PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Buying an FC

matlock
03-24-2005, 10:41 AM
I know this is a 240 forum, I can't seem to find any in my area right now and I miss my coupe, but there is an 88 FC N/A for sale for a decent price. What is anyones experience with these cars? I know a few guys on here have them. I am not very farmiliar with Rotary engines and I have heard mixed reviews about them in general. If you guys could reccomend anything to look for like trouble spots or common problems sports the car has a history of that would be quite helpful. Thank you for any help in advance!

Andrew Bohan
03-24-2005, 10:57 AM
don't get NA when legal turbo is an option. it's just a tad bit more power than a dohc 240 and way less torque.

turbos make torque and torque makes fun

matlock
03-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Thank you thats kinda how I was feeling about it, guess I will just hold out and see if anything else comes my way.

WanganRunner
03-24-2005, 11:25 AM
N/A FC's can be fearsome animals, don't believe otherwise.

Two words: SIDE PORT

I know a guy with an N/A FC convertible that handily whups up on stock Turbo II's.

Besides, the turbos have way more reliability problems than the N/As do. You can get an N/A 13b to rev HIGH. They can be super fun cars.

aznpoopy
03-24-2005, 11:36 AM
FC n/a is a great car.

well treated its pretty reliable. my gf has 168k on the clock and it runs fine. well, everything else is falling apart... but the engine is fine.

its comparable to a s13... similar body style, similar weight, similar power. i think its slightly less in hp and torque. but it revs alot quicker and IMO overall more fun to drive. it gets shitty mileage no matter what, though. maybe 26mpg tops. luckily you use regular gas only.

if its a good buy i wouldn't hold out for a s13.

matlock
03-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Okay maybe I will check it out then, my only concern with turbo cars is the fact that they are just abused more I guess I shouldn't use the term abuse but the engine is worked much harder in most cases that was the only reason I considered the NA, but like I asked are there certain problems that are consistant with these cars (N/As) not turbo IIs because this is an NA. Thanks!

meatish
03-24-2005, 12:23 PM
bla bla
A high power NA rotory gets no gas mileage whatsoever.. you have to port them so much to get power, and by then they dont idle and arent streetable. Well, yeah they idle but it sounds like someone is hitting your car with a bat. (blam! blam! blam!)
And youd be lucky to get anywhere near the torque or gas mileage of a 240.
The advantage? Owning the sexiest car ever built.. but still no chicks will like you.

matlock
03-24-2005, 12:28 PM
I have now just found an 89 S13 FB bone stock 5spd granted it has the SOHC I think that is the route I am going to go and I will probably swap the DOHC since im not super JDM tyte and I don't really need an SR or CA....Yet :)

mistaanime
03-24-2005, 12:29 PM
you have to rebuilt rotary engines....but FC's are great handlin cars..

matlock
03-24-2005, 12:31 PM
First thing the car will get will be Coilovers probably Tanabe, or HKS. Also full exhaust, the exterior will remain stock, I may look into getting some wheels but I don't really want any flash this is going to be a practice car for me to start drifting again, I don't require a lot of power I just want low body roll and good handling. Sorry this post was dumb it is kind of me just thinking out loud.

powerFC
03-24-2005, 12:38 PM
n/a is not best...save up for a series 5 shell and make sure u get TURBO! hehe...although i got a gtu and swapped the TII in...

and there's always this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/a4sport/POWER%20FC/other%20FC/wtf-fc1.jpg

the head
03-24-2005, 12:48 PM
it looks like a transformer

aznpoopy
03-24-2005, 01:05 PM
there was a FC transformer ... his name was "getaway"

the rebuilds are cheap. kevin landers at rotary ressurection does your basic rebuild for $1000. i think its a couple hundred to have it ported as well.

the specs on a n/a rotary aren't that far off a 240sx. 146hp/138ftlbs. edit: actually some are higher... '89 GTU had 160hp/140ftlbs

some people enjoy the rotary idle. officially its "BRAP BRAP BRAP" btw. ;)

EH9
03-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Comment removed.

powerFC
03-24-2005, 01:45 PM
there was a FC transformer ... his name was "getaway"

some people enjoy the rotary idle. officially its "BRAP BRAP BRAP" btw. ;)

LOL i thought the name was "Overheat" u gotta love the sounds of rotary!

yes it's a lot of maintenance so know what you're getting involved in before you go rotary or it will become a project you never finish....

matlock
03-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Well I just got a call from a guy who has a mint AE86 HB so I think I will probably end up going that route and I can possibley have the car tonight. EH9 yeah I used to live in wisconsin and it his hard to find a lot of cars that aren't rusted and when you do find them they are super expensive.

HyperTek
03-24-2005, 04:27 PM
my first car woulda been a 90 GTU, but I got the s13 instead.. still a cool ass car... Id take 1 in a heartbeat. My friend has a all series 5 turbo II which is gutted, and a few bolt ons.. the sounds that car makes, I just nut...

Andrew Bohan
03-24-2005, 04:35 PM
before i got my s13 i was also looking for fc's. if i had driven an fc, i would have stopped looking for an s13. :)

and rotary can mike fire very easily :coold:

ProjectH213
03-24-2005, 04:50 PM
my first car was an 88' tII and i loved it. not to down on the fc3s but i was told and learned that once one thing goes wrong everything fucks up. in my case my altenator over charged my battery and fried my ecu. after looking around for a ecu locally for about a year/year and a half i got one with a rebuilt turbo for $50.... slamming deal cause it was stolen. once i got evreything in and finally got it started it never ran as good as it did when i got it. so after messing with it for a while i gave up and sold it. :bash: now i kick myself in the ass daily. i loved that car for an 88' it was way ahead of its time it came stock with cd, cassette, radio, lsd, all wheel disc, pw, pm, alarm, leather seats...etc.. i was the second owner of it i bought it off of an older couple that bought it brand new. i forget the sticker price that they paid for it but i know it was more then my friends fully loaded 00' intrepid se w/auto stick when he bought it in 00'. i had everything that the dealer gave the original owners when they bought the car. i'll never find a car like that ever. :bash: :bash:

infinitexsound
03-24-2005, 05:33 PM
rotaries are dope but the up keep is like a hollywood breezie.... street port, bridge port its easy as hell.... freind has a TII theyre dope quick little cars to very light... i would like to mess with a rotary engine in the near future... but for now im pretty freakin content with my own money pit now.. i got a pair of those vented side mirrors off a fc if anyone is intrested locally , they are the ones that came stock .... for dirtay cheap pm me if intrested ..

TheTicTac
03-24-2005, 06:13 PM
FC's aren't that light, 2850lb for a s4 Turbo II, 2700 for s4 NA. The lightest FC was the base model in 1986 coming in at 2625. The pig of the family (not counting the converatables which is 3045) is the S5 TII's at 2987.

The only thing I hate about FC's is the DTSS, kinda like hicas.

90rps13
03-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Dude, if it doesn't leak oil(which is rare) then jump on it. How many miles on it? Anything over 100k and you never know when it's about to blow. I've had the pleasure of owning 2 myself (90 fc & 93 fd). I went through 3 motors in 3 years. They're hella fast, easy to get hp out of them, but you got to stay on top of maintaining them. Cause they ain't cheap to fix... If I had the chance (money) to own an FD again though, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it. Do your research first though, she'll be good to you if you treat her well. My 2 pesos.

Juujai
03-24-2005, 06:28 PM
u have to know what you're doing to own one. i think most guys are etter off with 240s its easier to maintain. the seals on 13bs always gets worn and when it gets worn people dont maintain it and thats where most of the problems come from. then theres the idiots that detonate. rx7s are considered light. theyres not really in the same class as 240. theyre more towards the class of supras/300zxs/gtos. so they're pretty light compared to the gang.

after driving one i like the way a piston engine feels more with a super lightweight flywheel/carbon driveshaft over a rotary. i feel it doesnt pick up but thats just what i feel. go test drive it to see if you like it. are you sure you're ready for the "commitment"? lol lots of blood/sweat/tears/money/time and a lot of beers

Ricer240sx
03-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Rotarys are great cars!! there engines are 10X easieer to work on too!! i really like my TII and my N/A was fun while it lasted! i was actualy quite supprised in how fast it was!! felt stronger than my 240's! but then again, i have been driving a 92 Grand am for the past 4 months or so, and this was the first break i had from that POS so im sure my perseption was off lol, ill have to compare when i get my fastback running ;)

o, and for all u haters out there, i did this a while back casue im a nerd! lol
http://ziptied.com/forum/files/brain_dugs_310.jpg

BoroBoroS13
03-24-2005, 10:29 PM
From what I hear, n/a's basicly last forever unlike the turbo. I would go with one if the car was clean and it was a good deal. If you feel you need more power, jdm clips for FC's are cheap as hell.

JDMs13
03-27-2005, 11:46 AM
anybody every try drifting an FC....compared to an s13, it is not nearly as predictable and point and shoot. I think it has something to do with the slower steering rack ratio....I have vids of FC's in Japan absolutely ripping it, so I know the cars are slideable. Just when I gave it a go, it was real tough. I had the rear-stear deleters installed as well, so rule that out as the culprit.

blu808
03-27-2005, 02:37 PM
anybody every try drifting an FC....compared to an s13, it is not nearly as predictable and point and shoot. I think it has something to do with the slower steering rack ratio....I have vids of FC's in Japan absolutely ripping it, so I know the cars are slideable. Just when I gave it a go, it was real tough. I had the rear-stear deleters installed as well, so rule that out as the culprit.

Drifting an fc is fun, they have great load up when your sliding and get on it, the rear loads up and tightens your line.

Also JDMs13: Your problem may have been the setup, FC likes some toe out in the front to quicken steering response.

JDMs13
03-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Yea, I always figured it was my toe, caster, and camber as well. I had read somewhere that FC's are very finicky when It comes to alignment etc...But more than anything, the rack felt to slow, you follow? Id have it sliding one way, clip, and then coming back was always a bitch to catch just right. Id throw the wheel, and sometimes that would be enough to get the line I wanted. But yea, what your saying I totally agree with.

Ricer240sx
03-27-2005, 03:09 PM
yes u are true!! thats y i got me another Fastback ;)

i still gotta get my rear steer eliminators in too :( soon though soon :)

drftwerks
03-28-2005, 12:37 AM
its not the front, it has a passive rear toe, that you can corect w/ rear toe elim bushings.

Var
03-28-2005, 12:42 AM
I know this is a 240 forum, I can't seem to find any in my area right now and I miss my coupe, but there is an 88 FC N/A for sale for a decent price. What is anyones experience with these cars? I know a few guys on here have them. I am not very farmiliar with Rotary engines and I have heard mixed reviews about them in general. If you guys could reccomend anything to look for like trouble spots or common problems sports the car has a history of that would be quite helpful. Thank you for any help in advance!

congrats..you've found the one engine with less torque than a 4-cylinder

blu808
03-28-2005, 02:04 AM
its not the front, it has a passive rear toe, that you can corect w/ rear toe elim bushings.

Giving a toe out on the front will make the car turn in much quicker. thats what we are refering to.

JDMs13: Sounds like too much neg rear camber, and get rid of all the toe in the rear. run 0 deg.

Zemus
03-28-2005, 11:42 AM
My rx7 S5 FC is a lil monster, better than my s13, well minus the suspention and the LSD factor, but besides that, its better.

matlock
03-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Hey Zemus I picked up the Corolla last night it is sick! You need to send me some pictures of the FC

twelvea
03-30-2005, 09:30 AM
had 7 rx7! And have a rx2, daily driver is a 92 240sx. Get the FC you will feel the spirit of a rotary powered car!

matlock
03-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Too late I already got an 86, and the guy I bought the car from bought the FC I was looking at :)

MikeFD3S
03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm teh r0tary master. I've had 4 of them, and I love them all, even the nonturbo FC's. They're a well balanced package and rev high, ride comfortable, handle great, look good. Maintenance isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

You'll probably run into more problems maintaining and restoring a 20 year old AE86, then you would maintaining an S4 or S5 non turbo.

EchoOfSilence
03-30-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm teh r0tary master. I've had 4 of them, and I love them all, even the nonturbo FC's. They're a well balanced package and rev high, ride comfortable, handle great, look good. Maintenance isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

You'll probably run into more problems maintaining and restoring a 20 year old AE86, then you would maintaining an S4 or S5 non turbo.
you haven't had an fb.

powerFC
03-31-2005, 09:31 AM
Maintenance isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

it's just something the rotary heads say to scare away the noobs who are used to modding a car w/ pistons... ;)