PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dimebag Darrel

93DRIFT
12-10-2004, 05:38 PM
so i know this is a 240 forum, but i just gotta pay the man my respects

dimebag was a hugely inffluential part of my life and i know alot of other people too, so everyone sit back and have a whiskey in his name

rest in peace darrel abbot

Var
12-10-2004, 05:40 PM
So sad to here what happened to him. I couldnt believe it when i was listening to Howard Stern the other morning. He was one of the few technical guitarists left in a 3 piece metal band.(excluding the singer). RIP

Heartwork
12-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Dimebag, technical guitarist?
blah

sr_sil80
12-10-2004, 07:34 PM
shouldn't this be in the off topic section?

420sx
12-10-2004, 07:51 PM
i wander whos gonna take over the Clubhouse now....

mrmephistopheles
12-10-2004, 08:14 PM
OT, toolbags *moved*

PinkPanther
12-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Check to make sure threads of the exact same topic don't already exist before starting them...sux about dime though.

This is the goddamned thread you should have posted on (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=68484)

MakotoS13
12-10-2004, 09:36 PM
tech guitarist? dimebag was one of the best that ever LIVED. he's recorded some stuff nine kinds of drunk that's better than anything vanhalen ever produced.

eff technical, dimebag was the MAN. now all i have left to idolize is zakk wylde :(

PinkPanther
12-10-2004, 09:41 PM
eff technical, dimebag was the MAN. now all i have left to idolize is zakk wylde :(

No love for Dave Mustaine, Kirk Hamett, John Petrucci, or Yngwie Malmsteen?

Kreator
12-10-2004, 09:44 PM
mleh

sucks that he died, but never been a pantera fan and never thought they deserved the exposure they got but then what do i know... actually i consider most american metal pretty shitty... with some exceptions ofcourse

word on what pinkpanther said, except id like to add jeff hanneman to the list :D well, what the hell, add mikael ekerfeldt and
alexi "wildchild" laiho as well

PinkPanther
12-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Apparently you aren't cool or drunk enough to appreciate pure against the grain American metal. :fawk2:

Kreator
12-10-2004, 10:08 PM
heh i'm cool/drunk enough to appreciate what i consider worth appreciating.
Bands on my exception list (as in the ones that dont/didn't suck):

DT (although i hardly consider them metal)
Death (RIP Chuck, will be 3 years in 2 days :wtc: )
Slayer (but they sold out so fuck em :squintd:, they used to be cool )
Devin Townsend
Overkill

everything else is pretty much shit :-/

PinkPanther
12-10-2004, 10:13 PM
No hard feelings, I was joking. I fucking hate Slayer, they are too Punk to be metal, Death is fucking awesome though. You're not a fan of Dream Theater?

Kreator
12-10-2004, 10:23 PM
No hard feelings, I was joking. I fucking hate Slayer, they are too Punk to be metal, Death is fucking awesome though. You're not a fan of Dream Theater?

Heh, what do you think "DT" in my list stands for? :)
slayer used to be good, show no mercy, seasons in the abyss... pretty much everything before undisputed attitude, then it was downhill

I just can hardly imagine a band out of US to rise and match opeth or children of bodom or vader.

pantera had some cool songs, but most of their stuff was really mediocre imho.

Thrill Capsule
12-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Dream theater used to be cool, now they suck... all religious and shit, its scary :ughd:

PinkPanther
12-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Sorry Kreator, I overlooked it..oops.

Dream Theater is incapable of sucking. Too much excessive talent.

Heartwork
12-11-2004, 02:42 AM
I just can hardly imagine a band out of US to rise and match opeth or children of bodom or vader.

pantera had some cool songs, but most of their stuff was really mediocre imho.

are you forgetting Cynic and Atheist? they were one of the highly technical bands without the meaningless stuff...
theres actually a great band from Latvia called Neglected Fields that you should check out.....only theif first album Synthinity is worth checking out though, haha their second album was produced by Peter Tatgren and sounded like crap...typical Abyss studio production...
i totally agree though, that most american metal bands suck, save it for Bay Area thrash to kick anyones ass though (Vio-Lence, Forbidden, TestAmenT)...
i used to love Opeth up to MAYH, Still Life was pretty half assed, then Blackwater Park or whatever the hell that album is called was pretty good...

but yea, no one will stand up a chance against English/German/Scandanavian/Swedish stuff (early 90's-mid 90s)

oh yeah, im actually listening to Extreme Aggression right now ;) Kreator rules.

Kreator
12-11-2004, 10:05 AM
are you forgetting Cynic and Atheist? they were one of the highly technical bands without the meaningless stuff...
theres actually a great band from Latvia called Neglected Fields that you should check out.....only theif first album Synthinity is worth checking out though, haha their second album was produced by Peter Tatgren and sounded like crap...typical Abyss studio production...
i totally agree though, that most american metal bands suck, save it for Bay Area thrash to kick anyones ass though (Vio-Lence, Forbidden, TestAmenT)...
i used to love Opeth up to MAYH, Still Life was pretty half assed, then Blackwater Park or whatever the hell that album is called was pretty good...

but yea, no one will stand up a chance against English/German/Scandanavian/Swedish stuff (early 90's-mid 90s)

oh yeah, im actually listening to Extreme Aggression right now ;) Kreator rules.

Never heard cynic before (trying to fix that as im typing this :)), atheist... kreator defined straight up death metal with pleasure to kill a long time ago, and since then i have moved to appreciate more melodic death metal stuff (children of bodom, amon amarth, hypocrisy, strapping young lad, opeth probably fits this category as well) :)

I like the bands i'm listening to "to progress" in their musical stylings, so that every album brought something new that i never heard from them before :) Kreator is doing a damn fine job with that. So did amorphis (although the final style change was really out of my league), vader, COB, Opeth.
Nile, Pantera and alot of Testaments stuff (unfortunately and purely my opinion, i know the band is considered one of the best, i just never "understood" them i guess.. just as i never understood german Destruction)... sounded all the same to me :-/

Heh, alot of REALLY underground poor european bands will give american metal bands a run for their money. Dornenreih, te deum... hell even australians finally produced a kickass band :)

heh, a year and a half ago i was at what i to date consider hte best concert ever. Featured Goatwhore, amon amarth, vader, kreator, and the main act was Nile. As usual the amount of fans in the club kept growing as the show progressed. And once Kreator got off stage... half the room (including me and my friends) left the show. I guess it tells alot right there.

AlligatorBling
12-11-2004, 10:32 AM
if you find eaaarly pics of panteria they were acutally originaly a glam/hair metal band... RIP Dimebag, ill burn one the size of my ring finger for ya.

Var
12-11-2004, 06:03 PM
My favorite metal bands:

Death
Opeth
Slayer
Cannibal Corpse
At The Gates
Necrophagist
Children of Bodom(once in a while)
Pantera
Soilwork

and 300 more i cant think of

BTW Kreator you talked about enjoying when bands "Progress" Have you heard Damnation by Opeth? I think it's my favorite cd they have. Kind of strange considering...it's not metal.

Heartwork
12-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Never heard cynic before (trying to fix that as im typing this :)), atheist... kreator defined straight up death metal with pleasure to kill a long time ago, and since then i have moved to appreciate more melodic death metal stuff (children of bodom, amon amarth, hypocrisy, strapping young lad, opeth probably fits this category as well) :)

i wouldnt say Kreator (Tormentor) defined death metal...far from it actuallly....they are straight up German thrash metal, along with Sodom and Destruction....Pleasure to Kill was pretty brutal back when it came out, and i still think its more brutal than Slayer's Reign in Blood, its just less accessible...
lots of rumor and too many undocumented bands trying to claim "death" metal, but Possessed were given the title when they coined the term "death metal" even wayyyy before Seven Churches came out....

alot of the American bands these days are clones of each other and totally unoriginal. Maybe a few here and there that stands out, i.e. ARGHOSLENT, but at least America has one strong genre= Grindcore....its safe to say non-American grindcore bands sucks (except early Napalm Death) ;)

whateverjames
12-11-2004, 09:34 PM
so i know this is a 240 forum, but i just gotta pay the man my respects

dimebag was a hugely inffluential part of my life and i know alot of other people too, so everyone sit back and have a whiskey in his name

rest in peace darrel abbot
I actually shed a tear when I heard about this, Wednesday night. :wtc:
It was cool that they did a tribute to him on Headbanger's Ball.

Var
12-12-2004, 12:31 PM
nice to know there are some metal heads around. i just assume everone's into rap now