PDA

View Full Version : flexible masking tape? the kind used for graphics? Where to buy?

rancid240
01-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Ya know the flexible thin tape they use to tape off paint for graphics like flames etc. Where do they buy that stuff? :rawk:

S14DB
01-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Painters tape? Paint supply house?

nismo2491
01-15-2005, 11:01 PM
they don't use a flexible tape
they use normal tape then cut out the flames and if you don't know what you're doing I'd highly suggest not doing it yourself.
KEvin

rancid240
01-16-2005, 12:11 AM
I am not doing my own flame job, haha
I know they do it that way, but they also have this other kind of really thin tape that they can make curves and shapes with, and it wont rip like usual tape. That is what I am looking for.

nrg
01-16-2005, 12:48 AM
it's masking tape. if you know how to use the tape you can flex it.
Let me guess. you saw that one show on tv, saw them putting flames on the car with the 5mm tape and now you want to do it to your car too. I saw that episode.

nismo2491
01-16-2005, 01:00 AM
hey if you wanna be a flamer go right ahead :fruit:

j/k
seriously though what I meant was if you don't know how to mask flames or stuff like that, or any design, and cut it out don't do it yourself, have somebody that knows how to do it help you because otherwise you'll have to do it over and over because its hard to get right.
KEvin

rancid240
01-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Im not doing a design or anything, nor would I ever paint something on my car by hand. I just need to mask off something that isnt straight. You cant flex regular masking tape, it will bunch, rip, and fold over itself. I want to buy that really thin tape that you can actually curve etc.

90RS13
01-16-2005, 03:50 AM
like s14db said, it's called painters tape. It's usually blue. It flexes easily, and it comes off of painted surfaces without peeling paint or leaving residue, thus why it's called painters tape. Sometimes they have it at walmart, but a paint supply store should definantly have it.

MakotoS13
01-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Im not doing a design or anything, nor would I ever paint something on my car by hand. I just need to mask off something that isnt straight. You cant flex regular masking tape, it will bunch, rip, and fold over itself. I want to buy that really thin tape that you can actually curve etc.

not if you do it right :)

the stuff you're talking about looks like a roll of pin stripe tape but it's more like electrical tape. its used for making intricate designs but if you wanna waste the cash instead of CUTTING a piece of normal tape to fit....

rancid240
01-16-2005, 12:41 PM
not if you do it right :)

the stuff you're talking about looks like a roll of pin stripe tape but it's more like electrical tape. its used for making intricate designs but if you wanna waste the cash instead of CUTTING a piece of normal tape to fit....

Thats exactly what I want. I cant cut a normal piece of tape, the design is too big and too round (I am masking off the face of a wheel so I can gloss the lip after polishing)

nrg
01-16-2005, 03:07 PM
you just dont know how to use masking tape correctly.
I use the same tape (beige color) and I prep cars in paint booth all the time. You just have to hold the tape right and put your finger at the right location to flex it. The thicker the tape, the more ripple. The thinner, the less. It's not rocket science.

SimpleSexy180
01-16-2005, 03:32 PM
i would think it would be better to just get the stuff thats made to do it...

rancid240
01-16-2005, 04:18 PM
i would think it would be better to just get the stuff thats made to do it...

Thank god for you.
I DO NOT want to use regular masking tape, since the line is perfectly round and I just dont see it coming out looking very nice if I use some crap masking tape from home depot. That kind of tape is made for straight lines, I want to use tape specifically made to curve.

nrg
01-18-2005, 04:37 AM
alright then. stop by at your local automotive paint shop. PPG, paint master, etc. and ask them about the tape. I'm sure it's made by 3M.

NZO
01-18-2005, 08:57 PM
http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=1983&keyword=37165