PDA

View Full Version : I don't know how to fix what I broke :(

Shaker.Est.84
03-04-2021, 02:50 PM
Hi All,

Hope everyone is well :)

The car is a 1995 240SX Zenki USDM. I have an S13 Blacktop SR20DET in it.
I wanted to see if the car would turn over from the key. I hooked up the battery and then tried the key. What I got was a clicking sound from the drivers side foot well fuse box but no engine cranking. I did charge the battery completely before trying this so I could rule a dead battery out right away. I removed the 2 ignition relays from the fuse box and verified they functioned properly. I then though I could jump the ignition relay to send a signal to the starter but this is where I messed up. I jumped the wrong terminals in the relay and it sparked, after that when I turn the key there is no more clicking as well no dash lights but there are headlights and brake lights working. The ignition relays were not installed when I shorted the terminals.

I checked ALL fuses on the drivers side and the ones under the hood. There is still 12v signal at the relay terminal.

The engine will turn over if I jump the starter to the battery but will not start.

Does anyone have a possible idea on what I may done/broke?

Thanks for your advice in advance, Cheers:)

s13silvia123
03-04-2021, 03:56 PM
check ecu if you shorted it.

Silv1401
03-04-2021, 06:03 PM
Yeah probably shorted ecu. Your original issue however sounded like it could be fuel pump relay/fuse, which would also explain your lack of firing up.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

kennedy8383
03-04-2021, 06:17 PM
Does the cel come on while turn ignition switch? Do you hear fuel pump? Mostly likely the ecu is cook.

Shaker.Est.84
03-04-2021, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the replies,

No the fuel pump is not coming on anymore, No more dash lights.

mechanicalmoron
03-07-2021, 04:17 AM
Does it get cranking signal from the PCM? Even if so, putting 12 back on that wire is (IME, not as an engineer or anything) harmless, and unless the PCM was actively trying to actuate it you can't have shorted a PCM output to ground.

I know nothing, just spitballing here.

Shaker.Est.84
03-13-2021, 04:20 PM
Figured it out yesterday, The 30A fuse under the hood was blown but I did not see that it was blown the first time around checking. So after that the car still would not turn over. I checked to make sure power was going where it should then noticed that the clutch safety switch was attached to the clutch pedal but the wire from the harness to connect it is nowhere that I can see. I removed the relay for the clutch under the hood then ran a jumper on the relay and it cranked �� Looks like I might be able to start it soon. I have to double check the connections on the Diftech coolant lines to the turbo, make sure they are in the right order. I am also waiting on a fitting for the block so I can connect the Diftech oil feed line to the turbo.

jedi03
03-16-2021, 07:49 AM
glad to see got figured out! ex gf had partially blown main fuse, looked like was good but when pulled cover off I was able to use my test light and felt the need to prod it where I saw it was not fully connected, was able to make connections sometimes but would randomly die