoto's 150000000% right, "raves" suck choad. don't support the party scene. support your local dj's. our BEST venues were in a room that could fit 150 people max, uk 2-step sundays at homebar, uk junglists at trees so often. man those parties were the shit. then there's raves like "massive" or how about Massive 2-5? hahahahahahahah fuck all that. KANDY UP KIDZZZZZZ.

wootwoot
03-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey thats kinda funny I almost started a thread the exact opposite of this. Heh, go figure =)

Twinkie
03-26-2005, 11:05 PM
I was never supporting raves. I was supporting HOUSE music...theres a difference. read closer.

S14DB
03-26-2005, 11:18 PM
I like my Sirius channels.

Twinkie
03-26-2005, 11:44 PM
makoto's 150000000% right, "raves" suck choad. don't support the party scene. support your local dj's. our BEST venues were in a room that could fit 150 people max, uk 2-step sundays at homebar, uk junglists at trees so often. man those parties were the shit. then there's raves like "massive" or how about Massive 2-5? hahahahahahahah fuck all that. KANDY UP KIDZZZZZZ.

your contradicting yourself..."dont support the party scene. support your local DJ's" ????....OKAY.... if there were no parties...djs would be out of business.

lemme rephrase myself - I was never supporting raves. I was supporting HOUSE music...theres a difference. read closer.

Theres a difference between house music and trance. Its funny how people get the wrong impressions of electronica. They automatically think Electronica = Raves or House music = Raves...thats just stupid. nothing but utter closed minded fools. i dotn know how people can live their life through stereotypes. Im pretty sure that out of everyone who thinks raves suck/ raves are gay/ blah blah blah have never even been to a true rave.

almost %100 of the most famous Electronica DJ's around the world came out to be famous by performing at these so called - raves - underground raves.. Someones gotta start from scratch right? then they slowly became more famous and got gigs at clubs and thats where they launch their fame. In the first place, it (raves) was for people who wanted to dance to some good music when the music wasnt accepted in public yet because most clubs wanted them top 40 shit. Especially after teh 'disco sucks' era. And it was also a place for upcoming Disc-jockeys to express the music. Then it became a trend and house music branched off to techno and then a new type of music spawned from the genre known as trance. Then KANDI KIDS come in and made the place all ghey. started dropping E and dying everywhere and then there was shit like happy hardcore and all this wierd shit that ruined everything.

then from these underground raves went all public and became massives. then stupid people like most of you get the wrong impressions of "raves" and electronic music.

its jsut like people get the wrong impressions of us guys loving our nissans and thinking we are "rice". and thinking that fixing up japanese cars are "rice". or "4 inch exhaust and a loud japanese car = "rice". or wing = "rice". and guys who fix up their cars = "asshole rice boys" - but that last one is pretty true about most of you guys. be a lil more open minded and dont fall into the category of stupidity.

jOeHaCk98
03-27-2005, 12:04 AM
.....i was into ravess and house music........

I guess we were wrong when we thought you were a rave supporter. I wonder why we under the "wrong impression." :ghey:

S14DB
03-27-2005, 12:10 AM
almost %100 of the most famous Electronica DJ's are from europe where there an't ghey raves. Raves are an american invention as another excuse to do drugs.

This has made me realize that I cringe the same way when someone asks me if I have a SR20 now as I did when people ask if I went to raves.

Twinkie
03-27-2005, 12:16 AM
I love you guys.. can't we all get along?

--edited by chimp

jOeHaCk98
03-27-2005, 12:30 AM
Did I say anything about you trying to "keep raves alive?" No. I just quoted you because you claimed to have never supported raves. Don't be mad because everyone else is bashing on your little highschool boy phase. How childish and low are you to bring my mom into this? But if you would like to continue, come to www.akakickbox.com : 1830 Hillsdale Ave. San Jose, CA 95124 and make sure to tell the front desk you are the guy that was making references to "julia's mom"

mixxamike
03-27-2005, 12:54 AM
I hear you Twinkie!!! I've been a dj for 5 years now...started when I was 16, heh. I used to play hard trance, but now i'm much more progressive, even edging on house at times. I'm in the same boat as you. DJ>car but now i'm splitting my time between the two which is very difficult as a college student. But I'm currently taking action around campus and trying to put together a progressive trance/house night, attempting to run the Euro cheese night out of business.

What's your setup? I'm using my original numark tt-100's with a vestax pcv275 (love this mixer). I'm seriously considering buying some pioneer cdj800's though...for the sole purpose of expanding my music collection in a cost efficient manner...ah the joys of pirating!

SR240DET
03-27-2005, 01:39 AM
hey twinkie... :duh: chill out and forget about joehack98...just ignore him.... your just wasting your time......

yeah those so called "raves" in the US is just a stupid excuse to do drugs..... my boy told me when he was in germany.... all they played in the clubs was Electronica... and recently he has been getting me into some house..... post some more artist... :naughtyd:

Johny5
03-27-2005, 02:00 AM
oh yeah duh, no raves in europe? damn funny. everytime i hear live recordings sometimes there's still the whistle crew massive BOOO BOOOO BOOOOOOOOYAKA! i don't care if raves weren't the point of this thread. yada yada you know the underground, you judge my comments yada yada. i spun too blah blah, only i spun funky house and uk 2step. but i guess that means i'm just like any other noob on this thread pointlessly hating. i know nothing about the scene right?

Twinkie
03-27-2005, 04:41 AM
My set up right now is 2 technics 1200m3d/mk2 and just a pioneer djm-300. I have 4 technics at my house right now, and wanted to hook up 3 1200's with my Stanton RM-3 old mixer with 3 channels but that mixer has been raped from being slammed the shit out of from practicing and during my old gigs and all hah. and for speakers, im using my dad's EV's for now.

Ive been wanting the Vestax pvc275! or the Vestax pmc-25. I could save a lil more and get a pioneer DJM-600 but im broke as a joke as of now.

if you wanan get into CD mixing...you should look into the new Technics CD turntables (sl-dz1200). Its better than the Pionneers cdj800 but more expensive...the sl-dz1200 is an actual turntable. it replicates a vinyl turntable and it actually spins!

If you want some good artists here are some artists that I listen to -

-U.S. Dj's-
DJ Dan * (funky / tech house)
Armand Van Helden (funky)
Daft Punk (if you search, theyve got some awesome underground tracks that are so freakin rare)
D:Fuse * (progressive / tech House)
Richie Hawtin [aka - plastic man]* (Techno) << THE master of genuine techno / detroit techno
Bad Boy Bill (funky / chicago house)
Danny Tennaglia * (progressive house, tribal house)
Frankie Bones (techno/ detroit techno)
Miguel Migs* (deep vocal/disco house)

-Euro Dj's-
Steve Lawler* (tribal house)
Sasha (progressive/tech house)
Digweed (progressive house)
Sander Kleinenberg (progressive house)
Der Dritte Raum * (progressive)
Carl Cox * (Techno, funky/tech house)
Anthony Pappa (progressive/tech house)

Youll notice how U.S. DJ's have more of a raw style with bangin bass and crazy mixing/juggling w/ effects (flanging, delays...etc), where as Euro Dj's are more into authentic electronica with good ass bass lines and clean unoticable mixing.

S14DB
03-27-2005, 03:45 PM
:blah: :blah: :blah: I want to be pinked for loosing my cool and threatening peoples lives :blah: :blah: :blah:
Twinkie calm down or GTFO.

Phlip
03-27-2005, 03:51 PM
I am so glad that I have never been to a rave and don't like house music

ThatGuy
03-27-2005, 03:54 PM
^:werd:^ I'm with PHLIP.

mixxamike
03-27-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm familiar with all of those artist save for Raum, Pappa, and Miggs. All great stuff. I would love to get the technics cdj decks but just dont have the cish cash right now.

Johny5
03-27-2005, 08:20 PM
i learned on gemini belts, WHAT WHAT?! haha

infinitexsound
03-27-2005, 11:25 PM
D&B is coool...but im not a big fan, since its always sounds like they took a mario video game song , speed it up, throw in some heavy baselines,a few scratches here and there.. and called it one of top notching beats.... eh

Maeda
03-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Twinkie forget these guys.
I know what you're talking about!
But even with that being said I think that the scene is dead. It's invented itself in lots of other new ways, but it's never going to be what is used to be.
You should look into a few of the newer house movements springing up! I'm finding myself liking house music more then I ever have.

Check out the way Felix Da Housecat is changing things up...
Oh and on your dj list you forgot mark farina god of deep disco house music(and lets not forget mushroom jazz).

I also, just started spinning again due to my roommate asking why I have 2 turntables... (2 Technics MKII's Numark POS House Mixer SPL + Occasionally Pioneer DJM-700 Sampler Effects Awsome SPL)
Personally I spin a lot of deep and disco... if you're into spinning that sort of stuff i'd highly recommend you check out Hed Kandi's Disco Kandi line up of records.

drift freaq
03-28-2005, 01:09 AM
almost %100 of the most famous Electronica DJ's are from europe where there an't ghey raves. Raves are an american invention as another excuse to do drugs.

This has made me realize that I cringe the same way when someone asks me if I have a SR20 now as I did when people ask if I went to raves.
hahhahahhhaha shows you how much you know about any of this stuff. Where you even old enough to go outside at night in 1992? Raves did start in England, House music came from underground warehouse parties in Chicago were the DJ's were spinning high energy Italian dance music and breaking it down with there own drum machines and adding stuff in. They then started going into studio's and producing the stuff. Along came the English who picked up the sound took it back to England and started playing with a stupid little failed bass machine sequencer that was supposed to sound like a real electric bass aka the Roland TB303. All you haters can thank the none other than the Japanese for that because Roland is a huge ass Japanese music equipment manufacturer hahhahahhahha JDM boyeeee!!!
That was the start of Acid House , . AT the same time again the English not the Americans came up with another sound derived from House , hardcore techno not the four on the floor german stuff that would come around the same time but the breakbeat stuff. Yup the took hip hop breaks speed them up a little and wrote some hard ass music around it nothing candy about the shit. At the same time in Detroit ( DJ's Carl Cox , Richie Hawtin, etc...) they were creating Detroit techno a combination of House beats with a very electro combined with Kraftwerk influenced synth lines. All of this started coming to a head around 1988-89 in Europe and the first raves started in England around 1986-87. Around 90-91 the first parties kicked off in the U.S. in Los Angeles , San Francisco , New York and Chicago. Though do not claim that only the best DJ's came from Europe hahahhahha thats a laugh ,Ya Europe put out some big Trance DJ's but The United States has always had some of the biggest names in House DJ's . It reallly kicked in hard in 1992 , San Francisco put the whole thing on the map with parties like Toon Town , Rave called Sharon , The Gathering , Felix, Community , Happy Happy Joy Joy , Funky Techno Tribe , More parties would come . There was no such thing as candy kids and people were mostly adults they also went for the music they left all their social prejudices at the door it did not matter who you were the music brought you together and you had fun. But good things were not last . Promoters bowed out and new ones came in younger ones that promoted to younger crowds . The message about the music got lost because kids started going to use the parties as an excuse to go out and take drugs. Hence the candy raver and the decline of scene at the Same time though in London the Hardcore DJ's got bored. So they took Raga , Dancehall , Reggae and the breakbeats which the sped up even more and chopped up . Jungle / Drum N Bass was born 1992 it did not really start to catch on stateside till 1996-97
Again San Francisco felt it with Phunkatech and the BAss Crew , UFO, Abstract, Noel , Rinse , Flux, In New York you had Soul Slinger and you also had AK1200 , Dieselboy , etc.... Jungle ran hard for several years into the first part of this century and then kind died stateside.
Funny thing about all of this is the rest of the country did not catch on to a lot of this stuff till several years after it hit in Los Angeles , San Francisco , New York , Miami , Detroit, Chicago.
Jungle is now having a new resurgance here in Los Angeles .
Oh and in case any of you are wondering the Name "Dpro" in my sig has nothing to do with drifting and never has its my Music Production name and yes I write and produce Music from Hip hop to Jungle to trip hop to R&B and whatever else the client asks for . have a nice day all and stop bashing Music cars and music go together . IMHO

evilimport
03-28-2005, 02:56 AM
Florida breakbeats own.

Twinkie
03-28-2005, 03:12 PM
THANK YOU drift freaq....its so relieving to see some educated people in this world. - hey by the way, did you read that book "last night a DJ saved my life" ? sounds like you got all that info from there. That book shows where music even started from....its a great book id recommend it to any one.

its also relieving to also see SOME people in zilvia appreciating electrronica. hed kandi - yeah ilike that stuff...its close to naked music. The sound of hed kandi and naked music are really sophisticated stuff...its music to have sex to lol.

But i personally like spinning to deep progressive house and i do most Tribal house - with a lot of drums, bongos, and deep ass bass lines hence - peace division style and a lot of rhythm syndicate records and perfecto records. Ive been following the footsteps of steve lawler, and danny tennaglia for some time now.

Once in a while I like doing some hard techno and tribal techno << that shit...you can go crazy with the mixer! Its hella fun to do all the mixing tricks to techno.

homeade
03-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Twinkie, there's no use crying over the fact "the scene" is dying/dead. Those of us who were in it, know it's dead. If you really want to do something about, you should throw a party yourself. If you really want to blame anybody, blame the assholes who came to parties, took a gillion pills and ODied. Blame, the mainstream media for capitolizing the hell of it and turning a scene that has lasted for the last 25+ years into a "fad". Blame the bouncers and club management who turned a blind-eye to drugs. Blame your congressmen and women for billing legislation like the RAVE Act and the Anti-Crackhouse Statute. Because of them, every good club or party venue got shut down in NoVA/DC area and nationwide. Boo hoo hoo, get over it man. If you really want to do something about, get off your ass, and buy a sequencer, make a record and find a label. That's what I did.

You're going about it the wrong way. You won't find anybody that's going to sympathize with you here. If you like you're favorite DJ's/producers and you want them to stay, buy their albums. The "scene" is growing up and a lot of people are leaving it behind, but some are bringing a much needed sense of maturity and responsibility.

Besides, 99% of house music that's come out after 93 has sucked balls. If you're into hardhouse, check out Venom. :D

If you really want to talk about the subject, take it to a forum like buzzlife.com. You'd get a more supportive audience.

chmercer
03-28-2005, 04:12 PM
-U.S. Dj's-
DJ Dan * (funky / tech house)
Armand Van Helden (funky)
Daft Punk (if you search, theyve got some awesome underground tracks that are so freakin rare)
D:Fuse * (progressive / tech House)
Richie Hawtin [aka - plastic man]* (Techno) << THE master of genuine techno / detroit techno
Bad Boy Bill (funky / chicago house)
Danny Tennaglia * (progressive house, tribal house)
Frankie Bones (techno/ detroit techno)
Miguel Migs* (deep vocal/disco house)

-Euro Dj's-
Steve Lawler* (tribal house)
Sasha (progressive/tech house)
Digweed (progressive house)
Sander Kleinenberg (progressive house)
Der Dritte Raum * (progressive)
Carl Cox * (Techno, funky/tech house)
Anthony Pappa (progressive/tech house)

isnt daft punk french?

S14DB
03-28-2005, 04:19 PM
isnt daft punk french?
Yes they are... :keke:

Chernobyl
03-29-2005, 04:45 PM
^owned. :bowdown:

and....

im tlaking about Naked Music, Deep House, Funky/Disco House, Progressive/Tech House, Techno/Detroit Techno - Carl Cox, Sasha & Digweed, Steve Lawler, Mark Farina, Miguel Migs...If you are familiar with this stuff - your in the right thread.

Guess I'm in the wrong thread. Seeya. :wackit:

mixxamike
03-31-2005, 09:03 PM
well so is richie hawtin...i believe

but what do i know, i spin prog. trance

fliprayzin240sx
04-10-2005, 08:04 PM
D&B is coool...but im not a big fan, since its always sounds like they took a mario video game song , speed it up, throw in some heavy baselines,a few scratches here and there.. and called it one of top notching beats.... eh

Im not much of a house head. Back in the days, there were very few limited house djs i can stand. DJ Dan is one cuz he had a different style of house compared to chicago/nyc house blends. DJ Irene is koo too cuz she mixes alot of shiet now *seems like her album/sound is constantly changing with ever album she drops* Ive always been a hardcore listener. Id say the top 3 DJs ive been listening to lately is Diesel Boy *you gotta get the last CD...it is absolutely amazing and would blow your mind cuz its not a typical diesel boy album* Aprodite *all of his shiet has always been off the hook* and Roni Size's new album is off the chain too.

mixxamike
04-11-2005, 01:31 AM
UPDATE!!! i'm keeping the house alive...

my first club night kicks off this weekend, friday @ 10pm at cafe hookah here at UIUC (we should have won the championship...) I, along with two other djs, am holding down the club for a 6 hour long night of banging house!!! I cannot wait for the night to begin.