PDA

View Full Version : Zilvia is broken.

mrmephistopheles
04-25-2021, 03:35 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering.

We know, we just can't do shit about it until WeST decides to get back to me.

Corbic
04-27-2021, 12:09 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering.

We know, we just can't do shit about it until WeST decides to get back to me.

What is the likelihood of that happening? I saw one post somewhere that it's been two years since anyone has talked to the owner.

Assuming that continues - is there any alternative option? Mirror the site and move it over to Zilvia.Com/cc/jp.co/.rus or something?

burnsauto
04-27-2021, 01:19 PM
hmm...I vote we move to carrier pigeons. It'll help cut down on useless banter (like this post).

240meowth
04-27-2021, 10:18 PM
https://i.redd.it/fnfxgzf8fpr21.jpg

Vatche
04-27-2021, 11:18 PM
I hope we can save Zilvia

TheRealSy90
04-28-2021, 09:34 AM
Can we place a mechanic's lean on the title and if he doesn't get back in 30 days someone else can take over. I worry that some day it won't be recoverable.

slider2828
04-28-2021, 10:50 AM
Can we just swing by his house and hold pitch forks / torches at his door.....

Just to be a little more demanding?

KA24DESOneThree
04-28-2021, 04:10 PM
He's on LinkedIn. I hate LinkedIn with a passion and don't have Premium but if you have Premium and want to cold-message someone, shoot me a PM and I'll link you to his profile.

Future240
04-28-2021, 05:25 PM
^^^ Bet he would ignore that too.

I hope someone comes up with something to save the site. With the 400z coming out. I'd love to see the site updated to VB5 and a 400z section added.

towlie
04-28-2021, 07:33 PM
Surely someone can acquire the domain and continue running it, like with nrr (alex heres looking at you)

mrmephistopheles
04-29-2021, 01:52 AM
What is the likelihood of that happening? I saw one post somewhere that it's been two years since anyone has talked to the owner.

Assuming that continues - is there any alternative option? Mirror the site and move it over to Zilvia.Com/cc/jp.co/.rus or something?
I've downloaded a backup of the forum database, but apparently there's an issue in vB where the process will time out, resulting in an incomplete dB. I don't have a copy of vbulletin to test it on, so getting a direct backup from the server directly would be ideal. I don't have root, admin, ftp or any other access to it. Just the vB admin panel on web front-end.

Can we place a mechanic's lean on the title and if he doesn't get back in 30 days someone else can take over. I worry that some day it won't be recoverable.

That'd be nice.

KA24DESOneThree
04-29-2021, 11:11 AM
One of my other staple forums (r3vlimited.com, an e30 forum) is running into the same issues: broken site, poor performance, unresponsive owner.

I'm willing to pay a monthly subscription; I'm not currently signed up for Premium because it's hard to subscribe to something run by the Invisible Man.

I hope Mark doesn't take offense to this thread. I'm in no way advocating a hostile takeover and I don't think any of us are. We just want something that we've been a part of for the better part of two decades to continue in a usable, useful fashion and for the knowledge base to be accessible to both us and future owners of these cars.

Future240
04-30-2021, 01:36 PM
We just want something that we've been a part of for the better part of two decades to continue in a usable, useful fashion and for the knowledge base to be accessible to both us and future owners of these cars.

Exactly. I have been on Zilvia since I was in my teen y ears as a lurker and I am in my 30's now.

There was a time when the for sale section would have PAGES uploaded in a single day.

When the chat section would go back a page or two.

If you search something S-chassis related 9.5/10 it is leading you back here.

Plain and simple I love the site and you assholes and do not want to see it die. :wavey:

DP-AE86
04-30-2021, 02:59 PM
Exactly. I have been on Zilvia since I was in my teen y ears as a lurker and I am in my 30's now.

There was a time when the for sale section would have PAGES uploaded in a single day.

When the chat section would go back a page or two.

If you search something S-chassis related 9.5/10 it is leading you back here.

Plain and simple I love the site and you assholes and do not want to see it die. :wavey:

I remember a time you'd refresh there'd be either half a page of new listings or bumps. lol.

I dont wanna see Zilvia die. sounds tragic. I still lurk some of the pages for help. I actually have a bunch of bookmarked pages.

DatCamber
04-30-2021, 11:36 PM
Does no one have contact with him? I work in IT and I'd love to assist with this. It would be an easy job. I heard the site is self-hosted in house, could be wrong though. Need to move it to a proper server with better uptime and fix all these DB errors!

Walperstyle
05-01-2021, 10:47 AM
Humanity is broken
-Nihilist

Kingtal0n
05-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Its not broken its just exclusive. Like one of those "you can't come here" deals that makes people want to get in even that much more

good for business 10/10

Future240
05-01-2021, 02:45 PM
Does no one have contact with him? I work in IT and I'd love to assist with this. It would be an easy job. I heard the site is self-hosted in house, could be wrong though. Need to move it to a proper server with better uptime and fix all these DB errors!

Its less having contact with him and more of him not responding to said contact.

I think the servers are at his house IIRC.

zeitgeist
05-01-2021, 04:05 PM
Is he alive?
Or was there drama?

240jake
05-02-2021, 12:36 AM
also in IT, this should be an easy problem to resolve if we can get a full database dump. someones gotta be able to reach this dude. We have so many feels about this site due to being on here since literally we were kids.

Phlip
05-02-2021, 01:34 AM
also in IT, this should be an easy problem to resolve if we can get a full database dump. someones gotta be able to reach this dude. We have so many feels about this site due to being on here since literally we were kids.

We repeat: contacting is not the issue. Receiving a response to said contact is.

KA24DESOneThree
05-09-2021, 01:02 PM
I'ma send him a letter. I have an address, I'm sending a letter.

240KA
05-09-2021, 08:19 PM
We repeat: contacting is not the issue. Receiving a response to said contact is.

ok so up your "contacting game" then. what contact methods have you guys tried? sounds like the method that will get a response hasn't been tried yet. linkedin, facebook, myspace, text, email, phone call, sending letters to his house...

DatCamber
05-10-2021, 06:06 AM
Its less having contact with him and more of him not responding to said contact.

I think the servers are at his house IIRC.

I did some digging, and see the servers aren't self hosted. Actually hosted by Digital Ocean... so the drives shouldn't explode overnight. The VBulletin version is just so damn out of date and vulnerable to a lot of exploits. Really should be updated.

TheRealSy90
05-10-2021, 09:46 AM
A VB update and "400z" section with the release of the new Z car could really help this site thrive again. The new Z is going to be great. Now that I think of it, aside from the infrequent Z32 posts, I don't really ever see any Z33 and Z34 posts on here. Seems the Z guys are using other forums?

Kylerkickass240
05-10-2021, 10:55 PM
I'ma send him a letter. I have an address, I'm sending a letter.

I hope this works. Make sure you're nice so he doesn't double down on his unresponsiveness :kiss:

Phlip
05-11-2021, 03:12 AM
ok so up your "contacting game" then. what contact methods have you guys tried? sounds like the method that will get a response hasn't been tried yet. linkedin, facebook, myspace, text, email, phone call, sending letters to his house...

Everything short of showing up to the house, now shut up.

burnsauto
05-11-2021, 06:51 AM
hmm..maybe we could just all move over to nico...scumbag up what they've got going on over there.

Whitey13
05-11-2021, 07:14 AM
hmm..maybe we could just all move over to nico...scumbag up what they've got going on over there.

The concern isn't creating new content or discussions.

The concern is that 99% of 240SX questions you ask in Google link to a Zilvia thread.

jr_ss
05-11-2021, 07:53 AM

Stop it! I left Nico to come here.

burnsauto
05-11-2021, 08:23 AM
The concern isn't creating new content or discussions.

The concern is that 99% of 240SX questions you ask in Google link to a Zilvia thread.

Correct. and half the time I find myself still rifling through all the b.s. to find little snippets of information. If you could boil down this site to just useful information, it'd be half the size.

Not that useless chitchat and insults aren't needed in any good forum, it all has it's place. I come for the info, I stay for the bullshit.

Future240
05-11-2021, 08:53 AM

Naw fam. We throwing up Z's round here. We don't roll with NICO.

Plus I want actual information on these cars, not 9 pages of people shitposting with a single post with the actual info.

Corbic
05-11-2021, 11:25 AM
is 240sxforums still a thing?

Future240
05-11-2021, 02:04 PM
Barely. This are the most recent two posts.

Suggestions and Requests
510 sr20det wiring
Datto?3 d ago0
S13 240SX (89-94)
What bumper is this send help!
Angelg86?6 d ago0

Future240
06-23-2021, 06:07 PM
Sooo did West fix the site??? I have not had any Data Errors in a minute.

dizzariot
06-24-2021, 07:14 PM
Just got a database error last night...big sad...

Agamemnon
06-25-2021, 02:11 AM
I see we’re still having issues with people getting on the premium side of things. Who do we have to harass this time?

afishysilvia
06-25-2021, 02:45 AM
I see we?re still having issues with people getting on the premium side of things. Who do we have to harass this time?

Crimson helped me last time.

mrmephistopheles
07-03-2021, 07:59 AM
Sooo did West fix the site??? I have not had any Data Errors in a minute.

Still radio silent as far as I know.

I see we?re still having issues with people getting on the premium side of things. Who do we have to harass this time?

Ideally nobody. I'd hate for people to pay for premie only to have Zilvia got tits-up in a week.

Crimson helped me last time.

He's a good feller.