PDA

View Full Version : Torrents, what are they and how do they work?

matlock
03-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey I am not sure if this has been asked but I hear a lot of talk of these "torrents" for downloading, and I am in no means a moron when it comes to computers but I think I totally missed out on this whole deal, what are they how do they work where do I go to find more info. I appriciate the help guys thanks.

Ritz S14
03-21-2005, 04:34 PM
A torrent is a really small file that you download. Once you open up the file, it downloads the actual file you're trying to get.

www.bittorrent.com

matlock
03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Okay sweet thanks, So basically there is an individual torrent for each item you would download. That's what I thought but then I wasn't sure if a torrent was a server for multiple files. Thanks man.

SilviaDriver
03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
thread made by me

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=61330&highlight=bit+torrent

its pretty easy. install the program. find a bit torrent site. download the torrent file so you have it on your desktop. open it and select where u want to save and hit enter. saving it to desktop lets you resume whenever you like rather than having to come back to the site and reopen the torrent again

matlock
03-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the link to that thread I remember reading that one a while ago. Thank you for all the info my question has been answered and this can be locked if mods want to do so.

HyperTek
03-21-2005, 08:07 PM
can someone pm me a link to a good torrent site? the site i go to (novatina) , i guess when i load em up, they are down cuz alot cant connect.. and i use torrentstorm

SilviaDriver
03-21-2005, 08:18 PM
haha i juss found out about novatina like 3 days ago. but they arent really "down" for me. i do get the download then throughtout the way of downloading, it says the tracker or some shit is lost, bu when i click okay, it contines again

infinitexsound
03-22-2005, 12:23 AM
torrent servers arent actual servers.. we are the servers.... its a like a p2p freenet... websites act like a server, but theyre not... more like a search engine... hope that helps.. bit torrent is okay i prefer azuerus...

papershot
03-22-2005, 11:45 AM
azerus is okay until you realize that its java based and takes way too much CPU to work. its mroe for newbies anyway.

bittornado > *

Yoshi
03-22-2005, 02:07 PM
azerus is okay until you realize that its java based and takes way too much CPU to work. its mroe for newbies anyway.

bittornado > *

it's GOD compared to things like craptastic Sharaza

fastpace
03-22-2005, 02:18 PM
http://www.animesuki.com/releases.php/i.html

S14DB
03-22-2005, 02:36 PM
I assume we are all posting legal torrents.

rps13sh
03-22-2005, 02:40 PM
what makes it legal? and is it illegal to download or upload torrents when your not uploading or downloading the whole file? its just bits and pieces of files so can they really process you in court for downloading small files from multiple places? ive seen alot of torrent sites being taken down these days but never heard of anyone getting in trouble using them. just thought id bring it up while the topic was hot.

sykikchimp
03-22-2005, 03:06 PM
downloading torrent files isn't illegal. It's the file the torrent points to that could be illegal to download if you don't already own the file. The torrent sites are comming down because of some technicalities. They aren't technically illeagal because they don't host the illegal content. They host files that allow users to connect to illegal content.

I've been using exeem. It's like kazaa mixed with bit-torrent. So no torrent list site to worry about browsing around. Just log on, search, and download.

HyperTek
03-24-2005, 12:23 AM
i just dled "In Trance We Trust" whole collection, 1.17gb.... soo freaking awesome.. =D if anyone likes trance.. get it!

TurDz
03-24-2005, 12:41 AM
try ABC client...I used to use burst! but ABC took it for me after I tried it out for a bit.

has lots of useful features..both of them.