PDA

View Full Version : Interior rattles

driftyour40
12-15-2004, 09:45 PM
So I decided to fix all the little interior rattles I had on my car. The idea came to me one day when I was thinking that my car didn’t rattle when it was new. Nissan used felt in between the plastic pieces in the dash and the door panels. Over time this felt smoothed out and hardened so it no longer worked properly.

So, I went to a crafts store and bought sticky-backed felt and fixed all the rattles.
Here is a write up on what I did.

-The little plastic piece behind the door handle. You have to take this off to get the door panel off. Once you have it off scrape all old felt off. Then re-apply the new felt.

-On the door vent cover, you’ll need to take this off it’s held on by 6 clips and two screws, and the vent needs to be unscrewed as well. Once you have it off do the same as before. I applied the new felt all the way around the edge (On my car it looked like Nissan didn’t put it all the way around, so I did). Once this is done just put it back on the door panel. NOTE: this part still creaked a little w/ it off the car but didn’t once it was back on.

-Then the window and lock panels. Now on my car the screw on the bottom that is supposed to hold it on is broken. I’m assuming this is common because both sides are broken on mine. On this car and my old one. I took some rubber hose that was slightly bigger than the hole and forced it in, and a longer screw w/ a washer that’s slightly bigger than the hole, and that setup is holding it like new. Also same thing on this, scrape of old felt and re-apply. I also put felt all the way around this as well, even though it didn’t seem to be that way from the factory.

This all helped out a lot. Between my sub, and my exhaust the rattles where starting to get to me. I bought two sheets of felt but only used half of one. 89 cents a sheet at Wal-Mart, not bad for what it did for my sanity. All in all I’d say it took care of about 90% of my interior rattle w/ just the door panels. I’m going to do some dash pieces later. I know others have similar problems so I wrote it up, to help them out. Good luck.

HyperTek
12-15-2004, 10:18 PM
ehh.. but if you find a way to quieten the interior as well as save wieght, hit me up!!

driftyour40
12-15-2004, 10:29 PM
The sheet of felt is 9x12" and weighs in at 1.1 oz's if you have no interior I can't help you. Unless you bring you car to me and let me barrow it for a few days. :D

EH9
12-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Comment removed.

ZK
12-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Try to find out where each rattle is coming from and what is causing it. I dynamatted my doors, and used a bunch of the felt pads from my Lexus "noise kit" all over and it helped... A lot of times it is loose screws or clips, you need to pad stuff that is rubbing on each other etc.

but then after all the suspension mods it makes all sorts of noise so I gave up. :wiggle:

twitchy
12-15-2004, 11:20 PM
arent there plastic plugs that break easily and have to be replaced holding all that stuff on??

do you think changing to new struts could help too?

driftyour40
12-15-2004, 11:28 PM
I just changed the original post to more of a write up on what I did.

arent there plastic plugs that break easily and have to be replaced holding all that stuff on??

do you think changing to new struts could help too?

Twitchy, new struts might help, I have new struts and I still had to do this to fix my rattles.

twitchy
12-15-2004, 11:45 PM
mine is brutal,the climate where i live is so weird...sometimes you drive and its 30 below zero (celsius) and the stuff in the car is brittle and you can hear it like cracking and popping almost, but when its warm its better but still the damn thing is a rattlebox...i know the rear area where the speakers go is all loose but i need to get some of those plugs that come out to fix it properly i think...its the constant change in temperature i think over time loosens everything up

s13Dr1ft
12-16-2004, 12:12 AM
i dont have interior...in any of my cars =0\

the only thing that rattles is the button for the e-brake.

But yes, Nissan did use alot of plastic peices that wear out and have to be replaced, behind the dash is a prime example. i guess im just to lazy to rip it apart and worry about rattles.