I was wondering what the best way would be to fix this crack in my zenki lip:
http://www.beefstorm.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_2005032Small.jpg

rainier
01-30-2005, 07:17 PM
just buy a used one from someone else. cuz its gonna end up cracking again

HyperTek
01-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Choices...
a.)slap some bondo and spray it flat black and sell it to some chump on ebay for $150...

b.) what rainier said

c.)spray it flat black and it wont be soo obious

ok not serious about option a, but i wouldnt be surprised if people ahve been doin that.

Whiplash Willy
01-30-2005, 08:05 PM
So pretty much, the only way to fill the hole is with bondo, which will crack anyways if it bends right? There are no other flexable fillers out there?

HyperTek
01-30-2005, 08:18 PM
i did see a "urethane bumper repair kit" at kragens that might work. you can try that, otherwise is hard to repair urethane in general.

s14xman
01-30-2005, 08:20 PM
if its gunna crack agian then just don't bother. Are you going to a car show or something? Let that shiet get some abuse. I would personaly jus bondo that shiet and paint it flat black if it is really that big of a deal

-E-
01-30-2005, 08:26 PM
use a 2 part epoxy like JB

Bryants95240sx
01-30-2005, 08:46 PM
yep jb weld will work thats how i fixed mine b/f my car got repainted then the body shop fixed it with some type of epoxy but it stout now

Jonnie Fraz
01-30-2005, 11:59 PM
If you realy want to fix it Go to a body shop supply and ask those guys what to use. The guys at the supply house's somtimes know more than the body guys.
It will more than likely be some crazy two part epoxy. Body shop supplies are on a whole different level than Kragen or Pep Boys. The down side is it is gonna cost you.

MakotoS13
01-31-2005, 09:36 AM
i asked around a lot and the answer always was "buy a new one" cause fixing it just isnt' a cost effective solution.

-E-
01-31-2005, 12:11 PM
If you realy want to fix it Go to a body shop supply and ask those guys what to use. The guys at the supply house's somtimes know more than the body guys.
It will more than likely be some crazy two part epoxy. Body shop supplies are on a whole different level than Kragen or Pep Boys. The down side is it is gonna cost you.
JB will do the job, if you want to use something other then JB you can get 3M structural adhesive 08101 works great :bigok:
http://www.midwayauto.us/detailedproductdescription.asp?11537

Fastback180
01-31-2005, 12:19 PM
pour the old fiberglass layer over it

nlzmo400r
01-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Ive always used JB weld, then respray it flat black (mine's black anyway, so i always give it a new coat). Mine cracks on corners, so i just drilled 2 small holes on either side of the crack, and use zipties to pull the sides together so they dont crack again.

Xren17
01-31-2005, 01:00 PM
I've read on it and it seem the best thing for you to do is use 3M Duramix 4040. It's design specifically
to repair that kind of damage.

skills
02-08-2005, 12:16 PM
here's what i did.

1. drill a few holes on each side of the crack
2. epoxy it back together
3. stich the split back together using zip ties
4. zip tie it back on your car

ryan :)

Dutchmalmiss
02-09-2005, 12:04 AM
i've been doing the fiber glass bit and the lip broke in two different locations at different times in the past. it still looks good too. i'm trying to salvage what i have because these lips are pretty hard to come by.

Tygma
02-09-2005, 12:13 AM
ziptie stitch + the strong duct tape + paint. you'll be fine, but seriously, it'll crack again in another spot or just come apart from that one.

zero.counter
02-09-2005, 12:25 AM
Fibermold the entire lip.

Cover the entire lip with aluminum foil. Use the fibercloth, fleece, then one layer of shredded fibermat as a finishing touch. Allow the cure times in between and then sand smooth after it has hardened. Slide off of old lip and drill holes in approximate locations. If you want, you can cover the lips with a thin layer of a plastic filler, then sand smooth again. That lip will be rock hard if proper cure times and layers have been completed. Of course this was a quick rundown designed just to get a point across...

Thank god for my old system bulding days...

s13gonwild
02-09-2005, 12:30 AM
fiberglass sheet the back end of the lip. And then use fiberglass bondo to fill in the front..then sand ect...should come out like new. If you need anymore help feel free to pm me.

infinitexsound
02-09-2005, 12:54 AM
< works at a bodyshop xren17 is right.. use that 3m stuff its made to repair bumpers.. but theres also technique in usin that stuff , when u use it , the surface has to be clean and marred so the stuff has some bite and can hold on its own.... the tube might be 15 bucks.. theres like 2 parts to that stuff...if i were u , just squeeze the 2 parts on to a sheet and mix is with a stick like a popsicle stick and apply after youve prepped and cleaned the area. lay it smooth enough.. then block sand paint... a good technique to do is drill holes on each side of the area all the way thru and apply it on the back also, what this does is give it more strength... : )