PDA

View Full Version : Helping Newbies

sideviewcivic
03-23-2005, 05:34 AM
I was thinking of Highlighting the Search button in a color that stands out and flashes every so often so that newbies and more people will be apt to using the function rather then just posting up threads that are continuously reposted.

Phlip
03-23-2005, 08:32 AM
and how many Newbies do you think have actually noticed the "Forum Suggestions & Technical Support" section down here?

... but I think that idea was kicked around once before, but hasn't happened. Personally, I would like to see the search button larger and RIGHT next to the "start new thread" button

S14DB
03-23-2005, 08:58 AM
When you start a new thread there is a search for existing threads button next to the thread name.

I've seen the flashing search on 'other' forums. Those changes come from the top and I don't know how hard it is to do.

Phlip
03-23-2005, 10:59 AM
When you start a new thread there is a search for existing threads button next to the thread name.

I've seen the flashing search on 'other' forums. Those changes come from the top and I don't know how hard it is to do.
Damn, I been around a minute and I never noticed that thing myself, I guess it just made sense to me to use several different search terms and Google before starting new thread, then I realized it was far more fun to damn near only start off-topic threads

the head
03-24-2005, 08:42 AM
I think the layout before this one had a red search button on it I don't know if it actually helped though

91CRXsiR
03-24-2005, 01:43 PM

are you sure? i just tried nothing for me..

Phlip
03-24-2005, 04:51 PM
are you sure? i just tried nothing for me..
I checked before I responded yesterday, it's there just to the right of the title line, the icon:
http://www.zilvia.net/f/images/buttons/findicon_off.gif
... could stand to be a lot larger though, it is easy to miss

mrmephistopheles
03-24-2005, 10:59 PM
I think the layout before this one had a red search button on it I don't know if it actually helped though

Yeah, I did that. It seemed to help.
not sure how to change it in the new setup though.

PHLIP, when I get a new computer (because my home PC is broke), I'll see about making a new graphic for that button.

Andrew Bohan
03-25-2005, 12:18 AM
how about if a user has less than 50 posts, every time he tries to submit a new thread he gets a popup that says "Did you search first? If this topic has been covered before, other users may become irritated. Please be sure to use the search button before posting new threads."

s14 blacktop
03-31-2005, 11:48 AM
how about if a user has less than 50 posts, every time he tries to submit a new thread he gets a popup that says "Did you search first? If this topic has been covered before, other users may become irritated. Please be sure to use the search button before posting new threads."

Now thats a good idea, I would think the popup would probably work.