PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body rebuild service?

5t341tH
12-22-2020, 06:54 PM
Hey just seeing if any of you guys know of a throttle body rebuilding shop in SoCal? I need to rebuild my n15 throttle body because it?s leaking boost. Thanks!

NukeKS14
12-26-2020, 10:14 PM
Don't know them directly but a quick google search turned this up;

https://socalporting.com/our-services/throttle-body-porting/

If they can port them, they should be able to rebuild them as well.

There are quite a few shops out there that do mail-in as well. http://maxbore.com/ That guy has a pretty good reputation and I've been looking into sending my KA throttle body his way when I run out of stuff to mess with on my S14. I'd call and talk to them about what you want done but I don't imagine either would have any trouble taking care of the seals.

Good luck, keep us posted.

spooled240
12-27-2020, 06:50 PM
Just take it apart, measure the shaft diameter and order the seals. Make sure to orient the seals for boost. Some NA tb's like the KA have the seals flipped for vacuum.

zombiewolf513
12-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Just take it apart, measure the shaft diameter and order the seals. Make sure to orient the seals for boost. Some NA tb's like the KA have the seals flipped for vacuum.

so if i use a KA tb on an SR i should take it apart and flip the seals?

spooled240
12-27-2020, 08:33 PM
so if i use a KA tb on an SR i should take it apart and flip the seals?I would flip them. The seals on my 97 KA were backwards for boost. Idk how SR tb's are, but Evo tb's have the seals with the open side facing inwards.

5t341tH
12-28-2020, 06:26 PM
You guys got a source for seals? My googling only finds shaft seals for evos'

spooled240
12-28-2020, 09:48 PM
You guys got a source for seals? My googling only finds shaft seals for evos'I can't remember, but it was a site that sold all kinds of seals for many applications. Maybe McMaster Carr. Get the measurements for the shaft and the outer sleeves they are pressed in to and you can find the right ones you need. Make sure they are oil & heat resistant and rated for high pressure. The factory seals are squishy and weak and should be replaced with strong seals with the metal jacket and spring. They look like tiny front main seals.

5t341tH
01-01-2021, 10:38 AM
I can't remember, but it was a site that sold all kinds of seals for many applications. Maybe McMaster Carr. Get the measurements for the shaft and the outer sleeves they are pressed in to and you can find the right ones you need. Make sure they are oil & heat resistant and rated for high pressure. The factory seals are squishy and weak and should be replaced with strong seals with the metal jacket and spring. They look like tiny front main seals.
Thanks. Only thing is, when I took apart the throttle body it looks nothing like the SR or KA one. One one side, it's sandwiched under a brass plate. The other side is behind a bearing. I don't have replacements for those parts so I didn't want to take it apart any further and risk not having a working throttle body at all. Wish I had an extra to mess around with instead