PDA

View Full Version : Car starts but won't stay on

manny(ΣAE)
03-30-2021, 12:21 AM
So I started my car last week after finishing putting in the turbo and realized I had a oil leak...I locked my car keys inside. So I took the battery cables off...car was still running. So I took the the alternator cable off and car was finally able to turn off and stop spilling oil. When I did manage to get my keys and turn the car on it will turn over but die immediately after going under 1k rpm. It didn't do this before. Before doing the turbo swap, I had switched the battery, alternator and starter. Any ideas on why it dies?

Silv1401
03-30-2021, 11:01 AM
It would help to know what car and engine you're talking about, but first of all you should never pull the battery cables or alternator when the car is running. You could have fried any number of components, but you might have killed the alternator's regulator. Can you keep the car alive if you pump the throttle?

You gotta kill a running car? then you should go for the MAF first cause that will kill it immediately without breaking things.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

manny(ΣAE)
03-30-2021, 09:03 PM
It would help to know what car and engine you're talking about, but first of all you should never pull the battery cables or alternator when the car is running. You could have fried any number of components, but you might have killed the alternator's regulator. Can you keep the car alive if you pump the throttle?

You gotta kill a running car? then you should go for the MAF first cause that will kill it immediately without breaking things.

95 s14 ka24

It was in sper of the moment because ALOT of oil was coming out, but didn't think of maf until after I got the car to turn off.

And yes I can Keep the car alive if I pump the throttle.

Silv1401
03-30-2021, 10:44 PM
That's almost certainly MAF then. Your car isn't registering air mass. Make sure the plug is secure. If it is then, make sure there isn't anything on the MAF wire, too. If both of those checkout then you may want to start looking for shorts by digging into your ecu.

manny(ΣAE)
03-31-2021, 12:39 AM
That's almost certainly MAF then. Your car isn't registering air mass. Make sure the plug is secure. If it is then, make sure there isn't anything on the MAF wire, too. If both of those checkout then you may want to start looking for shorts by digging into your ecu.

Ok thank you

Silv1401
03-31-2021, 12:42 AM
If you check your MAF out, and it seems fine I would get your alternator tested, too. Possible you blew the regulator, but I don't think your symptoms reflect that very well as the battery would still hold up the spark for a while.