PDA

View Full Version : car for free-fifty

citizen
02-11-2005, 08:21 PM
haha, just picked up an 89 acura legend ls for the sum of free-fifty. everything is in pretty good condition. but, the water pump went out and the timing belt skipped off the pulley, although the shop i got it from told me it was 90% sure to be ok. the mechanic had pulled the valve covers for a visual inspected and it find any seized valves (*edit* thanks luke) so thats a good sign. anyways the previous owner didnt want to spend money fixing it when it *could* be blown so they gave it to the shop. anyways im gonna replace the water pump and see if it has any compression and go from there. not sure if ill keep it or sell it but i already got a friend of a friend who is interested in buying it as is. so if he wants to pay me enough i may just turn a nice profit for pushing the car two blocks to my shop. peace out foos~

nismo2491
02-11-2005, 08:24 PM
what is free fifty? is that supposed to be free+fifty or three fifty or what?
KEvin

citizen
02-11-2005, 08:30 PM
free-fifty = free

dizastaman
02-11-2005, 10:17 PM
actually 0 - 50 = -50.
sorry i'm just being a smart ass.
congrats on the find. those acuras will run forever.. i have a couple friends that have had a them and pissed all over them for years and they still run like champs.

nismo2491
02-12-2005, 12:22 AM
haha a guy I know drove one of those all the way from baltimore to annapolis without a water pump, replaced the water pump and car still ran fine for a year, it was his beater and he didn't feel like paying a tow bill that would be more than he paid for the car so...
KEvin

citizen
02-12-2005, 04:52 AM
its a hyphen, not a minus sign, idjuts

blu808
02-12-2005, 05:21 AM
is awsome how the mechanic had x ray vision being able to see that the pistons wernt seized through the head.

Too bad your valves are all bent though.

citizen
02-12-2005, 01:34 PM
is awsome how the mechanic had x ray vision being able to see that the pistons wernt seized through the head.

Too bad your valves are all bent though.
thanks for pointing out my error.

anyways what the mechanic did was pull the valve covers and rotate the cams to see if any valves were stuck down, which would indicate if they were bent. he didnt find any. later today im gonna check to see if the valves could actually hit the pistons at all by rotating the crank and cams by hand.

Var
02-12-2005, 04:18 PM
lot of honda engines are zero clearance, so good luck with that poS...just swap an LS1 in it.

nissantuner22
02-12-2005, 04:20 PM
You know, with overnight parts from Japan, you could get that thing ready for race wars.

nismo2491
02-12-2005, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=westboroughpimp]lot of honda engines are zero clearance, so good luck with that poS[QUOTE]
I'm guessing you mean interference engines?
KEvin

HaLo
02-12-2005, 05:47 PM
You know, with overnight parts from Japan, you could get that thing ready for race wars.

:bowrofl: A couple of SR20s could pull a premium before Race Wars... :bowrofl:

Nice find!! you can't go wrong with a free fifty Acura!! :D

HyperTek
02-12-2005, 07:50 PM
hahah, me and my friends usually say "Free.99"

citizen
02-12-2005, 08:07 PM
woke up really late today so by the time i got up to the shop it was too late to start anything major. but i did put a piston up to tdc and rotated by cams a few times and they didnt hit. and the cams rotated freely and at least the followers were working on the front bank. so i dont think any valves are bent ^^ but i wont know for sure until i compression test it after getting the water pump and timing belt back on.

citizen
02-14-2005, 11:13 PM
haha! i got a new water pump, timing chain and tensioner on today and it ran! albeit somewhat shortly. in order for it to start i had to give it full throttle and after that it wouldnt idle or run for that matter without me keeping on the gas. we decided the timing might be retarded too much so we advanced it, it ran worse that time. so we played around with the timing some more but coulnt get it to run again =(
i think some junk from the old gas thats been sitting for i dont know how long ( the registration was due back in aug 2004 for i can assume its been sitting at least that long)
so unless anyone can point me in another direction or has any suggestions im gonna start going through the fuel system tomorrow and see whats up. hopefully it will be something simple like a clogged filter