PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Hello! Advice to aspiring S13 owner?

Xavi1337
01-26-2021, 04:33 PM
Hello everyone, this is kind of an intro/help thread.

I'm looking to get into an S-chassis, preferably an S13 hatch.

Is the drift tax still a real thing? I want something that's somewhat daily drivable and preferrably with an SR20 swap done.

My budget is 10k, can this budget net my needs realistically? Or should I adjust it?

This will be a 2nd car, so any minor details that i may have to finish off (ex: body work/paint) isn't a big deal.

I'm coming from the Miata community and my Miata is having problems carrying bigger items for work. Which is why I'd like to shoot for a S13.

Hope the S-Chassis community would welcome a Mazda guy haha!

https://i.ibb.co/sRrngjD/xav2.jpg (https://ibb.co/KhHd56Q)

brndck
01-27-2021, 09:30 AM
240s are currently WAY taxed.

I'm not saying it isn't justified, supplies are getting thin.
IMO a z33 or G35 would be a much more readily available vehicle, and at this point, cheaper than a 240.

$10k is plenty of budget for a well sorted 240 though, just do your research, take your time looking, and don't feel like you HAVE to buy the first one you go check out.

also, i have a BARE s13 coupe shell to sell you if you wanna start a project!

Xavi1337
01-28-2021, 12:19 AM
Thanks for chiming in!

As far as a shell goes, unfortunately my living situation doesnt really allow for working on a car to that extent. Most i can really do is suspension/body work stuff.

I would love to build an S13 and learn on the way but its just not likely at the moment :(.

I'm glad to know that my budget is plenty. That was my main concern

shoottothrill
01-30-2021, 01:01 PM
Your budget should def get you an sr s13 but yeah have to agree crazy taxed.

Only thing I'd be concerned about is make sure you have space money and resources to be able to completely tear it down if you need. If you don't, it's gonna be a rough go when 7 things invariably break since that's how a 240 do

ZenkiKid
01-31-2021, 04:00 PM
For the price i think you should look into g35s or 350z's at this point.

S chassis are crazy taxed. Better off putting that money into something much newer.

DiscountPirate
03-15-2021, 04:40 PM
You can get a rolling chassis for $1-2k, a complete oem decent condition one for $4-6k, or one with an sr swap for $8-$10k +. If you are serious about getting a good condition one with a good sr swap you can find one for your budget, you just have to spend a few months religiously searching and be ready to jump when the opportunity arises.