PDA

View Full Version : teach in japan?

MEisGQ
01-03-2005, 12:53 AM
So I just graduated from UC Davis and I have always been interested in the education field... However, I graduated mid-year and its a pita to find a job in education at this point besides substituting - and I hear its hard to find positions for that too.... now to the point...

Has anyone tried teaching in japan? Any suggestions/advice? I just checked out the NOVA (teachinjapan.com) website and I am actually considering the program. Are there other programs that I can check out? Basically, any information or testimonials about the programs will be appreciated. Oh, and I already thought about the endless possibilities of hookin up my car stateside while I'm over there. ;)
Thanks in advance,
Shawn

S14DB
01-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Is this one of the groups that teaches English to Japanese busness men?

SilviaNinja240
01-03-2005, 02:01 AM
I already summited an application, I will know by the end of Jan./Febuary if i'll be going. If you are looking to get in quick AEON is having interviews pretty soon (in January I think, so you have to sign up fast), they're pretty much like nova.

DocTaDrifT
01-03-2005, 04:07 AM
my friends bro went to teach in japan and he said he didnt make enough money to eat so when he came back he lost like 20 pounds

mrmephistopheles
01-03-2005, 05:49 AM
<This is Lisa>
The cost of living out here is very high, and apartment with no insulation runs about $1,800+ a month, our officers that live in town pay on average over $2,600 a month for baisc living conditions....rent, electric, water, trash and PARKING. Keep in mind, the weather sucks and it is either really cold or really hot and you have to pay to condition the air for the places you live in...Gas...hahaha, yeah like 115Yen per liter...car insurance isnt too bad, we pay $360 each car for a 6month time span. It all adds up. As for parts, even used is expensive being Gaijin. Until you have established a repoir with a shop/store it adds up, unless you find a kickass deal. Parts aren't always cheap like people assume...cheap parts takes a lot of time and a lot of buisness being conducted...or hookups.

Now, as far as teaching...look into teaching for the military schools on base for children. I am not sure where exactly you would go BUT, I would suggest trying a military website (don't ask I have never looked into it) or reasearching through your college for it. I am sure they have a lot of references to help guide you. Good luck with finding a job and if you do come out to japan, make sure to email us and let us know where your going~ Lisa

radhaz
01-03-2005, 05:55 AM
It all depends on who you work for, nova doesn't pay too bad but they're like the McDonalds of english schools in Japan. For every train station it seems there's a Nova the pay definitely isn't the best out of the schools over there but the entrance requirements certainly aren't as strict. You might want to look at other schools perhaps some that are held in better regard (ie pay better) like Geos (http://www.geoscareer.com/) .

Best of luck to you

Flybert
01-04-2005, 01:49 AM
JET program is also a good option. You will most likely be in the country side but you will have plenty of money to live off of.

radhaz
01-04-2005, 07:43 AM
My friend in Jet worked in Chiba, she loved it and the pay & time off was good but I thought you had to get into that program prior to leaving University (not after). The other problem with Jet is there's a set time limit kind of like a foreign exchange student, so that even if you enjoy the job at the end of your contract you have to return.

sr240mike
01-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Stay in america!! Maybe you could help us raise our testing average compared to the rest of the educated world. Us Americans is dumb.

Sil Beer S13
01-04-2005, 12:42 PM
A friend of mine tried to do that program. But they didnt accept him.

w1ngzer0
01-04-2005, 02:12 PM
just google for "english teaching jobs in japan. A bunch of websites i go to all the time will come up.

I would start with NOVA. Then while you're there, look for other work. Companies in japan only like people that are in japan. There was a Y400,000 job. i was well over qualified for the job and because i wasn't in Japan i didn't get a single email

Sorry about the bad grammer. Kind of thinking of other things and just wokeup :o

ZK
01-04-2005, 03:15 PM
My friend did the JET program, he said it was very good although they will place you randomly somewhere in Japan which kinda sucks if you are stuck in some countryside with nothing around. My cousin did the NOVA program and the pay does suck but its a way to get in the country and look for other stuff. JET = teach school age children, NOVA = teach business people.

If you know Japanese it is a big plus, but it isnt necessary. Plus they treat gaijin (foreigners) like crap and it is near impossible to find a permanent job doing anything there unless you are pretty determined and know the right people.

MEisGQ
01-04-2005, 10:32 PM
I appreciate the help everyone...
I have about a week left to decide so I am going to contemplate the decision for a couple more days and see if I get any more advice from the board.

kazuo
01-04-2005, 11:14 PM
If you know Japanese it is a big plus, but it isnt necessary. Plus they treat gaijin (foreigners) like crap

This is 100% true. Even if you know Japanese (fluently), if you are a foreigner, they will treat you like shit overall. The worst part is, since its part of the culture to be indirect about shit, its all gonna be covert and done behind your back, which is the worst kind IMHO.

So, keep that in mind if you plan to stay for extended periods of time. But don't let it discourage you... just be prepared for it, as it will most likely be something you are not used to.

ZK
01-05-2005, 03:01 PM
This is 100% true. Even if you know Japanese (fluently), if you are a foreigner, they will treat you like shit overall. The worst part is, since its part of the culture to be indirect about shit, its all gonna be covert and done behind your back, which is the worst kind IMHO.

So, keep that in mind if you plan to stay for extended periods of time. But don't let it discourage you... just be prepared for it, as it will most likely be something you are not used to.

Very true, they will be very nice up front but behind the scenes it is very different. We're very lucky that in the US we are tolerant of other cultures and people, Japan is very homogeneous and xenophobic. It is so entrenched in their culture they may do it and not even realize what they are doing.

My friend who was in the JET program uncovered all sorts of stuff and tried to make things better for the US teachers but everything went back to the way it was after he left... kinda sad.

Younger people in major cities are more accepting but only because it is trendy to like American stuff now.