PDA

View Full Version : anyone play paintball? i need advice on a gun i'm looking at

DrtyRat
03-06-2005, 03:25 PM
hey i'm sure there are some of you that play paintball and i'm going to start playing soon.....need advice on this gun for a newb(spyder imagine 04) the reason i'm looking at this gun is cuz i only have a budget of no more than 150 let me know what u think

SimpleSexy180
03-06-2005, 03:45 PM
yeah thats fine, just remember always get a gun that has the hopper feed straight down into the gun, not sideways or any of that bs.

sticky240
03-07-2005, 12:24 AM
yeah spyders are good first guns. They are also good to because its easy to work on. I started with a spyder and even when I got good I dind' twant to upgrade because the spyder was just so easy to work with.

s13silady
03-07-2005, 12:51 AM
i have a spyder compact sc... how much do those usually go for?

skatanic28
03-07-2005, 12:54 AM
spyders are definately good guns to start out with.
get a barrel, regulator, and e-hopper and youll be set.

MakotoS13
03-07-2005, 08:49 AM
four words:

ZILVIA NATIONAL PAINTBALL TOURNAMENT!!!

that'd rock socks so hard.

biggie
03-07-2005, 12:47 PM
I thought about the Imagine, but decided I didn't need an eletronic gun. Ended up with 98 Custom. But haven't heard anything bad about spyder's.

S14DB
03-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I got an electric Spider as a backup when my Mini-Cocker was stolen. It's an impressive package that can be upgraded easly/cheaply.

PinkPanther
03-07-2005, 02:38 PM
I've got a 98Custom with a electronic trigger and hopper, sealed cocking handle, and a flatline barrel...this fucker is tough as nails and VERY accurate.

DrtyRat
03-07-2005, 05:01 PM
yeah i had looked @ the 98custom but for a newb i thought the spyder was pretty good.....i got one new but out of the package for 107.xx plus 8.00 shipping. a friend of mine had a spyder shudder and when i talked to him he said i got a good gun. i got another freind w/an tippman a5 and he's thinking about getting one of my guns as a backup

Phlip
03-07-2005, 08:30 PM
four words:

ZILVIA NATIONAL PAINTBALL TOURNAMENT!!!

that'd rock socks so hard.
Funny, I have lived less than a half mile from the largest paintball place in my state for over 3 years now and have NEVER gone... I don't think they like black people there

biggie
03-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Funny, I have lived less than a half mile from the largest paintball place in my state for over 3 years now and have NEVER gone... I don't think they like black people there

We've seen some there, granted we aim for them first though. :Ownedd:

Shin_Kudo
03-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Spyders are pretty nice guns, my little bro uses one, and I've had them as rentals once or twice.

However, I only played paintball a couple times. I discovered airsoft and never looked back at paintball again.

Phlip
03-08-2005, 05:39 PM
We've seen some there, granted we aim for them first though. :Ownedd:
And this, people is coming from someone in my state, ladies and gentlemen... I'll be keeping my ass away

vapor_skank
03-09-2005, 12:00 AM
yeah a spyder is a very good starting point. if u decide u like paintball that much and want to get more serious then u can invest the money into a nicer marker. does anyone play on a regular basis? i try and play every weekend.

yusuke1923
03-09-2005, 01:15 AM
I have a spyder E-99 SEMI AUTO... for $150 I will give you THE GUN, 20Oz TANK, POUCH, PODS, and HELM...

jOeHaCk98
03-09-2005, 01:55 AM
what field do you live by?

Also, spend the money and get the new smart parts gun. its very decent for the price (299).. zilvia paintball tourny. im in, in fact, i will host it if you like. (www.santaclarapaintball.com)

evilimport
03-09-2005, 04:01 AM
I'd get the Spyder if I were you, get a good barrel, electronic loader and a compressed air tank (fiber-loom). Me and my brother both shoot 'cockers but both of us have played with Spyders (usually as backup guns).

jOeHaCk98
03-09-2005, 04:18 AM
as much as i hate the company smart parts. there new gun the Ion is VERY GOOD for 299. Break beam eyes, you can effortlessly shoot 17bps.

dct223
03-09-2005, 05:16 AM
i wouldnt really bother on compressed air on a spyder... co2 is fine for those markers. Anyways, i have a spyder TL plus, with a electric trigger and 14" dye boomstick barrel.. had no problems with it. I dont think spending 500 bucks on a autococker, or 1000 for an angel is really worth it... spyders are great markers to start off with *sigh* i havent gone paintballing in so long.. i miss it...

Jeff240sx
03-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Electronic guns? Bah.
I M P U L S E
Tourney legal, 13bps capable.
-Jeff

jOeHaCk98
03-09-2005, 03:32 PM
13bps capable is fine for 1998. It simply won't cut it in tournament play now adays. Impulses are obsolete and never really good to begin with. They lack low pressure regulators, there electronics and eye logic isnt "smart" They are big, clunky and have sloppy triggers.

Compressed air is a great upgrade after you get started. Its one of the few upgrades that can work on the next gun you upgrade to.

If you are going to upgrade barrels, try a stiffi, carbon fiber 2 stage design. Like a boomstick but much lighter. Let me know if you need one i can source it cheaper than most...

Want something tourny legal that can rip. Shoot an 05 angels speed. Ive hit 21 bps, tourny legal. :)

kandyflip445
03-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Compressed air is definatly a good upgrade. Especially if you like to shoot a lot of paint. I used to own a 98 custom with a 32* barrel. It sucked, I think. Too heavy. I froze a seal inside the gun cause I was shooting to fast with CO2. My friends spyder shutter was much nicer. When I had that 98 I wanted a stiffi barrel. *sigh* Maybe I'll get a new gun sometime.

Jeff240sx
03-10-2005, 10:40 AM
13bps capable is fine for 1998. It simply won't cut it in tournament play now adays. Impulses are obsolete and never really good to begin with. They lack low pressure regulators, there electronics and eye logic isnt "smart" They are big, clunky and have sloppy triggers.

Compressed air is a great upgrade after you get started. Its one of the few upgrades that can work on the next gun you upgrade to.

If you are going to upgrade barrels, try a stiffi, carbon fiber 2 stage design. Like a boomstick but much lighter. Let me know if you need one i can source it cheaper than most...

Want something tourny legal that can rip. Shoot an 05 angels speed. Ive hit 21 bps, tourny legal. :)

I'm not going to argue with you too much, as I haven't seriously played in two years. The stock Impulse can go to 16bps pretty easy under ideal (i.e. bouncing trigger) conditions. Or.. ~13 with me cranking the trigger. When did full auto guns become tourney legal? Never AFAIK. If you upgrade the trigger to an eblade (again, fully legal) - 20-25 bps are possible, because the trigger bounce is easy. Or, buy a full auto board and be non-tourney legal and 20-25bps every time.
Sloppy trigger? Sorry.. I didn't realize 1/32" electromagnetic trigger classified as sloppy. They're a bit on the tall side. But again, you're trying to compare a $500 gun to a $1000 gun. While I'm trying to say "rather than spend $300... think about a used Impulse for $350-400". Not.. go buy an angel when people are talking Spyders. So.. go be elitist elsewhere.
If it matters, my first gun was a pirahana, then an automag fitted with an RT conversion. Then the Impulse. Next gun will be the Karnivor.
-Jeff

jOeHaCk98
03-10-2005, 11:08 AM
-That's great, but you're wrong. A stock impulse base is limited to 13bps by electronics. Meaning, You can pull 14+, but it will ONLY shoot 13, Always.

-Full Auto guns became legal in NXL this past year. However, I was talking about LEGAL 21bps guns in the NPPL format. So yes, 21bps semi, LEGAL.

-Stock impulses dont come with e-magnetic triggers. I was talking about side slop regardless. Usually when people talk about sloppy triggers, weight or pull isnt involved.

-Im not telling him to get an angel over an impulse, im telling him to get an ION over Impulse with in fact is Cheaper, and NEW!

- And no, it doesnt matter what you shoot or shot. But I wouldnt get a Karnivor, junk.

PhoenixxRising
03-10-2005, 12:52 PM
ION'sare great for the price. We have a couple in at the shop I work at. Also a Spider is a good gun for a beginner. As for me, ill stick with my ebladed Sonic Cocker and my Angel LCD backup. Work your way up to something you want. Also check out the used guns section on pbnation.com. ALOT of good buys there. Drop me a lineon the price of the Stiffi switch kit. Very interested in picking one up. If the price is good, ill pick up an extra kit for the angel.

Also, I wouldnt call the Karis junk. My coworker/teamate has one and the thing rips.

jOeHaCk98
03-10-2005, 01:41 PM
well im not a fan of the rough milling, ecocker like performance, hassle passing the nppl robot, and moving parts. I'll get you some prices. we now have some colored carbon fiber switch kits in blk/red, blk/blu, blk/yellow.

evilimport
03-10-2005, 02:24 PM

CO2 blows period compared to compressed air... too many bullshit retard prob's with CO2...frozen o-rings, inconsistent pressure with temperature change, refilling, etc....

Eblade 'cockers own Angels.

vapor_skank
03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
i dont think these people need to worry about being tourny legal just yet. go ahead get a spyder for starts. i started with a spyder and moved my way all the way to high end markers. id shoot an angel before cocker :rawk:

vapor_skank
03-10-2005, 03:33 PM
joehack is that your field or do they let u host tournies there or something?
im not sure but in april i might have a tournie there its either santa clarita or santa clara with the xpsl.

jOeHaCk98
03-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Im the field manager there. I am also on the field sponsored team, Epic. I'll be playing xpsl san jose. My car should be ready then, come say hi.

vapor_skank
03-10-2005, 11:19 PM
for sure, did u play last weekend at sc? we played a team epic something i think.

jOeHaCk98
03-10-2005, 11:35 PM
i had to work, but yeah, that was my team.

vapor_skank
03-10-2005, 11:54 PM
that sucks u missed it, i think your team placed pretty high if it was the epic in the rookie division.

trixxxr4_kids
03-11-2005, 11:09 PM
i have a spider imagine my friend gave me , it has a vertical feed hopper , one of those sensitive feather triggers, single shot, 3round burst, and auto and for a beginning gun go for it

PhoenixxRising
03-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah a price on the blk/blu when you get time please.