PDA

View Full Version : The State of the "Union"

sykikchimp
02-03-2005, 12:33 PM
I want to start by saying there has been a lot of doom and gloom about where we, as a nation, are headed. The Democrats are screaming bluddy murder, and the Rebuplicans are shouting STFU TREE HUGGERS! Korea is building bombs, and People die constantly in Iraq due to violence.

But if you look past the media hype, there really are a lot of positive things happening. Isreal and Palestine have the best oppertunity for peace in literally decades, Iraq has finally had free elections, Russia and China are working together to fight "terrorism" (this could be good or bad.. I choose to currently see it as a good thing and not be a pessimist.) The world is actually experiencing a slow renissance.

For example, many people are in an uproar over outsourcing jobs overseas. How about looking at it in another way. Picture this: We are moving out of an "Industrial age" and into a more "Conceptual Age". One that would allow us as a nation to focus on becomming the worlds "big thinkers" and ideologists. We assist the poorer, less educated nations in moving up into the industrial age we are leaving. Sort of like a societal assension. And honestly, it would only make sense that the other economic power houses in the world would be moving in the same direction. i.e. China, Russia, Western Europe, etc..

We should not be afraid of other countries growth and expansion unless we have become devoid of the will to better ourselves. ALL transitions are scary, and tumultuous. It's the nature of change. What comes from the change, be it good or bad, depends soley on the will of the people leading the change, and the openess of the people to accept it.

The work we are doing in Iraq can actually be seen as global infrastructure development. If we help their people rise to an "industrial age" then we not only help them to increase their quality of life, but we increase ours. Remember your lessons about economics and efficiency. Country A provides x service, while country B provides Y goods. It's a win/win situation. 2+2=5

The part of this movement that scares me though is how the national deficit is growing exponentialy, and how many of our top leaders are focused more on re-election than moving our country in the right direction.

what do you think?

nismo2491
02-03-2005, 12:38 PM
but what about the ice age looming ahead of us!?!?! that looked terrible, new york city under like 50 ft of snow. people freezing to death in seconds.
huh what? that was a movie? oh whoops.
2+2=5
:bs: 2+2=4. I just did it on a calculator :duh:
j/k I got your point

honestly though, I missed the state of the union, anybody know if its online anywhere or have a recording of it near md/va/dc area? thanks
KEvin

sykikchimp
02-03-2005, 12:43 PM
This is not really about Bush's State of the Union address.. Although it does have a bit of relevence to the topic. I was more using the phrase as a play on words. That's why Union is in quotes. I speak of Union as "the world working together"..

ehh.. just thinking too much lately.

nocomedown
02-03-2005, 01:05 PM
I want to start by saying there has been a lot of doom and gloom about where we, as a nation, are headed. The Democrats are screaming bluddy murder, and the Rebuplicans are shouting STFU TREE HUGGERS! Korea is building bombs, and People die constantly in Iraq due to violence.

But if you look past the media hype, there really are a lot of positive things happening. Isreal and Palestine have the best oppertunity for peace in literally decades, Iraq has finally had free elections, Russia and China are working together to fight "terrorism" (this could be good or bad.. I choose to currently see it as a good thing and not be a pessimist.) The world is actually experiencing a slow renissance.

For example, many people are in an uproar over outsourcing jobs overseas. How about looking at it in another way. Picture this: We are moving out of an "Industrial age" and into a more "Conceptual Age". One that would allow us as a nation to focus on becomming the worlds "big thinkers" and ideologists. We assist the poorer, less educated nations in moving up into the industrial age we are leaving. Sort of like a societal assension. And honestly, it would only make sense that the other economic power houses in the world would be moving in the same direction. i.e. China, Russia, Western Europe, etc..

We should not be afraid of other countries growth and expansion unless we have become devoid of the will to better ourselves. ALL transitions are scary, and tumultuous. It's the nature of change. What comes from the change, be it good or bad, depends soley on the will of the people leading the change, and the openess of the people to accept it.

The work we are doing in Iraq can actually be seen as global infrastructure development. If we help their people rise to an "industrial age" then we not only help them to increase their quality of life, but we increase ours. Remember your lessons about economics and efficiency. Country A provides x service, while country B provides Y goods. It's a win/win situation. 2+2=5

The part of this movement that scares me though is how the national deficit is growing exponentialy, and how many of our top leaders are focused more on re-election than moving our country in the right direction.

what do you think?
very good post. it's refreshing to see someone actually taking a step back and looking at the big picture.

nismo2491
02-03-2005, 01:14 PM
nevermind
the message I entered was too short

SoCalS14
02-03-2005, 04:45 PM
I like your first comments. The political scene in America is interesting right now. We have a wave of conservatism blowing over the country and this has led us into some interesting policy decision at home and abroad...

Given that, these comments are what scare me..

Picture this: We are moving out of an "Industrial age" and into a more "Conceptual Age". One that would allow us as a nation to focus on becomming the worlds "big thinkers" and ideologists.

The worlds big thinkers eh? Thats a mighty arrogant claim and basically lies at the root of WHY religious men in the middle of the desert are out killing are boys. Even worse, an arrogant goal. I believe in peace and democracy, but there are BETTER choices out there.

If anything, we have moved out of the industrial age and into an INFORMATION age, where the technology and services we can provide rather than factory type work, is the new commodity. The real problem is that we are not responding fast enough to this change in economic climate, and people in China and India will quickly outpace us.

We need to be the leaders in this area. We need to beef up the education system, and invest in our future.

If anything, the world thinks our ideaology sucks, or at least the way we IMPOSE it.

With the diversity that America has, I am always surprised at how western-centric we have become.

There is more than one way out of the box.

nissantuner22
02-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Wow, someone who realizes that outsourcing labor jobs is a good thing!

90RS13
02-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Russia and China are working together to fight "terrorism" (this could be good or bad.. I choose to currently see it as a good thing and not be a pessimist.)

I don't think China will do anything stupid. They're finally starting to be seen on a higher level by other countries, due to many changes in their governments mindset. They're starting to have a very good space program, they're starting to develop technology on their own instead of feeding off Russia. And while they are still lacking in humanities in general, and fighting a huge aids epidemic, they're slowly becoming a little more respected. I think that they know that the world will slowly change how it sees China and I don't think they want to jeapordize that. We all know that it feels good for people to like you, and kinda sucks to be talked about. It also feels good as a government to know that other coutries "like" you, and it doesn't make a government happy when the world is always talking about what a dump your coutry is. ya know?

nocomedown
02-04-2005, 11:23 AM
They're starting to have a very good space program, they're starting to develop technology on their own instead of feeding off Russia.
there space program can be attributed to the kindness of Bill Clinton in selling our secrets on how to get a rocket into space to the Chinese.

sykikchimp
02-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Given that, these comments are what scare me..

The worlds big thinkers eh? Thats a mighty arrogant claim and basically lies at the root of WHY religious men in the middle of the desert are out killing are boys. Even worse, an arrogant goal. I believe in peace and democracy, but there are BETTER choices out there.

If anything, we have moved out of the industrial age and into an INFORMATION age, where the technology and services we can provide rather than factory type work, is the new commodity. The real problem is that we are not responding fast enough to this change in economic climate, and people in China and India will quickly outpace us.

We need to be the leaders in this area. We need to beef up the education system, and invest in our future.

If anything, the world thinks our ideaology sucks, or at least the way we IMPOSE it.

With the diversity that America has, I am always surprised at how western-centric we have become.

There is more than one way out of the box.

It would be arrogant if Self proclaimed. If our country is educated enough, and has the scientific, and monetary resources, then there is no reaosn why we could not be seen as such IF (big if) we really start producing ideas and technologies that can radically advance the quality of life of the entire world.

The key is thinking globally, not locally. How about the possibility that we are in the theoretical "information age" now (which really would have been more accurate than my previous statement.). A time were we begin plugging all the other countries in the world into an interconnected web of information and economies.

Interresting argument though. It would be very easy to misconstrue our intentions as tyranical.

SoCalS14
02-04-2005, 02:50 PM
It would be arrogant if Self proclaimed. If our country is educated enough, and has the scientific, and monetary resources, then there is no reaosn why we could not be seen as such IF (big if) we really start producing ideas and technologies that can radically advance the quality of life of the entire world.

The key is thinking globally, not locally. How about the possibility that we are in the theoretical "information age" now (which really would have been more accurate than my previous statement.). A time were we begin plugging all the other countries in the world into an interconnected web of information and economies.

Interresting argument though. It would be very easy to misconstrue our intentions as tyranical.

Plugging everyone "in" is a interesting goal, but some will believe this is yet another way for the US to leak western ideas, or pollute societies with rich cultural history.

The real trick is advancing and disemenating techonology, without cultural values attached. We need to allow cultures to evolve on their own. Thats how we did it right? Revolution. Change. Self-determination.

Are role is really to lead by example, and embrace all who wish to FOLLOW. Whether we are currently achieving this goal, is up for debate. I personally think not.

90RS13
02-04-2005, 04:40 PM
there space program can be attributed to the kindness of Bill Clinton in selling our secrets on how to get a rocket into space to the Chinese.

To say that's how they got a good space program is silly. Even the people that, at first, did think they used other technology, thought they borrowed from the Russian's. Actually, they did buy alot of Russian space equiptment, but used it more for learning instead of copying. They wanted to do this on their own, and most of Russia's stuff is getting pretty dated anyway. All the models they're experimenting with now are Chinese engineered. I'm sure they may have learned some good information off of what we "gave" them, but they wouldn't have needed it. If they were learning from Russia, which is very active in space, (they've been launching supplies/people/satt's, for us for little while now, since the space shuttle's suck) then there's no reason they wouldn't be able to do the same. Anyways, if the US, Russia, European countries and a private company can all "get a rocket into space" it's retarded to say that the US is the only reason China could.

RBS14
02-04-2005, 08:03 PM
didn't read through except for sykik's first post, but here's a bit of info you may not know.

People are all happy and praising democracy because Iraq "had their first election in 50 years". The truth, is that the United states and Britain created all of the middle eastern countries in the early/mid 1900's. There were no "Arab countries" before then. For what? Oil of course. That magical three letter word. Anyways, Iraq never liked us being the imperialists that we were, basically running their govt. So in the 50's they revolted and were able to kick us and Britain out of there. Shortly after, they had an election. An election held to put Iraquis in power, now that the U.S. had been kicked out. Politicians were saying for years "we'll get it back, we'll get it back." And now, what do you know, we got it back. But now we're supposedly the good guys because we're "spreading democracy" and set up "the first election in half a century in Iraq."

Yay for us.

Anyone see the irony? If not, read it again.

Things aren't always what they appear to be, especially with this administration.

SimpleS14
02-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Anyone see the irony?

Why yes...yes I do. But you forgot that France had a play in creating some of the Arab nations after WWI. Funny how France was labeled after not agreeing with this plan.

RBS14
02-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Ah, my bad. that is also quite Ironic. Life is just full of Irony.

ICKY
02-05-2005, 12:50 AM
I agree the educational system in the US totally sucks. As far as the chinese having a space program, go them. Maybe one day we'll be able to make a colony on the moon or something like that. National deficit... there will always be a national debt. No matter what you do, you buy, you sell, you trade. There will always be a national debt. Lastly... I highly doubt this country will be able to "stand together" for very long. It would take another 9/11 to happen in order for it to happen. Even then, a few years later we'll just be bitching at eachother again. You could relate this country to Ancient Rome. Some things happening in the US now, happened in Ancient Rome. History is bound to repeat itself someway or another.

RBS14
02-05-2005, 01:17 AM
About the national defecit. There is a huge problem with how Bush is doing his "deficit spending" Technically deficit spending CAN be good, if done at the right time and in the right manner. The theory is that the money the govt is spending is getting pumped into the economy to stimulate it. However, the money Bush is doing his deficit spending with is mostly going into the war in Iraq. Bombs, armorment etc. The U.S. economy is never going to see that money again. It is not being pumped into the economy, but is creating a huge deficit, so it's a double hit for the economy and taxpayers. But most people don't understand how the economy works, just that "deficit spending is good" so the administration gets away with it. There is a petition that something over 200 of the country's top economists have signed saying that the bush administration's fiscal policy is the exact opposite of what should be done. Once again, proving the overwhelming knowledge our current administration seems to ooze on a daily basis. They're geniuses I tell you!! Geniuses! Yet over 50% of America still loves them. Which also goes to show the average knowledge level of Americans. God this is depressing.

ICKY
02-05-2005, 01:45 PM
That money is being spent to build bombs? Well, your kinda sorta right. The money is being used to develop new technology and better weapons. We're still using alot of bombs leftover from Desert Storm. We have an ample supply of Daisy Cutters to level a whole country to rubble. Lastly, the economy isn't as bad as everyone is making out to be. Sure a few years ago it was at record highs... but what goes up MUST come down. You can't expect the economy to keep its growing upswing forever. It eventually has to stop/slowdown somewhere. It just happened to be when bush became president. Not 2 months after he was elected, people said he caused the economy to slow and go into recession. I call BS. No way the economy could fall from that high, to that low in 2 months. Also... WTF did Clinton do to the national defecit? Notta damn thang! ...but hes a democrat so it's okay, he can do no wrong... :rolleyes:

RBS14
02-05-2005, 02:14 PM
no, I know how the economy works for the most part. and you are right, it can't react to something as fast as it did when he became president. The economy is like a supertanker, you tun the wheel all the way, and it starts tuning ten minutes later. The signs were there before it happened, and the bush administration was more concerned about having parties and the like than monitoring and helping the economy. Another thing to note is that it went from it's biggest peak in over 35 years, to it's biggest low since the late 70's/early 80's. So it's not like it just came back to a normal level, it plumeted WAY below it. regarding what Clinton did? yea, he eliminated Bush Sr.'s deficit and created a 1 billion dollar surplus. So yes, you are right, he did do no wrong.