PDA

View Full Version : moving to orlando/going to UTI there

crioten
03-22-2005, 12:08 PM
im thinking about taking another step in another direction in my life. shit, what more can i do? ive tried college and ive tried the army (long story) but neither on of them have really "suited" my tastes... i got a call from an old friend and he said an off hand thing that i should come down to florida with him, and i was like why the hell not?

so i got to looking at what i could go back to school for (really need to finish that education i started a while ago), and im really interested in cars, always have been and ive always wanted to take classes on them. but nothing in my area was really good. i got on the net and started looking at tech schools in orlando, and low and behold theres a UTI right there in orlando, and they also have a BWM certification program there too (ive always wanted to work on those pavement eaters) whats not to love?

now, for the part that i cant really do until i get down there: where should i work? where should i live? (whats nice is that i already have a good roomate waiting for me to get down there)

soooo, anyone know of any cool/exciting places to work? (just looking for the average college kid type job) and anyone know of any good apartments that arent too crappy and arent too expensive, just right? :) or hell, any thoughts at all about anything ive typed out...

-glen

S14DB
03-22-2005, 01:03 PM
What's a BWM certification?

crioten
03-22-2005, 10:41 PM
bmw pretty much pays for your schooling and gets you certified to work at their dealerships (on the cars of course) :)

SR240DET
03-23-2005, 01:51 AM
crioten... maby you should really look into this some more.. i have some friends comming out of UTI and all they said is they owe alot of money and didnt learn shit......

keepitmovin
03-23-2005, 02:27 AM
crioten... maby you should really look into this some more.. i have some friends comming out of UTI and all they said is they owe alot of money and didnt learn shit......

same here..from what i hear you can go to a community college and get the same knowledge without the huge price. Sure its not as fast, but youll save a lot of money.
Just thought, but yea try researching more "success stories" in your area..

boosteds13
03-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Daytona Beach Community College offers the Nissan Pro-CAP program....

S14DB
03-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Daytona Beach Community College offers the Nissan Pro-CAP program....
DBEZ woot!!!

wootwoot
03-23-2005, 09:09 AM
That makes me want to move to Daytona. The only autmotive programn we have around here is absolutely shit.

nissantuner22
03-23-2005, 09:49 AM
UTI= great if you dont know what a screwdriver is.

If you have a good knowledge base on what an engine is, whats a transmission, what kinda parts are in it, a lot of UTI's programs are nothing more than a waste of money. I remember when I was touring the facility in orlando for their marine mechanics program. Having come from one of the best marine mechanic programs on the high school level in the US, I was led away from basic classrooms, and was told that I had " no need for them" and I could start in their "more advanced" classes. The people at MMI (Marine mechanics institute) even told me their programs are geared for people who have no idea what anything is. very entry level. However, they do offer advanced classes as well, with more specific fields of interest.

Although I'm not to familar with UTI's automotive division, I'm sure its the same principal. Entry level knowledge for a lot of money.

crioten
03-23-2005, 12:58 PM
wow, good points... ill really have to check it out...

anyone know of any other good schools there in orlando? i'd really like to stay in that area

boosteds13
03-23-2005, 02:09 PM
wow, good points... ill really have to check it out...

anyone know of any other good schools there in orlando? i'd really like to stay in that area

Valencia Comm College
Univ of Central Florida
Rollins College

Valencia and UCF are FREAKING HUGE! We are talking 30,000+ students. Rollins is pretty small, but EXTREMELY expensive although I think it is rated as one of the best private 4-year universities in Florida.

crioten
03-23-2005, 02:24 PM
you can take automotive courses at those schools? ive been looking at their sites and cant find anything yet...

S14DB
03-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Valencia does like DBCC. I don't know what certs they offer. Look under Voc traning.

UCF is a 4yr and doesn't realy offer tech training. The do have engineering.

Rollins is a Rich Kid Liberal Arts college. Good luck finding any tech there.

evilimport
03-25-2005, 02:48 AM
DBCC...haha.

Does Kieser or Stetson offer anything automotive?

boosteds13
03-25-2005, 09:43 AM
DBCC...haha.

Does Kieser or Stetson offer anything automotive?

I know that Keiser doesn't... and I doubt Stetson does. Embry-Riddle has a great aviation maintenance program though :)

S14DB
03-25-2005, 11:15 AM
DBEZ is the only one in town.

Keiser will make you a great stenographer!

Stetson has no tech really. Only Busness and Music.