PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket steering wheel question

Kingtal0n
02-04-2021, 12:46 PM
My last two 240 came with an aftermarket steering wheel already installed, quick release.

I like it but since I didnt install it, I am not sure if its even installed correctly.

I noticed on both cars that the large center nut that holds the steering wheel on seems to come loose all by itself after 3-4 months.

So here is my question before I get crazy and stake the dang thing.

Is there some kind of special hardware I am maybe missing? A lock washer perhaps? Any harm in adding one?
Or a special way to tight this specific nut?

Because I tried loc-tite and a wrench and that doesn't last very long. And I am afraid to overtighten it or break it...

slider2828
02-04-2021, 12:50 PM
That interesting? Even on track and DD I've never had that come loose.

It says 30 FTLB, which isn't a lot....

Are you getting alot of vibrations through the column? that is a weird problem.

Is your nut a flange nut?

Kingtal0n
02-04-2021, 06:26 PM
The car is smooth as warm butter flowing down from a heated blanket, no suspension issue or alignment or vibration to speak of.

I don't recall it having a flange or any kind of locking or washer mechanism. And maybe that is what I need for it.

Its weird both cars have the exact same issue, but luckily there are 99 ways to stop a nut from going loose. I just dont wana ruin it, steering wheel mods scare me, kinda wish it had the OEM wheel still. But the thought of fooling with a 25 year old airbag system is also scary so... yeah Im pretty happy with the Quick release

If there is no issue with me using a lock washer and/or serrated flange nut I will be visiting Ace shortly....
any chance you have the thread spec handy?

SilviaSativa
02-05-2021, 11:09 AM
Are you sure you're getting it torqued to spec? I just installed my Nardi wheel last weekend and made the mistake of torquing that nut to spec after putting the wheel on the hub lol..

30lbs didn't seem like much but I felt like the torque wrench wasn't registering, so I lowered the torque wrench setting to make sure I wasn't about to break something then increased it back to 30 ft/lbs. I think it just felt like a lot from holding the steering wheel with one hand and tightening the nut with the torque wrench in the other hand.

5t341tH
02-06-2021, 03:48 PM
On my other car, it came with a barbed washer on the original wheel

cream
02-10-2021, 07:39 PM
Mine has also never came loose that I know of but the WB quick release covers the bolt... If it matters I always need a steering wheel puller to get it off the splines even with the nut removed. Can always use some blue loctite incase incase it does get loose..

Kingtal0n
02-11-2021, 08:58 AM
Its fine atm but if it comes loose again I am going to try the flanged/serrated style nut next if i can find one.
maybe a lock washer if there are plenty of threads

Mainly was just wondering if I am missing some kind of hardware or installation procedure I've never installed an aftermarket steering wheel,

thanks