PDA

View Full Version : washington mutual scam

Andrew Bohan
12-01-2004, 11:35 AM
i just got this email saying that there have been fraud attempts on washington mutual accounts, and so internet account access has been limited. if i want to restore full access i have to click this link.

so i clicked the link to see what the hell it really was and it takes you to the login screen. but wait, the url is an ip address, not wamu.com

so in a different browser, i go to wamu.com then to the login page, and they're identical except for "Washington Mutual will never ask customers for their Password or PIN through e-mail or phone calls," and the padlock icon in the corner on the real page.

then i ran tracert on both addresses, and they're not not even close at all.
so i checked around and sure enough, there have been recent phishing attempts.

yep, this email about fraud is itself a phishing attempt. be careful.

Ghettokracker71
12-01-2004, 12:54 PM
I am not a user/member of washington mutual,but thanks for the lookout thread.

SilviaDriver
12-01-2004, 02:55 PM
i have an account with wamu.com ill juss never open an email

rps13_fastback
12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
i have an account with wamu.com ill juss never open an email

Good looking out, I use WAMU online so I'll be on the lookout for this.

HyperTek
12-01-2004, 04:08 PM
i use bank of america, but still i never really trust emails. Thanks for the look out tho, my mom started doing online banking, so Ill let her know as well.

Inland180
12-01-2004, 05:25 PM
thanks for looking out!!!:)

Phlip
12-01-2004, 11:11 PM
I got one in my WORK email today when I got in, immediately grabbed our business securities guy, and let him know... I have seen him nuke folk for the text messages they have sent from their phones (think white bish/kobe level) and he looks at it and writes it off: "oh, you didn't click on the link? cool, just delete that shit, I've seen it before"

SilviaDriver
12-22-2004, 06:13 PM
wanted to bring up this old thread because i just recieved the email right now...i looks like this below!!

"Dear Washington Mutual customer,

Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity og the online banking community we have issued this warning message. It has come to our attention that your account information needs to be update due to inactive members, frauds and spoof reports. If you could please take 5-10 minuts out of your online experience and renew your records you will not run into any future problem with the online service. However, failure to verify your records will result in account blocked. Once you have verifed your account records your internet banking services will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

Please follow the link bellow and renew your account information:

https://login.personal.wamu.com/logon/logon.asp?dd=1

For assistance, log in to your Washington Mutual account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.

Best Regards, Washington Mutual Administrator

funny how they dont even type "washing mutual admin" haha

bobafett
12-22-2004, 06:58 PM
5-10 minuts

the copy alone sounds suspicous. thanks, as a WAMU online user i will lookout for this!

teknoKs
12-22-2004, 07:25 PM
f**k look how many words are misspelled!!!

Andrew Bohan
12-22-2004, 07:51 PM
if you're gonna fool people, you gotta put on a good show...

evilimport
12-22-2004, 08:20 PM
I get emails like this from paypal, ebay, washington mutual (i dont have an account), and from several other places, I just delete them when they show up in my inbox....

evilimport
12-22-2004, 08:22 PM
and its not a washington mutual scam its some asshole posing as a washington mutual administrator...scam.

SilviaDriver
12-22-2004, 08:54 PM
and its not a washington mutual scam its some asshole posing as a washington mutual administrator...scam.

thank you captain obvious.

jeprokz
12-22-2004, 10:29 PM
good lookin out man... thanks...

theicecreamdan
12-23-2004, 12:35 AM
I got an e-mail like that but saying it was a paypal account update deal...

thanks for the lookouts.

evilimport
12-23-2004, 12:44 AM
thank you captain obvious.
the thread name states otherwise..... :jerkit:

Drift101
12-23-2004, 01:42 AM
this form of scamming is called "phishing". basically the people who try to pull off the scam create a legit looking site or notification, they then have you input some of your personal information. There has been a lot of that going on lately. a good indicator of phishing is if the ip address isnt the same as that of a real corporation or whatnot. But some unsuspecting victims do fall for it. Some of the scams involve ebay, paypal, and other well known sites. so be careful. companies usually NEVER ask for your personal info over e-mail, only after you have officially logged into one of their REAL sites.....

aznpoopy
12-23-2004, 01:57 AM
thanks for the warning; i also have a wamu account.

Andrew Bohan
12-23-2004, 02:02 AM
the thread name states otherwise..... :jerkit:

it's just semantics. some people interpret it to mean a scam that has something to do with washington mutual. some interpet it to mean a scam that washington mutual is doing to people.

wingsnthangs
12-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Can the IP be traced and reported? Can criminal charges be pressed?

sr240mike
12-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Here is what a whois search turned up of the link above. Markmonitor is a phishing fraud protection company. Weird.

Domain Name: wamu.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
Administrative Contact
(NIC-14324742)
iFolio, Inc.
1201 3rd Ave, 40th Floor
Seattle
WA
US
[email protected]
+1.2063596677
Fax- -
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
DNS Administrator
(NIC-14324433)
Washington Mutual, Inc.
1111 3rd Ave.
MS EET 0920
Seattle
WA
US
[email protected]
+1.8669268662
Fax- -

Drift101
12-23-2004, 04:08 PM
"We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to belive that your account was hijacked by a third party without your authorization.
If you recently accessed your account while traveling,the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you.However,if you are the rightfull holder of the account, click on the link below,fill the form and then submit as we try to verify your identity.Click here to update your ebay account
If you choose to ignore our request,you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account.*Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received.
Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.
Regards,
Safeharbor Department
eBay Inc.
"

Thats what some people got in their e-mail, followed with an ebay logo.
now the link "Click here" leads you to this address, "http://registrationssllogin.tripod.com/index.html"
isn't there something "phishy" about that?? No pun intended... hehe...... but anyways, yeah, its a fucking tripod servername. I know for a fact that Ebay does not use a possible free web host to have you send your info... and they ask for really personal information. REAL personal, like your mother's maiden name and your cred card and pin .... thats just too much.... usualy a name and address will do, and they will contact your e-mal and have you sign in to update info.