PDA

View Full Version : Business major?

crazy9ceguy
01-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Just wonderin if business majors make alot of money? and is the career rewarding and fun? im thinkin bout majoring in real estate or working for the WB.

SilviaDriver
01-18-2005, 10:42 PM
get into business if you enjoy it, not to make money. real estate can make you money, but i know some people who dont enjoy it

EH9
01-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Comment removed.

crazy9ceguy
01-18-2005, 11:27 PM
hey, international bsiness major, now that sounds like fun! EH9, any more info on it? or would u prefer PM?

nocomedown
01-18-2005, 11:36 PM
i'm an international business major too. i love travelling, and i'd say i'm pretty ambitious and open to new things, so it seemed like the way to go.

The ROMAN
01-19-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm a business major, just because it's general and affords the most opportunities, ya know. I've worked in an office before and it's ok. I don't feel like I need an exciting job, thats what hobbies are for.

Twinkie
01-19-2005, 01:38 PM
After High School, I was thinking about business major because it makes good money. Although, I was always into art. But after thinking about it, i was like "wait a minute...wtf am i doing thinking about going into business major? i love art!"

so im now in Industrial design. =)

follow what you like to do...remember that you gonna have to stick with your major for most of your lifetime unless you wanna waste some time to change majors in the future. dont listne to your parents if theyre telling you what to do. its your life. live it.

Twinkie
01-19-2005, 01:43 PM
one more thing. My brother is in real estate. It sounds like a super good career and its very flexible and makes super good money if your looking for a fun flexible good money making career. all he does is sits around his house signing papers and hes getting paid like $25,000 checks each time he sells a house which is probably 1 a month on a good ass role, or like 1 in two months. maybe even multiples sometime. he owns like 3 houses and a peice of land that hes investing on.

The only time he needs to go "out" to work is when he needs to show houses to clients. I was thinking of doing real estate on the side int he future, but it would interfere a lot with my own plans.

stp9154
01-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Real estate agent can make a lot of money. You can get a sale license by taking classes and a test or two, then you can sale properties and get commission (some % for yourself and the rest goes to your broker). However, you still need to work for a broker. Can't go alone yet. After 2-3 years, you'll be qualified for a broker license. This is where you double or triple you income (atleast). More tests and classes to get this license, but worth every minute of them. You can do all this without a college degree in most states. Some colleges even offer a prep 3-4 credit class to prep you on the tests, etc.

If you are really committed, try that and get a college degree at the same time. By the time you're done with school, you'll already have a great starting point and resume (should you decide to go into a regular "9-5" job). Good luck and like others have said, have fun doing it first, money will come faster that way (most of the time lol).

SilviaNinja240
01-19-2005, 02:08 PM
business degrees don't mean squat! We're a dime a dozen, you'll have to build up a reputable portfolio of experience before you'll be able to make anything

nocomedown
01-19-2005, 04:37 PM
business degrees don't mean squat! We're a dime a dozen, you'll have to build up a reputable portfolio of experience before you'll be able to make anything
business degrees from good universities are worthwhile
especially ones who do everything in their power to set you up with a good company when you graduate

nissantuner22
01-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Business degree + UF= Win!

OptionZero
01-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Just make sure you get shitloads of experience at good companies, whether through school program, internships, summer shit, whatever.

That, and if you want to go to grad school, double major. They love people that add diversity to their student population, and there's nothing better than a sparkling English, Communications, Psychology, or some kinda science to go next to Business on the transcript.

nissantuner22
01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
true true, thats why this summer im getting an internship at G.E.

crazy9ceguy
01-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks for your inputs people!! I work for toysport right now, they deal with mainly Toyota and toyota drift cars (ie Corollas), Supras, Mr2s, Lexus, etc. But yea, my boss knows lots of connections in Japan and TRD of europe, that sounds cool and all, so maybe international business is a fun thing, I want to mainly do business between Japan and the US.

Logan
01-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks for your inputs people!! I work for toysport right now, they deal with mainly Toyota and toyota drift cars (ie Corollas), Supras, Mr2s, Lexus, etc. But yea, my boss knows lots of connections in Japan and TRD of europe, that sounds cool and all, so maybe international business is a fun thing, I want to mainly do business between Japan and the US.

I graduated with a B.S in Bus. Admin, but your degree really doesn't mean squat, it's what you do with it. But I will say that it matters where you graduated from. The more prestige the college has increases your chances of getting hired in certain places (especially if the person hiring is an alumni).

If you want to do business with Japan, I'm assuming you can speak Japanese and understand the culture. Doing business in Japan is a whole new ballgame.

airsoft
01-22-2005, 12:31 AM
I'm too currently a Business Major IBM. Internation Business & Marketing.
I rather have gone my other route 5 years ago of going into service for the Marine Corps 0311.
SlipDisc Lumbars 4/5 got the best of me.
I talked to ROTC Air Force and those bastages don't accept my Major >:|

OptionZero
01-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Oh yeah, and I don't know about business specifically...but undergrad work isn't TOO different from school to school. I know in the UC system here in California, it seems pretty much the same. Doesn't really matter where you go to college if ur planning to go to post graduate work, jsut make sure you have the necessary classes, experience, and solid grades (or a trend of improvement). Oh, and take and ace the necessary test: GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, GRE, etc