PDA

View Full Version : Wonderin if this is usual Ticket Fine.

S14RB
01-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Hey guys I was driving my s13 @ night from work (Bay Area ,CA), got pulled over and was given a speeding ticket. I'm not refuting the ticket @ all, just wondering if doing JUST THAT, is what is best.

I got off VERY easy IMO, I was in the fastlane doing about 115(and the night before 120). I wanted to catch up to traffic, and get home fast to get a good nights rest. Big huge gap in traffic, but didn't know there was a cop (prolly with headlights off, trailing me).

So I slow down to 80(when i caught up to traffic), then punched it to 90 again to get around this big rig,(then slowed down), but by that time I had lights on me.

Cop comes up and says"Do you know how fast you were going?" Of course I say "Sorry officer, no". He says "Well you were doing about 90". ( Ahh relief almost showed on my face, cuz he could of caught me doing 110+ like only 3 miles back.)

Anyways he was an awesome officer (VERY nice, I wish more were like him), Im used to dealing with nazi cops wanting to ticket me for some crap (in a poorer neighborhood). When they should be ticketing the people who can actually afford stupid tickets. Anyways getting off-topic.... he said " well I'm going to reduce your speed and say it was 80-90 , because I think if its 90+ it will double your fines." " Just try to slow down from now on, don't want you to get hurt during the holidays".

So I recieved the ticket yesterday and its " Speed over 65" 1) pay 121.00 OR attend traffic school and pay $145.00) Which is a no brainer, Im not going to have my rates go up lol, nor a record. This is my first ticket(from anything). So I guess Ill pay $30.00 @ trafficschoolonline, and the $145.00.

So facing up and paying up, and doing traffic school online IS the best solution for this case right? Being that im eligible for Traffic School, and its my first ticket.

I'm 18 btw, good ($175.00) lesson learned, and since then I haven't been speeding. And watching my speed ALOT* more. Just wanted to know if this is about the right amount of fine for the speed. Could of been worse , I could of had my car impounded, and me cuffed lol. So no complaining= here.

Salty_X
01-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Yeah those nice cops almost make you think cops aren't too bad... then you run into the ones that cuff you and shove you in the back of the car, then you hate them all again. Just be glad you ran into the nice one when you were doing something bad, and hope you run into the mean one when you're not doing shit.
The fine doesn't sound bad at all, good luck.

thx247
01-10-2005, 12:22 AM
That fine sounds normal, in fact its exactly what I got recently for a 80mph ticket. Lucky you were not going over 100, that fine is $400ish min, and 2 points no school. 100mph sucks.

rancid240
01-10-2005, 12:44 AM
If this is a one point violation, you might want to save the traffic school option in case you get a ticket for more points.

idlafie
01-10-2005, 01:06 AM
I got off VERY easy IMO, I was in the fastlane doing about 115(and the night before 120). I wanted to catch up to traffic, and get home fast to get a good nights rest. Big huge gap in traffic, but didn't know there was a cop (prolly with headlights off, trailing me).

Probably not..cops DON"T drive with headlights off...1). they are not THAT stupid & 2). Not part of their training...only done when driving into a TACTICAL situation....not while following a speeder....cop was probably mixed in with the tail end of traffic you came up on. You probably didn't see him cuz you were so focused on your driving & he was hidden in the slowlane by traffic.

So I slow down to 80(when i caught up to traffic), then punched it to 90 again to get around this big rig,(then slowed down), but by that time I had lights on me.

Cop comes up and says"Do you know how fast you were going?" Of course I say "Sorry officer, no". He says "Well you were doing about 90".

He probably spotted you as you were coming up on him and into the back of slower traffic & decided to keep an eye on you....You just made his job somewhat easier when you punched it to get around the big rig. If he were following you while you did your 100+ speed run, he would have busted you way before....you would have noticed his headlights coming up on you AND the flashing lights way before you got to the back end of slower traffic. Most cops I know have a tendency to turn their lights on when deciding to chase speeders that are WAYYY ahead of them....boils down to liability for the cop.
ID
PD Crime Scene Tech

PS:
I wanted to catch up to traffic, and get home fast to get a good nights rest.
Yeah...getting home fast for a good nights rest....Well...it's a good thing the cop didn't have to call the coroner's van for you....you could have gotten all the blissfull unending sleep you've ever wanted......

Jeff240sx
01-10-2005, 01:25 AM
2 points? 1 point? I think every state has a different point system. Florida is 3 points for speeding, 4 points for 16+ mph over. Like 8 points for reckless driving and other stupid shit. 12 points in a year and you're done driving.
-Jeff

S14RB
01-10-2005, 04:15 AM
Yeah...getting home fast for a good nights rest....Well...it's a good thing the cop didn't have to call the coroner's van for you....you could have gotten all the blissfull unending sleep you've ever wanted......[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I havent had much sleep lately. Maybe an unending sleep would of been a little helpful lol.

As for the headlight thing, I've seen a couple(CHP) do it on the freeway. Usually though just as their right behind, and soon about to hit their lights. But then again it could be as you say" a tactical situation".

And yes he could of called the coroner's van for me, If I had fallen asleep behind the wheel(due to lack of sleep)? Or I guess if some deer ran across lol? But I don't think you read where I said" a big gap in traffic". And I was going 90 for about 3 seconds to get past the rig. So the chances of me crashing were just as average as anyone else actually "in traffic".

But thanks for the input.

Var
01-10-2005, 10:14 AM
If this is a one point violation, you might want to save the traffic school option in case you get a ticket for more points.

traffic school doesnt work for major violations like reckless driving, and if it does it will only reduce it by one point anyways.

to the original poster, the fine sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I got a ticket for 72 in a 55mph zone on a 2 lane highway(in the mountains in los altos hills). My fine was 122 bucks and i did my traffic school online, it took me about 90 minutes.

Teb74
01-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Just got a ticket the other day and my fine was $145. 45mph in a 30mph. Dohh!

Pepperoni
01-10-2005, 06:41 PM
fine sounds about right. traffic school was cheap for me and you can finish in like 20 minutes and when you receive the completion paper in the mail it will say 8 hours completed :) ill try to find the site i used

S14RB
01-10-2005, 07:59 PM
fine sounds about right. traffic school was cheap for me and you can finish in like 20 minutes and when you receive the completion paper in the mail it will say 8 hours completed :) ill try to find the site i used

Thanks I appreciate it. And thanks for everyone's input. Sounds to me the fine was right on target. I just wanted to make sure, since it was my first ticket.

nistech
01-11-2005, 12:49 AM
one time i was goin 124mph on the freeway and then i suddenly saw cop lights on my rear mirror and then i let him chatch up to me then i pressed my little button that switches my'license plates then i rolled my window and gave him the thumbs down :down: like in the gladiator and then i proceeded to the next off ramp and lost him with my power drift.

Jessi
01-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Yeah, you got over very easily! He was nice to you. Be thankful. I got caught going 20 mph and a state trooper pulled me over and let me go with a written warning. I don't know how I got lucky, because state cops are usually the worst.

Jessi
01-12-2005, 12:11 AM
one time i was goin 124mph on the freeway and then i suddenly saw cop lights on my rear mirror and then i let him chatch up to me then i pressed my little button that switches my'license plates then i rolled my window and gave him the thumbs down :down: like in the gladiator and then i proceeded to the next off ramp and lost him with my power drift.

Hahaha.. sounds like a cool movie. You're playing though, right?

fliprayzin240sx
01-12-2005, 12:14 AM
F*ck that, go to traffic school and try not to get another one for a while. Your lucky, cuz some state has 2 ticket standards. One set for 21 yrs old and up *cheaper* and the other which is almost doubled. I had a ticket in GA for 97mph and that came out to $181...my friends bro got a ticket for 91mph and that came out to $310. And both were on 70mph zones. Your under 24, last thing you need is for your insurance to double itself.

S14RB
01-12-2005, 03:34 AM
Your under 24, last thing you need is for your insurance to double itself.

So very true. I have 8 years before insurance is at a reasonable price to begin with. So traffic school= me.:)