PDA

View Full Version : S14 airbag into S13 possible?

shinrekka
03-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Is it possible to put a S14 airbag system out of maybe a 1995 240sx in to an 89 S13. Im only asking because in order for my parents to "allow" me to keep my car is if it has an airbag. Im thinking about just bolting on a steering wheel and telling them it works but it would be nice if it actually did. I read that the only sensor in the S14 is a gravity sensor is that true? any one do this before?

JKim0901
03-20-2005, 07:38 PM
im sure no one has done it, why dont you ask for a s14 instead?

projectRDM
03-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Is it possible to put a S14 airbag system out of maybe a 1995 240sx in to an 89 S13. Im only asking because in order for my parents to "allow" me to keep my car is if it has an airbag. Im thinking about just bolting on a steering wheel and telling them it works but it would be nice if it actually did. I read that the only sensor in the S14 is a gravity sensor is that true? any one do this before?

Wow. If I was your parents I'd be more worried about what kind of harm you could cause to others with that kind of intellect.

You could install an S14 steering column, wheel, spiral cable, airbag harness, and the control unit, but you'd still have an open circuit because the passenger side bag won't be in place. You'd also have to use S14 light/wiper stalks and rewire the plugs in order to keep the turn signal housing and cancel. Over a grand worth of parts and labor to make a car worth $500 'safe'.

nrg
03-20-2005, 11:21 PM
just buy a roll cage, seat, and 4/5 point harness.

s13gonwild
03-20-2005, 11:24 PM
^ so he can crack hes melon in half? just get an s14.....

redsuns3838
03-20-2005, 11:31 PM
buy my S15 wheel. it bolts onto S13 and has a steering bag...but it wont work on a S13...but ur parents wont know that =)

shinrekka
03-21-2005, 07:47 PM
im sure no one has done it, why dont you ask for a s14 instead?

no no no no i already bought the car, they keep making up all this shit so i cant drive it first it was, "I got an estimate on insurance and its 6k a year just for liability because its a sports car and your 18" knew that was bullshit because its not a sport car. The its "The car has to many miles on it" then I reminded them my current registered car has more. And so on, the only thing left for them to say is "it dosent have an airbag, you cant drive it". SOOOO i figure since im getting the car painted, lowered and stock alloys put on, they wont recognize the car. Im just gonna say I sold my old one, and bought another with an airbag in it. No matter what im gonna bolt on a airbag steering wheel so they'll stop bitching. But it would be nice to have it be functional, i think its kinda gay to have an airbag steering wheel and have it not be functional. I put to much blood (especially blood), sweat, and tears into this car to sell it, plus S14's in my area are super expensive and rare, even rarer with a 5sp. I will be installing some 5point seatbelt harnesses and a rollcage so i think that should just about make up for no airbag in the long run. My parents just want to be gay, they dont like the fact I can have my dream car in high school wile their still driving 80's subaru station wagons for the past 20 years. No matter what i do they try to ruin my dreams even tho theres no reason for it. The car i have registered to drive now is a 94 geo prizm that sqeels, vibrates horribly, bumpers are fucked, windows dont roll up under 5mins, randomly dosent start, for some reason horrible gas milage, acclerates and stops reeeaall shitty. For it to pass inspection my dad made me pull half the idiot lights in the dash. Now there is no way in hell they can tell me thats a better car then my 240sx. My 240 is mint, everything but the A/C works. I put new Apexi N1 exhaust, Custom intake with a K+N filter, new battery, new clutch, new window regulater, New stock lip, put stock alloys on it, new alpine stereo, steam cleaned the whole interior and dozens of other things, im sure most of you would rather bolt on a non functioning airbag then have to sell your baby.

BSeay
03-21-2005, 09:07 PM
inform your parents they are over protective and tell them that it if they want an airbag they need to pay for it...

S14DB
03-21-2005, 09:23 PM
The air bag will never work. But you can always bolt a S14 or S15 to have the look.

I think you need to do some research and educate your parents. The 240sx is a larger car with a better safety system than the geo. Also, an airbag is only efective in certain types of crashes. Crumple zones and design are much more important. You will be much safer in the long 240 then the geo.

My dad hated the Idea of me getting the 240. Cause it was small and RWD. It was my own purchase so he had no say. Only relenting "well I guess you need a sporty car in college to get it out of your system" Now after ridding in my car several time's he's rebuilding a old 911.

I think in the long run having a dialoge(not arguing) with your parents is better than scaming them. If you try to scam your parents they will always figure it out.

nismo2491
03-21-2005, 09:29 PM
s13 w/o airbags got better crash test ratings than s14 w/ airbags did IIRC.

BoroBoroS13
03-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Airbags are evil, I hate those things. My friend hit a cement divider doing 70mph and his air bags didnt go off. But once his car came to a stop and while he was getting out of the car the air bag blew up in his face and knocked him out. They also tend to go off in stupid small impacts.

Just scam em and get a S15 wheel off ebay. Show them the little air bag logo and tell them that it works. Its not like they are going to figure out that it isnt hooked up. Hehehe

DrSiD202
03-21-2005, 09:51 PM
yea, my parents bitched about all that stuff too. I just told em AirBags were stock. They just bitch about the huge hole in my driverside seat & the back of the backseats is all rusted and doesnt have carpet on the back/.. maybe ill get them to help me get seats then.. you should get yours to get you a wheel.

projectRDM
03-21-2005, 10:00 PM
no no no no i already bought the car, they keep making up all this shit so i cant drive it first it was, "I got an estimate on insurance and its 6k a year just for liability because its a sports car and your 18" knew that was bullshit because its not a sport car. The its "The car has to many miles on it" then I reminded them my current registered car has more. And so on, the only thing left for them to say is "it dosent have an airbag, you cant drive it". SOOOO i figure since im getting the car painted, lowered and stock alloys put on, they wont recognize the car. Im just gonna say I sold my old one, and bought another with an airbag in it. No matter what im gonna bolt on a airbag steering wheel so they'll stop bitching. But it would be nice to have it be functional, i think its kinda gay to have an airbag steering wheel and have it not be functional. I put to much blood (especially blood), sweat, and tears into this car to sell it, plus S14's in my area are super expensive and rare, even rarer with a 5sp. I will be installing some 5point seatbelt harnesses and a rollcage so i think that should just about make up for no airbag in the long run. My parents just want to be gay, they dont like the fact I can have my dream car in high school wile their still driving 80's subaru station wagons for the past 20 years. No matter what i do they try to ruin my dreams even tho theres no reason for it. The car i have registered to drive now is a 94 geo prizm that sqeels, vibrates horribly, bumpers are fucked, windows dont roll up under 5mins, randomly dosent start, for some reason horrible gas milage, acclerates and stops reeeaall shitty. For it to pass inspection my dad made me pull half the idiot lights in the dash. Now there is no way in hell they can tell me thats a better car then my 240sx. My 240 is mint, everything but the A/C works. I put new Apexi N1 exhaust, Custom intake with a K+N filter, new battery, new clutch, new window regulater, New stock lip, put stock alloys on it, new alpine stereo, steam cleaned the whole interior and dozens of other things, im sure most of you would rather bolt on a non functioning airbag then have to sell your baby.

When your head cracks open like a watermelon from striking that rollcage, be sure to send us pics. I need a good laugh.
I think your whole story is hilarious, you're 18 yet your parents are telling you what to drive and you're upset about the possible loss of an old ass, worn out 240 because you've jacked off to them since Import Tuner said they were cool. Get your priorities straight, move out, and quit crying.

Phlip
03-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Or option 3:
Get a fucking job and pay your own fucking insurance, problem solved