PDA

View Full Version : S13 motor swap ---98 ka24de into 89 s13

gsxns13guy
03-21-2005, 04:48 AM
ok guys so I have been doing as much research as possible about the differnces between the different KA's and have downloaded al the FSM's ect. here is the list ofparts I have and a recap as to my understanding of the swap and what is nessicary.

ok parts:
1998 ka24de with 5speed tranny, ecu engine and body harness
also dead 1992 ka24de (no oil pressure)
power steering res. with lines high and low pressure
steering rack out of a 93(supossedly needed with SR also)
also a 92 5speed ecu and engine harness (no body harness)
5speed from a 1992 (with sensors)

ok so here is my understanding please correctme if my thinking is wrong!!!!

I am going to use the cams out of the 92 motor, into the 98 motor, it is my understanding that the secondary butterfly must be pinched on a 91-92 intake plenium, but not on the later 98 ? also the water temp sensor, tps, and O2, egr and MAFS must be swapped from the 92 onto the 98, (this is if I choose to use the 92 ecu) Correct?? (basically make the 98 motor with OBDII act like OBDI)??? What if I want to run the 98 ECU it is my understanding that I will have to rewire the wipers (I can figure that out with the FSM's) is this true? are there any inherant advantages to using the OBDII, I am not planning on turboing the ka EVER. also with the automagic to 5spd it is my understanding that I must bypass the parking saftey switch to basically always be in park. and here is the kicker!!! if anyone can answer this question they get a gold star, maybee two if it is in depth :-P here is the question. How do I retain HUD with the 98 motor/ecu? is it possible. here is what I have deducted through my reading and research but have not tested. it is my understanding that the spedo sensor is responsible for the digital HUD signal soooo if I remove the spedo sensor from the current transmission( or the 92 I have) I have and fit it to the new tranny (with they retro fit?)I should in theory be able to retain the HUD( I understand that the 89-90 hud and 91-94 hud have differnet tach input? how does this affect my swap?) any insight into retaining the hud with my swap would be awesome!!! thanks guys for any KNOWLEDGE that might be passed my way I am interested in doing things correctly not half assed. PLEASE enlighten me with any and all KNOWLEDGE you fellow nissaners might have thankyou! TJ

bj180sx
04-09-2005, 09:10 PM
I thought the cams from a 91 were the hotter cams to use in a newer de engine?? I couldbe wrong.

projectRDM
04-10-2005, 10:22 AM
I thought the cams from a 91 were the hotter cams to use in a newer de engine?? I couldbe wrong.

You are wrong. ALL 91-mid93 cams are the exact same.

To the original poster:
You can use either intake manifold but you will need to pull the SCVs from the 92 if you use it. The 98 won't require any work, it's your call.
Use the 92 ECU, harness, MAFS, O2, coolant temp, TPS, coil, and distributor. You can run the 98 ECU and harness but it's considerably more wiring whereas the 92 will plug right in, plus you'd have to change plugs to accomodate the S13 parts. Not worth it.
Wipers don't have to rewired when using the 98 harness, you'll just have extra plugs hanging loose. The S13 wiper wiring is part of the underhood harness, not the ECU harness, if you decided to use it. Again, not worth the effort since you already have a 92 harness.
And lastly, the HUD will work regardless of engine/transmisison combo, as long as you have the correct speed sensor (92) and the wiring is all plugged in you're fine. The signal goes from the speed sensor to the cluster, then down to the ECU. You could even leave the wire cut at the ECU, the signal will still reach the cluster first. Harness won't matter. Use the DOHC tach in the SOHC cluster, it's a direct replacement.

Phlip
04-10-2005, 10:27 AM
^^^ What he said... EVERYTHING he said

AadosX
10-06-2005, 04:54 AM
I am sorry to bring this back up front the dead... but I have a few questions...

I have a 91 auto car with dead motor. I am also picking up a 96 manual tranny motor, manual tranny, ecu, and harness. I have a manual tranny s13 harness as well laying around... and I know that on S13's ECU doesn't really matter (besides the idle)...

SO. I'm trying to figure out the easiest route... I'm thinking just take the 96 motor and swap everything up there that Russ said... but will my TPS work off the S13... because it's from an auto?

Also, one guy told me that the only thing I even really had to swap over from the 92 to the 96 was the intake mani... well apparently he was very wrong. It looks like, from what you said, that's one thing I DON'T have to swap over... or am I reading this wrong? How hard is it to remove the SVCs?... will it be easier to just keep the 96 intake mani on, does it just plug right up without any problems? I figured there were some different sensors or vaccum hoses for OBD II.

Will the 92 manual harness plug up to everything on the tranny as well?.. since it's from a 96. And since I'm completely replacing the harness, can't I just rip that automatic park position sensor thing out of there?

Sorry for the questions... I've obviously searched some but I'm rather new to this part of our cars. I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to do this.

Thanks SO MUCH for your time... I know it might be easier once I get in there... but I am replacing this in my apt. parking lot heh...

-John

projectRDM
10-06-2005, 06:43 AM
John, I hate you.

The TPS will swap over fine. To avoid having to adjust it, you can just swap the throttle body and not have to fine tune it.
The 96 intake manifold will have additonal vacuum ports but you can plug those, the CTS swaps over, but another thing I didn't mention is the heater core outlets are different sizes between S13 and S14, so you'll either have to add reducers in the lines or swap the lower heater pipes between manifolds. Swapping the S13 manifold on is just as easy, the SCVs pull right out (I know there's writeups, I've answered a few) and you can leave the CTS and TPS alone. Plus, the earlier manifolds look cleaner, less tabs to secure brackets/hardware. Your call on which way to go.
For the transmisison, use the auto harness. The 5spd will plug in, but you won't have the wiring for the neutral and 5th gear switches on the chassis side so there's no point in using it (you don't need either one anyway), and then just hardwire the reverse lights. VSS is separate from the rest of the transmission harness, and you'll need to use an S13 manual VSS, The S14 won't work and your auto won't either.

AadosX
10-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Heheh, thanks buddy. ;)

Ok looks like I'm just going to use the intake mani off the 91 motor. My friend said he never took out the SCVs, but his car never did run perfect... so I'll look into how to do that.

I'm still confused on the heater core thing... but I'm sure I'll figure it out once I'm in there.

Now, once last question. Are you telling me to just keep the complete auto harness in the car?... or what?

I promise this is the last question... if I don't understand after this then I'll just wait and figure it out on my own hah... because that's obviously what it will take at that point.

projectRDM
10-06-2005, 03:19 PM
You'll figure the SCVs out easily. You can just open them up and lock the rod in place, thereby eliminating the need to remove them. They're vacuum operated, so unless there's proper signal and vacuum they won't open. Wedging them open works just as good as removing them completely.

Heater core outlet size is 3/4" on S14s, 5/8" on S13s. The hoses won't fit right, either they'll be too loose or too tight, depending on application. You can get reducers for the hoses but that's more work, so judt use what you have already existing.

Yes, leave all the wiring that's in the car, both upper and lower harnesses. The S14 ECU and harness is a ton more work, I just did a friend's recently because we only had that and the S14 CTS, O2, TPS, and distributor/coil to work with, but it twice the work and only really something an experienced wiring person would do. Not saying that with both FSMs you couldn't, but it's 10x the work, easily, for no benefit. Sell the leftover parts and turn a profit.

AadosX
10-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Hrm I see what you're saying about the S14 harness, but I also have an S13 manual transmission car harness... should I still just stick with the auto one that's in the car?

projectRDM
10-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Keep the auto lower harness. The chassis harness won't have the wiring for the extra stuff so there's no need to plug the 5spd lower harness in, just sell it.
All you'll need to do is wire the reverse switch in, two wires. I don't recall the colors offhand but you'll figure it in the FSM.