PDA

View Full Version : how to drift in gt4?

sepulchral
02-23-2005, 01:38 PM
how do you drift in gt4 is there an autox option? only thing ive been able to do is get sideways in the dirt track... i wanna drift its so realistic!

Hondamatic
02-24-2005, 12:00 AM
ibtl.. http://www.gtplanet.net

HyperTek
02-24-2005, 12:03 AM
make sure to turn off all the driver assists stuff... lsd.. stiffer suspension, negative camber in front.. and cheat a lil, put less grippy tires in the rear... i still suck tho, counter too much and go the opposite way lol.. dam this game has a learning curve.

KoukiMonster
02-24-2005, 02:32 AM
if you can't drift in gt4 you're fucking hopeless.

DJPimpFlex
02-24-2005, 04:23 AM
compared it GT3 its rediculious. I'ma stick with GT3

NI_YON_Zenki
02-24-2005, 05:17 AM
Try this. . . Just learn to play the new "realism" of the game. Tek invited me to play, I admit, I don't have the Little black box, but from privious experience I've had with the game, I can honestly state. . . I sucked doodoo bars tryin' to run a JGTC car around The Ring, (NurBurg) that is. So, my consultation to all who want to drift. Learn the game 1st. . . Then start loosing those digi dollars out on the professional course you're about to tear up (literally). . .Peace.

sepulchral
02-24-2005, 05:49 AM

hey hitler, i dont own the game or ps2 its at my friend's house i only played it for like 30 mins so take a chill pill.

On most of the cars i drove the steering is really shitty, everything understeers

KoukiMonster
02-24-2005, 06:30 AM
welllll before you go to your friends house consult this forum

http://gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141

and this forum

http://gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=115

Twinkie
02-24-2005, 01:34 PM

asshole...what a fucking closed minded prick.

compared it GT3 its rediculious. I'ma stick with GT3

imo...gt4 is way better. more cars more realistic.

brainfood
02-24-2005, 07:24 PM
In gt3 you had to set up the cars really stiff and with super locked differentials to drift. gt4 is much more realistic I have my s14 setup like my s14 in real life and I can bust drifts good, my race style is more high speed drifting though so I like the car loose but I dont get very much angle.

DJPimpFlex
02-25-2005, 12:03 AM
I was just staying that it is extremely difficult in GT4 and not as fun.

mr_240sx
02-25-2005, 09:36 AM
I was just staying that it is extremely difficult in GT4 and not as fun.
did you buy gt4 for the fun of the game or for the realistic parts in the game? Remember, GT4 is a simulator not some other nfsu2!! If you want easy drifting, go and get nfsu2!

Var
02-26-2005, 06:39 PM
the drifting in this game isnt realistic. I've been at it for 3 hours, and while i CAN do it, it's simply not realistic.

The one part of it that makes it unrealistic is the differential. I've set it to 60/60/60 which is as fully locked as it will get, but initiate the drift early and start sliding into the turn on the throttle and the car stops sliding and just sits there and burns rubber like a one legger. In reality, when you slide , you do lose speed but having a locked diff and being on the gas makes you slide for as long as you want. if you had a whole parking lot at your disposal, or a skidpad or whatever, you could keep sliding in one direction (eventually making a big cicrcle) as long as you want. In this game, the rear end of the car doesnt push you through the turn. Basically you have to carry enough inertia to make it through which is bs.. allthough it's the correct way to drift, it takes away from realism which sucks. It's hard to notice at first because it's really difficult to do a steady drift, but after i got good at it i realized this shortcoming. It's even more apparent if you try to do donuts and/or low speed drifts. Also i can honestly say it's easier to drift in real life than in this game, and i dont suck at video games. The overall physics of the cars are more realistic, but GT3 had better drifting. maybe it's the car i'm using? D1GP RX7 FC. Dont believe me? Fuck off

edit: also the switchbacks are unrealistically violent because the controller sensitivity changes. basically when you are grip driving you turn and it responds normally, but when countersteering your input is uber delayed so it's harder manji/switchback drift/ or recover from a fishtail

Drunk Bastard
02-26-2005, 06:55 PM
also the switchbacks are unrealistically violent
:werd: it wants to SNAP back, rather than slide....dunno, guess i'll have to get used to it....or get the gt4 steering wheel. :loco:

mr_240sx
02-26-2005, 07:11 PM
the drifting in this game isnt realistic. I've been at it for 3 hours, and while i CAN do it, it's simply not realistic.

The one part of it that makes it unrealistic is the differential. I've set it to 60/60/60 which is as fully locked as it will get, but initiate the drift early and start sliding into the turn on the throttle and the car stops sliding and just sits there and burns rubber like a one legger. In reality, when you slide , you do lose speed but having a locked diff and being on the gas makes you slide for as long as you want. if you had a whole parking lot at your disposal, or a skidpad or whatever, you could keep sliding in one direction (eventually making a big cicrcle) as long as you want. In this game, the rear end of the car doesnt push you through the turn. Basically you have to carry enough inertia to make it through which is bs.. allthough it's the correct way to drift, it takes away from realism which sucks. It's hard to notice at first because it's really difficult to do a steady drift, but after i got good at it i realized this shortcoming. It's even more apparent if you try to do donuts and/or low speed drifts. Also i can honestly say it's easier to drift in real life than in this game, and i dont suck at video games. The overall physics of the cars are more realistic, but GT3 had better drifting. maybe it's the car i'm using? D1GP RX7 FC. Dont believe me? Fuck off

edit: also the switchbacks are unrealistically violent because the controller sensitivity changes. basically when you are grip driving you turn and it responds normally, but when countersteering your input is uber delayed so it's harder manji/switchback drift/ or recover from a fishtail
i totally agree with you.... i have the same troubles but i tohught it was just me!!

AlligatorBling
02-26-2005, 07:16 PM
get the dodge charger and go rally in arcade, you will drift.

::edit:: if you make it orange and watch the replay, its like watching dukes of hazard

DJPimpFlex
02-28-2005, 03:21 PM
ok well I spent about 3 hours learning how to drift in GT4 and I finally ot it donw good. First the D1GP RX7 is awsome. all lift off heavy feint drifting in 3rd gear. Hella fun. Another thing. If you try drifting without a wheel its a lot harder. I have a GT3 logitech wheel and a custom stand and BS and it makes it MUCH more fun. once I got this set up I could actually start sliding and drifting constintly. Another think I noticed is the ammount you brake is really importand just like in real life. You have to 1/2 brake into corrners to make the back end slide out, if you full brake you just understeer. The only thing that is not realistic is the slow speed stuff. The test track which is a parking lot with cones has a circle in it and I tried to power over slide the whole thing and the game wasnt having it. I was on sport tires though. I tried economy tires on a stock car and it was also good. Just FYI.

Var
02-28-2005, 08:01 PM
I talked to one of the guys that worked on creating the game. He said the physics engine places the car on a pivot point in the middle of the car. That's why the rear wheels cant push the car thorugh a slide. They did this to make the weight transfer effects more realistic for the grip driving. For 90% of the time it makes everything more realistic than GT3, but in the other 10% is where it falls short. After playing for a few more hours it almost feels like drifting a FWD car. :( i'm really dissapointed. But o well, it' still a great game otherwise. I'm about 13% done with it and i've played it 4-5 times so far.

KiDyNomiTe
03-01-2005, 01:05 AM
GT3 = 2 way 10/8 springrates, slammed, sim tires and low power or sports tires and high power. No TCS and ASM, didn't need to change anything else but could to fine tune and I could drift.

This game is quite odd, guess you just gotta get used to it, plus I have only really tried on the Tom's Chaser with power up and low weight.

MakotoS13
03-01-2005, 07:19 AM
ok well I spent about 3 hours learning how to drift in GT4 and I finally ot it donw good. First the D1GP RX7 is awsome. all lift off heavy feint drifting in 3rd gear.

i stold it to get a bigger snail for my S15. has anyone else put a supercharger on any cars? i slapped one on the Z06 and you can't hear it at ALL. fuggin lame.

i'm still pretty shocked that the C6 vette didn't make the lineup :(

DocTaDrifT
03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
yea no C6 but they have the new mustang

mr_240sx
03-01-2005, 09:56 PM
i thought they might have had some ferrari's and some lamborghini's!!

BobbyBoy
03-01-2005, 11:04 PM
its all in the countersteering. remember if you arent using the wheel, you have a force feedback controller. they revamped the steering, so if you press the opposite direction to countersteer hard, it will do an opposite lock. For most drift that is not what you need, so with the force feedback controllers, don't counter steer so hard. if you have a pS1 controller like i do, just tap it slightly.

Remember what good ol takumi taught us in the sticky tape deathmatch. less steering input=beating an red EG...or just better drifts

mr_240sx
03-01-2005, 11:26 PM
i just finished spending a good 1 hour just practicing my drifts in gt4 and i noticed that the drifts are nicer when you dont steering and just let the drift. (matter of speech). with gt4 you gotta re-learn ow to drift cause its almost the opposite as gt3 in how the car reacts.

Var
03-03-2005, 08:33 PM
i thought they might have had some ferrari's and some lamborghini's!!

nope sorry ..

Silvia Wannabe
03-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Why haven't they put ferrari's or lambo's in any of the games?

MakotoS13
03-04-2005, 12:47 PM
cause i think they're gay.

MikeDeuce
03-04-2005, 05:52 PM
It's all about the licensing.

Though there was a Diablo GT in GT3... I think Acclaim holds the license to use Ferrari in video games and Titus currently interactive owns the license for Lambo.

I'd rather have genuine licenses in games than have to drive a Nassin 240xs.

Heartwork
03-04-2005, 07:15 PM

Though there was a Diablo GT in GT3... I think Acclaim holds the license to use Ferrari in video games and Titus currently interactive owns the license for Lambo.

yep, its all about licensing...remember NBA Jam and there was no Jordan? Jordan licensed by EA...

hopefully EA wont buy out every car manufacturer out there :madfawk:

bik
03-04-2005, 09:19 PM

there was a lambo in the japanese GT3, they change it on the US version for a nissan car O_O

Var
03-05-2005, 08:06 PM
You guys should try drifting an all wheel drive car. it seems a little more realistic

MikeDeuce
03-06-2005, 04:56 PM
there was a lambo in the japanese GT3, they change it on the US version for a nissan car O_O

Hmmm it seemed to make it on to my US copy of GT3... Not that I earned it, but I definitely have that car on my save.

Also http://ps2.ign.com/articles/092/092673p1.html

ghostuss
03-06-2005, 05:12 PM
been doing rally in arcade mode with the 555 sti. Omfg so hard. I am still 1 minutes something away from the other car's finishing time. GT4 pro 900 degree wheel is freaking hard to control. Especially in rally.

doriftokouki
03-06-2005, 06:02 PM
silvia s14

MikeDeuce
03-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Heh heh here's one from last night:

http://www.pixelstorm.net/temp/deldrift.jpg

88.8mph [email protected]#!*#

AlligatorBling
03-07-2005, 05:39 PM
^ did you time travel?

MikeDeuce
03-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah, right after I made that turn GT1 loaded on my PS2 :naughty:*...

*Shamelessly stolen joke.