PDA

View Full Version : brake problem...pedal goes to ther floor

Kasai
12-13-2004, 12:02 PM
I recently replaced the driver side rear caliper due to it being stuck closed, and I'm now having problem with the pedal going all the way to the floor. I already replaced the master cylinder after the problem occured, but it hasn't seemed to help at all. We've also bled the entire system about 8 times, and there is no leaking or air bubbles (as far as we can tell). The only thing we can come up with now is that the proportional valve is malfunctioning. I really don't want to bring it to nissan and get raped on labor when I can do it myself, so any help would be appreciated! :bash:

p.s.- Along with the caliper I installed new rotors for both rear wheels, and new brake pads all around.

AKADriver
12-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Did you bench-bleed the master cylinder when you installed it?

S13Grl
12-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Bench-bleeding sucks!

Do you have ABS? If yes, did you bleed the actuator? Double check that everything is on tightly.

ledzeppelin240
12-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Bench-bleeding sucks but it is a lot better than trying to beed the air out of in when it is on the car. If you do have ABS, and it works the way some GM's do then there will be air in there that is going to take hours possibly to bleed out. All depending on how the actuator works...

I am really not quite sure the way the ABS on our cars works, I don't have ABS so I am yet to really worry about it. A month or so and then I'll learn it....

Is the MC topped up? Are there any leaks? Stupid questions but you never know...

Kasai
12-14-2004, 12:01 AM
I will have the try bench bleeding the MS. The car isn't equipped with ABS.

Kasai
12-14-2004, 10:05 AM
I forgot that the master cylinder was bench bled before it was installed, so I can rule that out. Still no luck with the brakes working though, so it looks like it's off to Nissan.

weirdstyles.net
12-15-2004, 01:43 PM
<~ st00pid

what is/how is bench bleeding?

AKADriver
12-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Bleeding the master cylinder itself.

You disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder and attach short lines that run back into the reservoir, then just pump until all the bubbles are out. It's called bench bleeding because it can be done with the master cylinder out of the car, with the MC in a bench vise.

If you don't do this before attaching the brake lines to the master cylinder it will take FOREVER to bleed the system and you might never get all the air out.