PDA

View Full Version : is sanding glass possible? (specifically referring to S14 Kouki Glass Lenses)

TurDz
12-29-2004, 03:05 AM
For people who are familiar to the S14 USDM glass headlights, there are three vertical lines going through the area of the glass which the projector shines through. There are also about 6 little rectangles which defract some light upward for overhead lighting.

Does anyone know if you can actually sand down these small parts in the glass, and if you do, can you get it smooth and clear again? they're just small protrusions which I know I could sand down, but if I cannot obtain a clarity through the sanded portions, there is no point.

I'm interested in doing this to optimize my HID output. I need as few "impurities" in the glass as possible. Ideally, I would use a clear plastic lense as most auto manufactueres do now.

citizen
12-29-2004, 05:05 AM
how do you think they make lenses?

the head
12-29-2004, 08:22 AM
sanding is difficult on glass you should actually grind it then get a glass polishing kit to buff out the ground areas

TurDz
12-29-2004, 03:00 PM
sanding is difficult on glass you should actually grind it then get a glass polishing kit to buff out the ground areas

yeah, I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with this kind of operation. I was thinking of using a dremel. I'm pretty sure I can get them ground down, I guess I should try to look around for a glass polishing kit too.

OptionZero
12-29-2004, 04:01 PM
chris, you better buy a spare set of headlights just in case...

SimpleS14
12-29-2004, 05:30 PM
^---- agreed...get another set just incase. Glass is made out of the second most resistance mineral (commonly used)...quartz. So the best way to sand it down is to use something else that contains quartz....such as sand...hence sandblasting. :D BTW....the strongest mineral out there is diamond.