View Full Version : PSP Rocks!!!

S14DB
03-24-2005, 06:17 AM
I love my new friend:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/OffTopic/PSP/PSPbox.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/OffTopic/PSP/PSPinside.jpg

sw20>>s14
03-24-2005, 07:03 AM
you actually lined up at 12?...im actually up at 6? meh...might get one later on

S14DB
03-24-2005, 07:20 AM
They are not suposed to be sold until 8am... But, we know how that works.

nocomedown
03-24-2005, 09:46 AM
can you play regular PS2 games on it? how do these things work?

ZK
03-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Why would you pay $250 for that thing?

Games are cool maybe but I can't see the point of watching movies on that tiny screen. :eek3:

Agent_S13
03-24-2005, 10:15 AM
They are not suposed to be sold until 8am... But, we know how that works.

Really? I know people lined up at the Metreon Sony Store a day before to buy one. They opened up the doors at midnight (this morning, Thursday) and people got their PSP's.

I even got an e-mail from Sony telling me about how they'd sell PSP's at that time and I'd only have to "get in line". I think that if Sony's selling it early, every other retailer would be too.

There was even a rumor that people who pre-ordered w/ Circuit City were able to pick theirs up on Tuesday. Some story leaked out that CC was sending out e-mails to people who pre-ordered that their item was in stock and that you could come in and pick it up. Unfortunately, word spread supposedly and CC had to remove the PSP from their product webpage due to last minute orders and the like. Urban legend or not, its not like its the first time a retailer has done that *cough*Halo2*cough*.

As for the format, they use small UMD discs. Would they be similar in size to the Gamecube discs? Considering that Sony refers to these as "21st Century Walkmans" I hope it definitely lives up to the hype. I also hope that the problems that plagued the Japanese PSP launch don't repeat themselves here --- like short battery life, loose buttons/analog, and hopefully they expand the multimedia usage more.

I'm not much for handhelds, but I hope that those who have 'em, enjoy 'em.

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe

chrispy
03-24-2005, 10:35 AM
http://www.wtfhost.com/userfiles/chrispy/PSPen0r/PSPen0r.jpg
http://www.wtfhost.com/userfiles/chrispy/PSPen0r/PSPen0rgames.jpg
:love:

S14DB
03-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Uses the UMD which is the same size as a mini disc for games and movies.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/OffTopic/PSP/UMDfront.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/OffTopic/PSP/UMDback.jpg
You can put your own movies/mp3's/atrac3's/pictures on a memory stick pro and watch/listen to them on the PSP. They will be selling Movies on UMD. Spiderman2 comes with the Value pack and the realases are next month with the next wave of games.

Untill you hold one in your hand and see the resolution I wouldn't comment. It is better than even I expected.

tsunami0ne
03-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I'm willing to bet that in the future, someone will get the PSP to run SNES, GBA, and Genesis emulators.....
and on that day, I'll get in line to buy one.

Drift101
03-24-2005, 11:17 AM
^^^^ Hell yes indeed! all praise the emulatorz!!!

boosteds13
03-24-2005, 11:43 AM
^^^^ Hell yes indeed! all praise the emulatorz!!!

That's why I love my Xbox... I have literally THOUSANDS of old N64, NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo-Geo, Gameboy, Atari and MAME games on it.

I can't see buying movies for the PSP though. Undoubtedly they will be the same price, if not more than DVDs. Seeing as this is a multimedia platform, who's to say you can't rip your own DVDs into a divx format or the like and copy them onto one of the 1GB memory sticks?

S14DB
03-24-2005, 11:50 AM
That's why I love my Xbox... I have literally THOUSANDS of old N64, NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo-Geo, Gameboy, Atari and MAME games on it.

I can't see buying movies for the PSP though. Undoubtedly they will be the same price, if not more than DVDs. Seeing as this is a multimedia platform, who's to say you can't rip your own DVDs into a divx format or the like and copy them onto one of the 1GB memory sticks?
I'm watching spiderman2 right now and it's impressive. I want to see how much the movies are next month before I form an opinion on if they are worth it.

You can compress video to Mpeg(4?) and send them to the memorystick now.

chrispy
03-24-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm watching spiderman2 right now and it's impressive. I want to see how much the movies are next month before I form an opinion on if they are worth it.

You can compress video to Mpeg(4?) and send them to the memorystick now.

$20-$30 for UMD movies. I'm cool off that. I've been encoding my own.

S14DB
03-24-2005, 12:33 PM
$20-$30 for UMD movies. I'm cool off that. I've been encoding my own.
amazon.com has them for 30% off now. I still am expecting them to be less than DVD's once the hype dies down.

Bestprices has them for $14.95

ZK
03-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Yeah, but is the quality as good as DVD? And you can't play UMD on your TV either. Why bother?

balmo
03-24-2005, 02:41 PM
dang, wish had the money and time to play that bad boy

SOLDIER [X]
03-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah, but is the quality as good as DVD? And you can't play UMD on your TV either. Why bother?

they'll probably make a cable that will let you link your psp to a TV

mr_240sx
03-24-2005, 04:20 PM
do they have gt4 available for the psp yet?

SilviaDriver
03-24-2005, 04:30 PM
i have two for sale. anybody want it?

Creizai
03-24-2005, 07:38 PM
How many Dead pixels :bowrofl:

mbmbmb23
03-24-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm willing to bet that in the future, someone will get the PSP to run SNES, GBA, and Genesis emulators.....
and on that day, I'll get in line to buy one.

They already have that for the new Nintendo thing with the dual screens. You can buy a blank 2gig gameboy advance cartridge and burn all the NES + SNES games onto it and play it with the emulator.

-m

kazuo
03-24-2005, 11:31 PM

Oddly enough, there seems to be plenty of PSPs to go around...

Only reason I didn't bother to buy any to resell.

nrg
03-25-2005, 02:23 AM
I reserved one at EBgames back in december. I couldn't wait till 8am tho. So i stop by my local 24hr walmart and saw a huge line of people that have been there hours ahead. I didn't care for it because I had one reserved in the morrning. But when I got home, I knew there's no way that walmart would have sold them all. So I went back and picked one up. A simple in and out 1am haha.
Refunded my preorder at EB earlier today. I was number 2 on their list =D.

There's plenty of psp around. I have one dead pixel but it doesn't bother me. It's comon for LCD screens.
Twisted Metal: head on is awesome.
My next game is Lumines and GT4

SilviaDriver
03-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Oddly enough, there seems to be plenty of PSPs to go around...

Only reason I didn't bother to buy any to resell.

there wont be anytime soon. the next shipment is in July

S14DB
03-25-2005, 11:06 AM
do they have gt4 available for the psp yet?
Comes out in Sept. got pushed back from next month.

The video's are DVD quality 16:9 widescreen.

Macadoshus
03-25-2005, 11:25 AM
My friend got one these last night, showed it to me this morning. So impressive I had ot run out and buy one. For what it can do you can't beat the price. Now I gotta hack it to see if I can get it to run my own software...datalogger maybe? Who knows...cool stuff.

mr_240sx
03-25-2005, 12:40 PM
well i might consider buying one once gt4 comes out!

SilviaDriver
03-25-2005, 04:39 PM
How many Dead pixels :bowrofl:

loser.

none, cuz theyare new in box

nrg
03-26-2005, 05:34 AM
^^ actually there are dead pixels. It's comon on ALL LCD screen.
I have one and it's only vieable during black background. Doesn't bother me much.
Look around the gaming forum and there are people crying over 1 haha. There are reports of 4-6 dead pixels. I would be piss if I had that many.

even Nintendo DS has dead pixel problems. same with High end LCD tv, computer screen, lcd monitor, etc.

tokesĀ¹
03-26-2005, 05:48 AM
congrats on your killer haulage man! i cant wait to get my hands on one of those.

Fastback180
03-26-2005, 06:20 AM
Fuck all that PSP shit.
Check out what I got today...

http://www.howardcc.edu/learningcenter/av/photos_equip/Laserdisk%20player.jpg

mr_240sx
03-26-2005, 10:28 AM
^ wtf is that? never seem anything like it before!

S14DB
03-26-2005, 01:33 PM
It's the flop bigger than BetaMax. It's a LaserDisc! It's amazing how the DVD can kill an over hyped product and piss off the rich suckers that bought it.

SilviaDriver
03-26-2005, 02:58 PM
^^ actually there are dead pixels. It's comon on ALL LCD screen.
I have one and it's only vieable during black background. Doesn't bother me much.
Look around the gaming forum and there are people crying over 1 haha. There are reports of 4-6 dead pixels. I would be piss if I had that many.

even Nintendo DS has dead pixel problems. same with High end LCD tv, computer screen, lcd monitor, etc.

i never said there isnt a chance of dead pixels. i said none, cuz its new in the box. 2 and 2 together.

kazuo
03-26-2005, 04:05 PM
i never said there isnt a chance of dead pixels. i said none, cuz its new in the box. 2 and 2 together.

You lose, try reading up on it.

Dead pixels are a common problem on PSPs. A large majority have them. It's as common as the dead pixel issue on the TurboExpress back in the day.

Example:

Dead Pixels Present
We've tested three USA PSP units so far. Two of the units have 1 dead pixel each but they were near the edge of the screen. The third unit is perfect. The USA user manual mentions the dead pixels under the Troubleshooting section except they're called "black, red, blue and green spots." We're guessing the word "dead" is never good when describing a product. Similar to the current policy in Japan, we're fairly certain that Sony will not accept returns for units with dead pixels although a Gamestop employee we spoke to earlier didn't know the official stance.

source: http://www.ncsx.com/2005/ncs032105/ncs0321h.htm

They also experienced similar problems during the Japanese launch.

Thread on Lik-Sang Forums: http://forum.lik-sang.com/showthread.php?t=2381

You get the idea... Sony Japan does not accept PSPs with dead pixels from distributors as defective. They get returned to the vendor.

Marty
03-26-2005, 05:23 PM

How did you get all of that onto your Xbox?

boosteds13
03-26-2005, 05:29 PM
How did you get all of that onto your Xbox?

I'm running an Xodus mod-chip with a MUCH bigger hard-drive :)
http://www.escic.com/cr95gst/modchip.jpg

S14DB
03-26-2005, 09:15 PM
xenium is for pussies... Cheap knockoff.

kazuo
03-27-2005, 12:20 AM
haha, GBA has all kinds of emulators that you can run off a flash cart. SNES, NES, MAME, even TurboGrafx...

with a certain type of flash card, you can even run fucking SuperCD Dracula X... *dies*

boosteds13
03-27-2005, 02:31 PM

WTF are you talking about??? Knock-off my ass...

SilviaDriver
03-27-2005, 04:20 PM
You lose, try reading up on it.

Dead pixels are a common problem on PSPs. A large majority have them. It's as common as the dead pixel issue on the TurboExpress back in the day.

i think ur missing my point. i never said there isnt any dead pixels, nor have i claimed there cannot have any dead pixels. what i said is the unit is brand new in the box, the tape isnt even cut. so since the unit is unused, there IS no dead pixels. i never said there wouldnt be any, i juss said there ISNT any since the unit isnt even used to know ther are dead pixels.

Fastback180
03-28-2005, 05:27 AM
^ wtf is that? never seem anything like it before!

That's cause you're a youngin...a bumpkin.

see "back in the day" in elementary/middle school we had this crazy new technology that would replace the VHS...it was called, a "Laser Disk"
:eek2:

mr_240sx
03-28-2005, 07:57 AM
That's cause you're a youngin...a bumpkin.

see "back in the day" in elementary/middle school we had this crazy new technology that would replace the VHS...it was called, a "Laser Disk"
:eek2:
so i take it this laser disk was the transition between vhs and cd's?

publicenemy137
03-28-2005, 09:48 AM
^ yeah it was. It has super clear picture like the DVD. It was just too big, too expensive, and no support from movie companies, so it never caught on.

boosteds13
03-28-2005, 10:40 AM
^ yeah it was. It has super clear picture like the DVD. It was just too big, too expensive, and no support from movie companies, so it never caught on.

Some places like Suncoast still sell em in laserdisc but they are like $40-45 each. I totally remember being back in Middle/High school and the teachers using them.

kilword1
03-28-2005, 11:26 AM
WTF are you talking about??? Knock-off my ass...

xenium is a good chip im happy with mine...well i got it for free so i dont care tomuch :P
120gig xbox :)
got every and i do mean every snes,nes,n64,gba game on it...and most mame..
and i dont care for much others roms wise...

ZK
03-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Some places like Suncoast still sell em in laserdisc but they are like $40-45 each. I totally remember being back in Middle/High school and the teachers using them.

I still have my LD player and disc collection sitting around somewhere. You could only store 1 hour of video on one side of the disc. If your movie was over 1 hour you had to get up and flip the disc... unless you had one of the high end auto flip players. They were most popular in the 90s. Quality is about DVD level, it filled the gap for high end video before the DVD took over.

Laserdisc was big in Japan. Never quite picked up here in the US though.

matlock
03-28-2005, 07:54 PM
haha my friend's dad had a laserdisc player too with starwars, and a shitload of other movies. Those things were awesome. The discs were like the size of records. Hey SilviaDrive how much are yu selling these PSPs for ;)

Marty
04-03-2005, 09:50 PM
That Xodus chip, is it just a simple DIY install? And does it allow you to save xbox games so that you dont need the disk to play them? Or is that something else?

boosteds13
04-04-2005, 12:07 AM
That Xodus chip, is it just a simple DIY install? And does it allow you to save xbox games so that you dont need the disk to play them? Or is that something else?

Yeah, just get the solderless kit with it and it's a pretty simple job. Only other thing you NEED is a bigger hard drive. If you are on a budget, just grab a used 80GB drive off ebay or something. The hardest part is loading the BIOS and Dashboard onto the Xbox from your computer.

Marty
04-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Looking at their site is pretty confusing, considering they give no explanation of what their product does and such. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places....

Stock-S13
04-04-2005, 01:32 AM
Both of you suck for even having a Chip. Bios since 03', only drawback is no online play, we fear Bill gates has implemented a kill command for our set up.

Oh word on the street is that they have a way to play vids off of the PSP. My guys in the scene are working on the Family Guy Dvds as we speak.

Marty
04-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Both of you suck for even having a Chip. Bios since 03', only drawback is no online play, we fear Bill gates has implemented a kill command for our set up.

Wait no xbox live if I get a chip?

Stock-S13
04-04-2005, 01:43 AM
Wait no xbox live if I get a chip?

Well as i stated I do not have a chip we simply have a modified Bios. We would rather not run the risk of geting our shit fucked if they have any detection algorithm or program, which I'm sure they do.

Its Microsoft for christ sake, didn't you ever see that simpsons. He comes over with two guys and, "buys you out."

In either case I would never even play online play, it was offered to us for free for 2 months plus a headset too from our ISP. Xbox sucks, it was just the Hack novilty which we seek. Been doing this since the PS days mind you.
I really can; think of atile i enjoyed on that console and we must have like 40 somthing games for that thing. Besides that controler is bulky and I have massive hands to boot.

Wait I just remembered, Crimson skies, but we did Ki.

boosteds13
04-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Uhh....well, your "BIOS only" mod isn't that great. With the newer BIOS, you can turn it off so your Xbox is undetectable for online play. Basically just turns your Xbox into a regular one. The only thing Microsoft does if you try to play LIVE with a modded box, is ban you from the Live servers. But who the hell uses Live??? We all use Xlink Kai... FREE online play.

In response to your question about HOW to install the modchip, go to www.xbox-scene.com There is an install FAQ for just about everything on there.

240niz
04-04-2005, 01:57 PM
:-/ No money ...no game...

chrispy
04-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Oh word on the street is that they have a way to play vids off of the PSP. My guys in the scene are working on the Family Guy Dvds as we speak.

LOL, since when was playing video's the "word on the street"?

kazuo
04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Uhh....well, your "BIOS only" mod isn't that great. With the newer BIOS, you can turn it off so your Xbox is undetectable for online play. Basically just turns your Xbox into a regular one. The only thing Microsoft does if you try to play LIVE with a modded box, is ban you from the Live servers. But who the hell uses Live??? We all use Xlink Kai... FREE online play.

A LOT of people use LIVE... and theres more ways for them to figure out you have a chip than just looking for the chip itself.

Hint: HDD

Just do what my crazy ass friend does if you're hardcore 'bout your LIVE... two Xboxes.. one hacked, one not.

Foolproof

boosteds13
04-04-2005, 03:49 PM
A LOT of people use LIVE... and theres more ways for them to figure out you have a chip than just looking for the chip itself.

Hint: HDD

Just do what my crazy ass friend does if you're hardcore 'bout your LIVE... two Xboxes.. one hacked, one not.

Foolproof

I dunno, my friend has been playing on Live for MONTHS with his modded box and has no problem.

S14DB
04-04-2005, 06:38 PM
it's called encoding them to MP4 and copying them to the Memory stick. Not mad tight 733+ hacxor stuff... :hs:

nrg
04-05-2005, 01:45 AM
www.nrgonline.org/psp

enjoy that site. has most of the lastest crap going on for the psp. video encoding, transfers, downloads, etc.