PDA

View Full Version : help/my new 240sx

hmooblis
03-16-2005, 05:54 PM
sorry no pix, but my car is parked outside and i live in anchorage. its a 89 coupe with a auto. i bought it for 1500 from a friend. it runs decent but the way he treat it i wouldn't wonder why. theres oil leaking from the valve cover, basicly no oil in the car, no raditor fluid, and the engine bay is really dirty. to top that off, when i took out the cover that covers the spark plug wires to the distrubutor, one of the wires wasn't even pluged.

the real big problem i have with the car is how it start on the first try with lag but when you turn it off and try to turn it back on it won't start. the battery is good so im thinking is the alternator or starter or something electrical. should i just take it to a shop to have it looked at?i need help on this one.

i don't know what else i'll find but all these are just the little things so im pretty happy. any tips or commnets

Sil Beer S13
03-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Tech section??? maybe???

matlock
03-16-2005, 08:53 PM
sounds like that is the least of your problems maybe get some coolant and oil in there first. And werd to the Tech Section!

MakotoS13
03-16-2005, 09:10 PM
i'd just like to express my condolences for you living in alaska.

our deepest sympathies are with you,
Texas

rainier
03-16-2005, 09:23 PM
basically you should just clean up the engine bay first and then get a new gasket for that valve cover, then you should fill the engine with oil and all the fluids. then see if u still have that problem

hmooblis
03-17-2005, 12:32 AM
haha, thanks i'll keep you guy updated alright

sw20>>s14
03-17-2005, 04:48 AM
youd be surprised how well a neglected car runs after a basic tune up. take care of everything so you dont have to worry about it down the road. and also to know that you personally meticulously changed/intalled it with care.

mjjstang
03-17-2005, 05:56 AM
u got urself a diamond in the rough my friend,

ss045
03-17-2005, 06:17 AM
do a tune up you stupid son of a bitch!

j/p. no seriously. go do a tune up you stupid son of a bitch.

BoroBoroS13
03-17-2005, 07:02 AM
You could get a front clip from Japan to fix all your problems :)

If not, a good tune up should do the trick. The oil leaking out the valve cover is a common problem on KA's as well.

MakotoS13
03-17-2005, 07:11 AM
You could get a front clip from Japan to fix all your problems :)

If not, a good tune up should do the trick. The oil leaking out the valve cover is a common problem on KA's as well.

how would an expensive and expensive to maintain motor that he'd need to swap into his car which would also need a tune up solve his current dillema of needing a basic tune up?

he'd be back at square one.

BoroBoroS13
03-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Bah, the Makoto strikes again... I guess I will just have to explain why this worked for me.

My KA was in the same shape as his (Far from reliable and needed a lot of work). So I got a CA18 clip for dirt cheap (At that time they were about 1K), gave the motor a major tune up, and installed it with some friends. Most matance parts for the Silvia/180SX CA8DET are the same as the Pulsar CA18DE here in the states, so matance parts are very cheap and easy to find. Grand total for me was about $1,600.

So instead of wasting my money on a motor I was going to pull down the road anyways, I wasted it on something I wanted in my engine bay. It makes more power, has 1/3 the miles on it, its more reliable, and its a whole lot of fun to drive every day. :)

MakotoS13
03-17-2005, 08:23 AM
well that makes sense because it worked towards your goal. however, some of us want to do crazy things like turbo sohc's and stuff :)

eff and SR keep whats in the car :)

BoroBoroS13
03-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Yup, it always comes down to your goals and your situation. What works for me isnt always whats best for others. :)

m0rex
03-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Clean the engine bay good and swap that bitch!

the head
03-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Clean the engine bay good and swap that bitch!

The force is strong in this one :down:

the head
03-17-2005, 02:06 PM
now to actually contribute
change plugs wires and the dist cap and change fuel filter
do oil change coolant and trans flush

report back if you still have problems

infinitexsound
03-17-2005, 10:17 PM
i doubt the valve cover gasket is a big problem... timing chains are the worse in my opinion... but everyone has theyre own thoughts........

like everyone says flush fluids and redo them all...
spark plugs and wires...

Advan
03-18-2005, 02:13 AM
hmmm, I may not have alot of knowledge in cars, but as for the starting problems, couldn't that be caused my leaky injectors or bad injectors? It's an in-the-air question, so I may be completely wrong. Though, the I too, have to do tune up on my car. Change your battery cables as well, while doing your tune up. I'm learning little by little.